Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #61
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
You are 100% lit my friend.

There's no denying you stereotyped an entire geographical region.How can you deny this?You referred to the entire south as "those people".I pointed this out.Simple.You changed your tune in a post afterwards in a reply to buckman as this:"A blanket statement that racism is acceptable across the board down there probably is unfair, but I do strongly believe that it is quite prevalent."Your original post referring to "those people" still stands.

This changes nothing,you made an ignorant comment about an entire geographical region of the USA.And yes I'm sensitive to your lame-ass comments as many of "those people" have died in war so that you can make such lame-ass comments.
Well, "those people" are from an ass-backwords, sister-marrying, roadkill-eating, uneducated society; that have hardly made a baby step towards progress. At least that's what I must have said based off of your inexplicable sensitivity to the issue.

Also, I secretly hate everyone from South of the Mason-Dixon line - I guess it's not much of a secret any more. You're still a clown.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #62
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Well, "those people" are from an ass-backwords, sister-marrying, roadkill-eating, uneducated society; that have hardly made a baby step towards progress. At least that's what I must have said based off of your inexplicable sensitivity to the issue.

Also, I secretly hate everyone from South of the Mason-Dixon line - I guess it's not much of a secret any more. You're still a clown.
JD...you can't effectively backpedal from yet another foolish statement if you continue to lash out .....serenity now......maybe try pulling some numbers out of your butt again that you can't substantiate....like this...95% of people from the south are racists and it's even higher in restaurants..... for laughs......try distracting them with your unique brand of humor rather than rage...serenity now....

Last edited by scottw; 10-20-2009 at 07:02 AM..
Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #63
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, "those people" are from an ass-backwords, sister-marrying, roadkill-eating, uneducated society;
What About Moonshine and NASCAR

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #64
Raven

heh heh heh

this is a fun thread

Marijuana is the "new" moonshine down there.
the Mountain people are some of the most clever
and innovative people in the whole country.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #65
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

I wish I can remember his name, but there is a British guy that does a travel show in the US. Its a grea show because its a foreign opinion of the US. He is very candid and basically thinks the North is full of pompous, cold, unfriendly people while the south is a warm inviting place that welcomes people with open arms. Its a shame that all of us were misguided in our education by believing the civil war was about slavery. It was about the rights of states to govern themselves. Slavery was just one issue. News flash - states in the union HAD SLAVES - Missouri, Maryland, Delaware HAD SLAVES !!!
The victors write the history books, and it slants history its way. yes, there are some backass people in the South, but take a drive through Lowell, Southie, Revere, Cranston, etc and there many, many backass people living right around here, more concentrated than down south.
I dont know I keep repeating myslef, but I've posed a number of times that this guy is wrong, he should be fired. However, as a strong believer in the constituiton - all the good and bad, I believe he has the right to follow his beliefs and not do something he feels is inappropriate. Even if we, the moral high ground, feel its wrong.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #66
Slipknot
Super Moderator

what is a backass person?
sounds like there might be a few posting on this thread
Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #67
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I dont know I keep repeating myslef, but I've posed a number of times that this guy is wrong, he should be fired. However, as a strong believer in the constituiton - all the good and bad, I believe he has the right to follow his beliefs and not do something he feels is inappropriate. Even if we, the moral high ground, feel its wrong.
He had the right to believe it, as do the neo-nazi's, neo cons, panther party, nation of Islam, Rush followers etc.. ( like that grouping ) have their rights to believe what they want, BUT as a civil servant, he doesn't have the right to deny someone their right to marry. he could have said I don;t approve and half-assed the ceremony, but he shouldn't have denied it. Fire him as a JOP.

I think we are saying the same thing here RIJ....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #68
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

yup

Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #69
scottw

who cares???? is this the only jop in the state? didn't he actually do these kids a favor? would YOU want to have this guy officiate your wedding and/or sign your marriage certificate and find out later that he harbored these feelings and was involved in this kind of controversy? .....he made them public and he should suffer whatever scorn, loss of business or ability to provide the service legally that comes with his actions....he's not elected is he? or a government employee, I thought he was just a jop that probably dresses up like Elvis and does drive thru weddings in his garage....unless these kids really had their hearts set on being married by Elvis, they should find someone to marry them that respects them and everyone will be happy...there are like 300 million people in this country...funny how worked up people can get over one Elvis impersonator....oh crap...does this make me intolerant of Elvis'
Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #70
Joe

Nope.
What he did was a violation of the couple's civil rights.
So long as their paperwork is in order, his job is to professionally officiate and not comment publicly or privately with respect to his personally held beliefs of approval or disapproval or discriminate in any manner.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #71
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

There are Racists and A-Holes in all 50 states......none are better and none are worse.....(Well, Maybe Alabama )

it all depends on the experiences you have when you visit an area. All it takes is one a-hole to make you think that northerners are snobs or southerners are inbread. You could meet 10 people and 9 of them could be the salt of the earth....but that 10th one is the one you will reference as to character of the area. Its easier to lump people together in a category than try and see the differences.

Earlier it was stated the JOP was an elected official. If that is true then he is drawing money from tax dollars.....possibly this couple's tax dollars. So he needs to put his personal beliefs aside and do his job, which was to issue a marriage license. After that, if he didn't want to perform the ceremony for personal reasons...provided its not a requirement of his elected position....he can pass.

If it is part of his elected position then he has a choice...marry them or not. With that choice comes options.....if he marries them then he gets paid...if he doesn't then he gets fired....but that his choice. If he can sleep better at night with whatever he chooses...great. His beliefs are intact and he can find other employment...

Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #72
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Nope.
What he did was a violation of the couple's civil rights.
So long as their paperwork is in order, his job is to professionally officiate and not comment publicly or privately with respect to his personally held beliefs of approval or disapproval or discriminate in any manner.

what a wonderful world it would be

wouldn't you rather know? do you want a stealth racist issuing licenses or is it better to get this out in the open and save these poor kids a bunch of trouble? As long as he keeps his mouth shut everything is fine?....that's like saying, as long as the pedophile doesn't touch the kids he can teach a third grade class...eventually, there's gonna be an incident

sounds like what should happen IS happening....

"His refusal has prompted calls for an investigation or resignation from civil and constitutional rights groups and the state's Legislative Black Caucus.

Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal said in a statement a nine-member commission that reviews lawyers and judges in the state should investigate.

"Disciplinary action should be taken immediately — including the revoking of his license," Jindal said."

or maybe they could all just go to the White House for a beer?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #73
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

"Disciplinary action should be taken immediately — including the revoking of his license," Jindal said."

end of story.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #74
scottw

and they should confiscate his Elvis costume
Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #75
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
He had the right to believe it, as do the neo-nazi's, neo cons, panther party, nation of Islam, Rush followers etc.. ( like that grouping ) have their rights to believe what they want,

you forgot the nuts that actually believe in Global Warming
Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #76
Joe

I would like to kill several people. I have fashioned Voodoo Dolls of these people, and I stick pins in them in them each morning, and I spend about ten minutes a day meditating on bad thoughts about them. I've gotten a few over the years also. (Or maybe their demise was a coincidence).
But I'm smart about it. I contain my thoughts and actions to the small makeshift Voodoo room I've set up in my basement. Nobody knows - because outwardly, I'm polite and kind to all - the Thought Police got nothing on me. Ha! Ha! Ha!
If a person is a closet racist, but he never articulates this, and his actions never reflect his racism, then society never knows he is a racist because there is no evidence of such. Once a person takes action, evidence emerges and it becomes a different matter.
We don't abandon our ideals simply because an idiot JOP in an Elvis costume falls short of fulfilling his sworn obligation of upholding them.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #77
scottw

Quote:

I would like to kill several people.
this IS a good thread
Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #78
Joe

I'll trade you a Jointed RM Swimmer for some hair and nail samples and a recent photo.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #79
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I would like to kill several people. I have fashioned Voodoo Dolls of these people, and I stick pins in them in them each morning, and I spend about ten minutes a day meditating on bad thoughts about them. I've gotten a few over the years also. (Or maybe their demise was a coincidence).
But I'm smart about it. I contain my thoughts and actions to the small makeshift Voodoo room I've set up in my basement. Nobody knows - because outwardly, I'm polite and kind to all - the Thought Police got nothing on me. Ha! Ha! Ha!
If a person is a closet racist, but he never articulates this, and his actions never reflect his racism, then society never knows he is a racist because there is no evidence of such. Once a person takes action, evidence emerges and it becomes a different matter.
We don't abandon our ideals simply because an idiot JOP in an Elvis costume falls short of fulfilling his sworn obligation of upholding them.
like it or not, racism is not illegal. Discrimination is and those who do, should be punished.

I love this stuff, I could debate all day - here is one for you -

Bill is a computer programmer, great resume, great personality, etc. He is interviewing with Sally for a new position. The interview is goign extremely well, they hit it off, Bill is exactly what Sally needs. As the interview concludes, Sally says she is off to lunch, and will walk Bill to his car. As they get to Bill's car, Sally notices the swastika and other nazi parphanalia in Bill's car. Bill says goodbye to Sally and reiterates his interest in the role. Sally is Jewish.
So, will Bill get the job? Of course not. However - were his civil rights violated? Sally did not hire him based on his personal beliefs, that is illegal. Although Bill's affiliations may be deplorable, he still has rights. Now what it Sally was muslim and Bill had a cross or christian symbols in his car? Millions of Muslims were massacared by Christian while they pulled out from the Crusades? Where do we draw the line with freedom and discrimination. That was the point I was trying to get across with my posts. Interesting stuff for those that like to think.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #80
scottw

Quote:
I'll trade you a Jointed RM Swimmer for some hair and nail samples and a recent photo.
make it two and you're on
Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #81
Bronko

Nice work Clammer....

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 10-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #82
Joe

The sign read, "Jack-Booted Nazis - Need not apply"
So I took my armband off, and went in to ask them why.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that if you're a JOP and it can be proven that you refused to marry an interracial couple - you've probably opened yourself up to some kind of legal action.

My comments were confined to that context, however I did not reiterate that point in the second-to-last paragraph - sorry.
Correct, there's nothing illegal about being a racist.
The other stuff I can't debate because I've spent too much time over here today.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #83
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
like it or not, racism is not illegal. Discrimination is and those who do, should be punished.

Bill is a computer programmer, great resume, great personality, etc. He is interviewing with Sally for a new position. The interview is goign extremely well, they hit it off, Bill is exactly what Sally needs. As the interview concludes, Sally says she is off to lunch, and will walk Bill to his car. As they get to Bill's car, Sally notices the swastika and other nazi parphanalia in Bill's car. Bill says goodbye to Sally and reiterates his interest in the role. Sally is Jewish.
So, will Bill get the job? Of course not. However - were his civil rights violated? Sally did not hire him based on his personal beliefs, that is illegal. Although Bill's affiliations may be deplorable, he still has rights. Now what it Sally was muslim and Bill had a cross or christian symbols in his car? Millions of Muslims were massacared by Christian while they pulled out from the Crusades? Where do we draw the line with freedom and discrimination. That was the point I was trying to get across with my posts. Interesting stuff for those that like to think.

All Bill needs to do is Prove it....thats the hard part. Unless Sally says I'm not hiring you because you're a Nazi then he doesn't have a dock-martin to stand on.

Thats where the JOP eff'ed up.....he openly told them why he wasn't doing it.

Gotta have the proof....

Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #84
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Nice work Clammer....

Ya, i think 7,500 of his 7,513 posts have been on the Poltical Forum.

Always trollin and causin trouble.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #85
JohnnyD

Quote:

Discrimination is not illegal. Discrimination of a protected class *is* illegal.

If two guys apply for a position and are equally qualified, except one wears brown shoes and one wears black shoes with white trim. Say you don't like people that wear shoes that aren't a solid color, you hire the brown shoe guy. You just discriminated, but it's not illegal.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #86
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

spence may disagree, hes the shoe expert. black shoes with white trim sounds goofy to me.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #87
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

Thats where the JOP eff'ed up.....he openly told them why he wasn't doing it.

I prefer the open and honest racist / bigot, at least then ...you know exactly where you stand with them rather than someone sneaking around with sick resentent for others while being "polite and kind to all"...and I'm not sure that I buy the "closet racist" argument...someone that looks down on others because of racial differences does so to elevate themselves and is probably going to make it known at some point, not something that you likely keep to yourself...like.....if you spend each day in your basement poking pins and casting spell on little dolls hoping that people die...well you are...ahhh...I don't even know....
Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #88
fishbones

Quote:
spence may disagree, hes the shoe expert. black shoes with white trim sounds goofy to me.
Perfectly acceptable if you're at the bowling alley.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 10-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #89
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I prefer the open and honest racist / bigot, at least then ...you know exactly where you stand with them rather than someone sneaking around with sick resentent for others while being "polite and kind to all"...and I'm not sure that I buy the "closet racist" argument...someone that looks down on others because of racial differences does so to elevate themselves and is probably going to make it known at some point, not something that you likely keep to yourself...like.....if you spend each day in your basement poking pins and casting spell on little dolls hoping that people die...well you are...ahhh...I don't even know....
Dude - If I was that blinked up I'd be institutionalized. I was making a ridiculous assertion in response to another. I've got a nice wife, kid, house, and a real good lawn. Many people here have been in my basement, there's nothing but a bunch of lures and shipping boxes and a rec room.

Last edited by Joe; 10-20-2009 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #90
JohnnyD

Quote:
Dude - If I was that blinked up I'd be institutionalized. I was making a ridiculous assertion in response to another. I've got a nice wife, kid, house, and a real good lawn. Many people here have been in my basement, there's nothing but a bunch of lures and shipping boxes and a rec room.
Anyone with a good looking lawn, without paying a landscaper, is A-OK in my book.