Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
another long article yesterday in the NY Times about it.
Here's what I was getting at.

The day after the state of the union address, MSNBC showed the clip of Rubio getting a drink of water, more than 100 times.

A few days before, Sen Menendez was on the air at MSNBC with Red Shultz. Schukltz, being the hard-hitting journalist he is, never mentioned Menendez's ethical lapses.

If you point out that the NYT ran a story (or stories), that is certainly relevent. It would be more relevent if you compared the exposure that the NYT gave to the Menendez story, versus the Rubio (GASP!) water drinking controversy.

By the way, here is a piece in the NYT suggesting that at least part of the Menendez investigation is nothing more than a political smear...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/ny...anted=all&_r=0

"the work going on at this suburban Washington office suite, paid for by donations from prominent Republicans nationwide, is proof that the news media frenzy focusing on his actions to help a Florida eye doctor is at least in part a political smear. "

Does the NYT suggest anywhere that 100% of the media frenzy focusing on Rubio's taking a sip of water, is political smear?

I'm sure the NYT is correct that there is politics involved in the Menendez investigation. But why didn't the NYT similarly dismiss the absurd notion that Rubio's taking a sip of water, means anything whatsoever?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #32
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
If you point out that the NYT ran a story (or stories), that is certainly relevent. It would be more relevent if you compared the exposure that the NYT gave to the Menendez story, versus the Rubio (GASP!) water drinking controversy.
Post links to all the NYT stories about Rubio gulping the water since you seem to imply they spent more time discussing that vs. Menendez. Then we'll see which has more print.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
So, dod you read it? or ass-u-me-ing?
I don't consider the NYT credible.
That's why I said " perhaps"
Call it an educated guess if you like! . Clever use of dashes 😏
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #34
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I don't consider the NYT credible.
That's why I said " perhaps"
Call it an educated guess if you like! . Clever use of dashes ��
So, what do you consider credible media then?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #35
PaulS

Jim, your leaving out the beginning of that quote from the NYT changes the intent of the sentence.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #36
buckman

Quote:
So, what do you consider credible media then?
That's the point Brian !!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, your leaving out the beginning of that quote from the NYT changes the intent of the sentence.
In what way? The NYT admits there are serious allegations, then states that some of the hubub is nothing more than political smear.

When the NYT ran a front-page story claiming that John McCain's adopted daughter was actually his biological daughter with a mistress, and there was no truth to that...did the NYT admit that it was all political smear? Or is 'smear' only involved when conservatives point out wrongdoing of liberals?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #38
PaulS

You need to re-read the article.

The quote is as follows:

"To Mr. Menendez and his staff, the work going on at this suburban Washington office suite, paid for by donations from prominent Republicans nationwide, is proof that the news media frenzy focusing on his actions to help a Florida eye doctor is at least in part a political smear."

You said that "By the way, here is a piece in the NYT suggesting that at least part of the Menendez investigation is nothing more than a political smear..." Then you quoted part of the sentence from Menendez or a staffer giving the impression the sentence was from the NYT when infact it was by Mendendez/staffer.

The very next paragraph says "But the results have been troubling revelations. Those documented by The New York Times, The Washington Post and other newspapers involve serious accusations of favoritism by the senator."

That and the whole article indicate that the NYT thinks there is merit to the accusations (other than the child prostitute charges).

Did you find any links to Rubio and his water problem in the NYT yet? I'd like to see them.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
You need to re-read the article.

The quote is as follows:

"To Mr. Menendez and his staff, the work going on at this suburban Washington office suite, paid for by donations from prominent Republicans nationwide, is proof that the news media frenzy focusing on his actions to help a Florida eye doctor is at least in part a political smear."

You said that "By the way, here is a piece in the NYT suggesting that at least part of the Menendez investigation is nothing more than a political smear..." Then you quoted part of the sentence from Menendez or a staffer giving the impression the sentence was from the NYT when infact it was by Mendendez/staffer.

The very next paragraph says "But the results have been troubling revelations. Those documented by The New York Times, The Washington Post and other newspapers involve serious accusations of favoritism by the senator."

That and the whole article indicate that the NYT thinks there is merit to the accusations (other than the child prostitute charges).

Did you find any links to Rubio and his water problem in the NYT yet? I'd like to see them.
"That and the whole article indicate that the NYT thinks there is merit to the accusations (other than the child prostitute charges)."

I didn't deny that. But why do you think the NYT found it relevent to mention that some paid GOP operatives are involved? If the story is true, why mention the source? The answer, is to diminish the seriousness of teh charges, and shift some of the blame to Senator Menendez's political opponents.

"Did you find any links to Rubio and his water problem in the NYT yet? I'd like to see them"

Earlier, you made some smug comment to one of the conservatives here about the fact that if he couldn't do the google searches on his own, you'd help him with it. Let's assume you are capable of doing the same Google search I did.

I found coverage in the NYT of the Rubio water drinking. Even if I hadn't, my point about media bias was still valid. I did not say that every single liberal media outlet, with zero exceptions, was trumping up the Rubio water thing. Had I said that, your responses would be relevent. Since I didn't say that, your responses are not as relevent, though they are somewhat relevent. Pointing out one single exception does not refute a generalized statement.

I see you won't comment on MSNBC's coverages of the Rubio water drinking, versus their coverage of the Menendez thing. I wonder why that could be? Hmmm, that's a real head-scratcher.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #40
PaulS

Quote:
"That and the whole article indicate that the NYT thinks there is merit to the accusations (other than the child prostitute charges)."

I didn't deny that. Then why alter the quote to make it appear that the Times thought it was a smear when that is blatenly false? You also started the whole thread and said that no one other than Fox news was spending any meaningful time on Menendez. A quick search shows that the NYTs has written a few articles on it. But why do you think the NYT found it relevent to mention that some paid GOP operatives are involved? The latest article was about how the story developed. The Times didn't in any away argue that it was false.If the story is true, why mention the source? The answer, is to diminish the seriousness of teh charges, and shift some of the blame to Senator Menendez's political opponents.They didn't do that (other than the child prostitution charge - you're really reaching now

"Did you find any links to Rubio and his water problem in the NYT yet? I'd like to see them"

Earlier, you made some smug comment to one of the conservatives here about the fact that if he couldn't do the google searches on his own, you'd help him with it. Let's assume you are capable of doing the same Google search I did.I did a search on the NYT site and found that they didn't give the press you seem to think they did to Rubio's water problem. I did the search BEFOFE I posted so I wouldn't look as silly as you do right now.

I found coverage in the NYT of the Rubio water drinking. How much? Bc your first post said that "All the news stations are going crazy....." Back up your words and show me how the Times is "going crazy" over the issue! Even if I hadn't, my point about media bias was still valid. I did not say that every single liberal media outlet, with zero exceptions, was trumping up the Rubio water thing. So what do your words "All the news stations are going crazy" mean then? You're the one who finds one example of what you don't like and apply that to all liberals or in this case the news stations. Had I said that it seems like you did say that by the use of your word all, your responses would be relevent. Since I didn't say that, your responses are not as relevent, though they are somewhat relevent. Pointing out one single exception does not refute a generalized the use of the word all is a generalization?statement. Yet I have pointed out that is exactly what you have done numerous times on this sight.

I see you won't comment on MSNBC's coverages of the Rubio water drinking, versus their coverage of the Menendez thing. I wonder why that could be? Hmmm, that's a real head-scratcher.
I'm not a big follower of MSNBC. If they did cover Rubio leaching water like a dehumidifer in Mississippi in July, so be it. Maybe they should have covered Obama using a teleprompter - seeing how much has that been discussed here

nm
Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
nm
Paul, here is why you are not someone to be taken seriously.

In my first post, I stated that the NYT admitted the charges against Menendez were serious. You keep saying that I somehow "altered" the article to make it seem like the NYT wasn't admitting to the seriousness of the charges. What you are accusing me of, simply didn't happen. It. Did. Not. Happen. Am I going too fast for you?

When I make generalized statements (and I use hyperbole a lot) you think you can refute them by pointing to one exception. Yet you allow yourself the liberty to say things like "Rubio leeching water like a dehumidifier". If you can use hyperbole, why can't anyone else?

The Rubio water thing was all over NBC, MSNBC, and CNN. I haven't seen much coverage of the Menendez story on those outlets, and I follow these things pretty closely. Can I mathematically prove that those stations gave more coverage to Rubio than Menendez? No, I cannot, I don't have the resources to do that. Nor can I prove mathematically that the sun will rise tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's the case.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #42
PaulS

Quote:
Paul, here is why you are not someone to be taken seriously.You mean because I've proven you wrong?

In my first post, I stated that the NYT admitted the charges against Menendez were seriousNo you didn't. Your quote was "By the way, here is a piece in the NYT suggesting that at least part of the Menendez investigation is nothing more than a political smear...". You keep saying that I somehow "altered" the article to make it seem like the NYT wasn't admitting to the seriousness of the charges.That is exactly what you did. You took out the part where the paper said that Menendez and his staff thought it was a smear. What you are accusing me of, simply didn't happen. It. Did. Not. Happen. Am I going too fast for you?Wrong, you did. And am I going too fast for you - (in my best Jim in Ct voice) YOU ALTERED THE SENTENCE BY LEAVING OUT THE FIRST PART.

When I make generalized statements (and I use hyperbole a lot) you think you can refute them by pointing to one exception. Yet you allow yourself the liberty to say things like "Rubio leeching water like a dehumidifier". If you can use hyperbole, why can't anyone elseSo you think that my statement laughing at Rubio's sweating is the same as your statement which started the whole post about the amount of press on the 2 issues?

The Rubio water thing was all over NBC, MSNBC, and CNN. I haven't seen much coverage of the Menendez story on those outlets, and I follow these things pretty closely. Can I mathematically prove that those stations gave more coverage to Rubio than Menendez? No, I cannot, I don't have the resources to do that. Nor can I prove mathematically that the sun will rise tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's the case.
So your "emotions" are telling you that they gave more press to Rubio than Menedez Stick with #s, you're not cut out for this word thing
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #43
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

My emotions say, that if it had been Obama had drank the water, Fox News would have changed their logo to a gif of it on a continuous loop....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #44
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
My emotions say, that if it had been Obama had drank the water, Fox News would have changed their logo to a gif of it on a continuous loop....
And there in lies the problem, "emotions."
The press is supposed to keep things honest by reporting the facts and keeping both sides honest.
The water thing is not newsworthy because it only means the man was thirsty.
So the man does what we all do everyday, drink when we're thirsty.
Does this mean his message was flawed??? No, but the reporting trys to evoke an emotion that makes
him look inadequate.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #45
Jim in CT

Paul, apparently you like the NYT. To their credit, the NYT reported on the Menendez case, although they went out ot their way to state that the story only broke because of political smear. If the allegations are true, who cares about the motives of the people who first reported the ethical violations? Why is that important?

Paul, let me ask you this. The NYT ran an unsubstantiated, front-page story during the 2008 election. The story claimed that John McCaon's adopted daughter was actually his biological daughter that he fathered with a mistress.

Let's forget about McCain's politics (although, his politics are literally all that matter to the NYT). McCain is a hero to any rational person. During a dangerous war, he volunteered to fly jets off of an aircraft carrier and repeatedly put himself in harm's way. As a result, he spent several years getting tortured in a POW camp, as a direct result of his service to his country.

How does the NYT feel that this man deserves to be treated? By taking another heroic act (adopting a daughter from a 3rd world country), and using that heroic act as a club against him.

The NYT is a joke. That's why, until recently, one copy of the Sunday edition was more expensive than one share of stock in the company that prints that liberal rag.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Your emotions would be 100% wrong. Hannity might use that image to mock the President. I don't think anyone else would. Your 'emotions' have apparently convinced you that Foxnews is the right-wing equivalent of MSNBC. Not even close. Foxnews isn't even as radical as CNN (Hannity being the exception), let alone MSNBC.

Obama has legitimately and honestly made an idiot out of himself so many times, his critics don't have to invent buffoonery where it doesn't exist.

Obama can say that there are 57 states in the US, and that doesn't say anything about him. Obama insults special olympians on national TV (saying he was so bad at bowling, he looked like one of those special olympians), and that doesn't say anything about him. Obama has several close friends who clearly hate this country, and that doesn't say anything about him. Obama supported infanticide as a state senator, and he gets a pass. Obama adds $5 trillion to our debt, with a net gain of almost zero jobs and a huge drop in median wages, and he's not held accountable. But Rubio awkwardly reaches for a bottle of water, and that says somethiing about his qualifications?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
So your "emotions" are telling you that they gave more press to Rubio than Menedez Stick with #s, you're not cut out for this word thing
MSNBC showed the Rubio water clip over 100 times. CNN asked if it was a "career ender". Brian Williams, the NBC anchor, said teh water reach "just might live on forever". Wolf Blitzer said Rubio's drinking water was "profoundly depressing".

The Mainstream Media Are Even Dumber Than You Thought

And when the NYT gets around to mentioning the Memendez allegations, they can't do it without stating explicitly that part of this is nothing more than "political smear".

Here's more...

Rubio vs. Menendez: A tale of two Hispanic senators and media hypocrisy - The Hill's Pundits Blog

"Media Research Center reports that there have been only seven stories on CBS, ABC and NBC about Menendez in three weeks, yet the Mark Foley story of his racy emails to pages warranted 152 stories by those same networks in a two-week period."

CBS, NBC, and ABC are the 3 major networks. Combined, the 3 of them did a whopping 7 stories on Menendez, in 3 weeks. Yet those same 3 netwoks did 152 stories about Mark Foley's actions?

So no, it's clearly not just my emotions at play here. What's on display here is my ability to see things as they are, and draw correct conclusions, regardless of political ideology.

Your response?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #48
PaulS

Quote:
Paul, apparently you like the NYT. To their credit, the NYT reported on the Menendez case, although they went out ot their way to state that the story only broke because of political smear. If the allegations are true, who cares about the motives of the people who first reported the ethical violations? Why is that important?

Paul, let me ask you this. The NYT ran an unsubstantiated, front-page story during the 2008 election. The story claimed that John McCaon's adopted daughter was actually his biological daughter that he fathered with a mistress. Can you pls. post a link to it b/c I don't remember that happening. If it did happen, I condemn it.

Let's forget about McCain's politics (although, his politics are literally all that matter to the NYT). McCain is a hero to any rational person. Similiar to Kerry?
During a dangerous war, he volunteered to fly jets off of an aircraft carrier and repeatedly put himself in harm's way. As a result, he spent several years getting tortured in a POW camp, as a direct result of his service to his country.

How does the NYT feel that this man deserves to be treated? By taking another heroic act (adopting a daughter from a 3rd world country), and using that heroic act as a club against him.

The NYT is a joke. That's why, until recently, one copy of the Sunday edition was more expensive than one share of stock in the company that prints that liberal rag.
The only thing I remember about McCain's baby was that the Bush campaign was putting out flyers in the 2000 primary (one of the nastiest campaigns ever) with that story, that he committed treason as a POW in Vietnam, he was mentally unstable b/c of being a POW, a homosexual and an addict (and also said his wife was an addict). I'd be interested in seeing how the Times 8 years later would have brought up the same thing???

Still going on about a mistatement on the # of states. That is petty - but not unexpected.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
The only thing I remember about McCain's baby was that the Bush campaign was putting out flyers in the 2000 primary (one of the nastiest campaigns ever) with that story, that he committed treason as a POW in Vietnam, he was mentally unstable b/c of being a POW, a homosexual and an addict (and also said his wife was an addict). I'd be interested in seeing how the Times 8 years later would have brought up the same thing???

Still going on about a mistatement on the # of states. That is petty - but not unexpected.
Paul, I posted a fair amount of evidence, from multiple sources, that directly supports my claim of liberal bias. Your response is to say that as long as Bush did it as well, then it's therefore OK?

Wow. Now that is a creative (read: desperate) way of trying to get out of the intellectual corner I backed you into. According to you, the media code of ethics should come from the campaign tactics of George Bush. Got it.

Once again, you ask me to do your research for you? On the NYT hit piece on McCain? That's interesting, because earlier in this very thread, you smugly claimed that you could show someone else how to research things on the net. Now all of a sudden, you need help to see if the NYT really ran that hit piece on McCain?

I don't need to Google that, because it happened, and I remember it, because it was so unethical and so widely condemned (maybe not widely condemned by those in your circles who routinely resort to such tactics). If you were so out of touch that you aren't aware of a media smear perpetrated by (what used to be) a major newspaper against a titanic hero, that's your issue, not mine. Google it, you'll see.

"Still going on about a mistatement on the # of states. That is petty - but not unexpected"

Huh? What am I misstating?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
The only thing I remember about McCain's baby was that the Bush campaign was putting out flyers in the 2000 primary .
OK. So you remember that Bush's political team (a bunch of conservatives) was unethical, but you have no knowledge of the NYT (a bunch of liberals), which you apparently are a fan of, doing something equally loathsome to the same Senator McCain.

You might want to either work on your memory, or more likely, reconsider where you get your information.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #51
PaulS

Quote:
Paul, I posted a fair amount of evidence, from multiple sources, that directly supports my claim of liberal bias. Your response is to say that as long as Bush did it as well, then it's therefore OK?Huh, you're imagining things again. Where did I say that? The discussion was about the NYT and whether they spent more time on Rubio or Menendez and you start going off on tangents.

Wow. Now that is a creative (read: desperate) way of trying to get out of the intellectual corner I backed you into. According to you, the media code of ethics should come from the campaign tactics of George Bush. Got it.Did I say that? Go back and reread the discussion.

Once again, you ask me to do your research for you? On the NYT hit piece on McCain? That's interesting, because earlier in this very thread, you smugly claimed that you could show someone else how to research things on the net. Now all of a sudden, you need help to see if the NYT really ran that hit piece on McCain?Ok, I did a search and in late 2007, the NYT was discussing the 2008 campain and how in 2000 McCain was slandered by Bush's campaign. So I'm asking myself how could they write an article in 2008 saying McCain had an illegimate child (which is what you stated). Guess what, I couldn't find anything so I'll ask again to pls. post a link to a story showing that.

I don't need to Google that, because it happened, and I remember it, because it was so unethical and so widely condemned (maybe not widely condemned by those in your circles who routinely resort to such tactics). If you were so out of touch that you aren't aware of a media smear perpetrated by (what used to be) a major newspaper against a titanic hero, that's your issue, not mine. Google it, you'll see.Pls. show me a link.

"Still going on about a mistatement on the # of states. That is petty - but not unexpected"

Huh? What am I misstating?
See, as I said you have a reading problem. I didn't say you made a mistatement. It obviously referred to Pres. Obama making a simple mistatement and that you're a petty person to keep bringing that up as if he doesn't know how many states there are.

Last edited by PaulS; 02-19-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #52
PaulS

Quote:
OK. So you remember that Bush's political team (a bunch of conservatives) was unethical, but you have no knowledge of the NYT (a bunch of liberals), which you apparently are a fan of , doing something equally loathsome to the same Senator McCain.

You might want to either work on your memory, or more likely, reconsider where you get your information.
Maybe I do have a memory problem but rather than continuing to throw insults around pls. post some links to the story. I've asked you politely a few times.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
Maybe I do have a memory problem but rather than continuing to throw insults around pls. post some links to the story. I've asked you politely a few times.
Paul, I agree that Obama simply mis-spoke about the number of states. I don't think that mis-statement says anything at all about his qualifications.

But the same folks who agree that Obama's mis-statement was not a big deal, are now going berserk about Rubio's reaching for a glass of water. That's exactly the bias I'm talking about. The media barely mentioned Obama's mis-statement (which was the correct thing for the media to do), but the media was obsessed with Rubio's reaching for a glass of water (which was ridiculous for them to do).

Can you honestly tell me that you see no discrepancy between the coverage of those 2 events?

"I've asked you politely a few times"

John McCain lobbyist controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #54
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Obama is starting to get some tough hard hitting questions from
interviewers. Example-
"Mr President, are you considering Hawaii as the place for your
Presidential Library?"
I kid you not.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #55
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I think our nations economic issues would be resolved if you people spent more time producing "ouput" other than Blab on the internet!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #56
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

"output", you mean like hard work leading to feelngs of accomplishment,
self worth,self determination and a job well done?
That's so old 50s and just leads to independence.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #57
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
"output", you mean like hard work leading to feelngs of accomplishment,
self worth,self determination and a job well done?
That's so old 50s and just leads to independence.
I have those things most of the year until I do my taxes......

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #58
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

I feel your pain on the taxes, punishment for being a hard worker.
I'll still take the self worth a job well done produces though.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #59
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
I feel your pain on the taxes, punishment for being a hard worker.
I'll still take the self worth a job well done produces though.
I know that I'm going to probably have to cut a $7k-10k check when I finally get around to doing the taxes.

The firmest kick in the balls is thinking "okay, I need to produce about $12k in revenue so that I have enough money after taxes to *pay my taxes*."
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #60
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Ya JD, right now your working close to 1/2 the year to pay your taxes.
But don't worry, Obama will see to it that you will pay more.

" Choose Life "