Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #31
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This is pretty convoluted,

What's so convoluted about "First, how is it known that most come by air and sea? Is that a supposedly educated guess? If actual deliveries have been known to be happening, then they all should have been stopped. If the smuggling has been successful (undetected), as it apparently was, then how has it been determined which way it came?"

Three simple and related questions. One straightforward statement. No convolution. Sometimes, I think you just like to use certain words. Like "convoluted."

it's the same argument Stephen Miller tried to use when Wallace embarrassed him yesterday morning. How about the pineapple smuggling along the Rio Grande? What, never heard of it??? Exactly the point.

Now, here you are skirting the borders of convolution, becoming "extremely complex and difficult to follow." Is there some scuttlebutt about whether pineapples are smuggled here more by air and sea than by land? I'm not following your comparison. Exactly what point are you referring to?

How about a really simple answer, the experts at the DEA have studied the issue in depth.
Have these "experts" explained how they arrived at their conclusion? That shouldn't be difficult to lay out in order to convince us that their figures are correct. Oh . . . have the experts actually discovered some numbers/ratios about how much comes across the border and how much comes by air and sea? Can you point out what numbers they came up with?

Or do you just take their word, and, as Jim in CT pointed out, do you dismiss the words of other "experts."

And, if the smuggling of narcotics by the air/sea combination is stopped, would that mean that "the most" would then be by land? Or would it mean that no more illegal narcotics would be delivered here from south of the border, not even by land? What is the relevant point being made by claiming one method smuggles more than another?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
And here's what the head of the BP union had to say...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-w...-patrol-union/

And here, a union survey of 600 agent sin two of the southern border's busiest areas, 89% support the wall.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-survey-finds/
And when the current head of the BP union got elected he immediately cozied up to Trump and changed the BP union position on the wall. (Jim, I thought you disliked unions) I posted the link to that previously.
Here is the text
The NBPC disagrees with wasting taxpayer money on building fences and walls along the border as a means of curtailing illegal entries into the United States. However, as long as we continue to operate under the current NBPS and ignore the problem that is causing illegal immigration, we realize fences and walls are essential.

Walls and fences are temporary solutions that focus on the symptom (illegal immigration) rather than the problem (employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens).

Walls and fences are only a speed bump. People who want to come to the United States to obtain employment will continue to go over, under, and around the walls and fences that are constructed.

Walls and fences will undoubtedly result in an increase in fraudulent documents and smuggling through the Ports of Entry.

Walls and fences do not solve the issue of people entering the country legally and staying beyond the date they are required to leave the country, a problem which will undoubtedly increase as more walls and fences are constructed.

The NBPC position regarding walls and fences is not due to a concern of losing our jobs if fences and walls are built. On the contrary, the NBPC realizes that walls and fences require just as much manpower to protect them. Border Patrol Agents witness what happens to walls and fences when there are not enough Border Patrol agents to protect them.

Now show me the survey, not some reporters opinion of what it said.
Surveys are all about the question, not the number of yes or no answers.
I believe the question was wall a barrier help yes or no
The BPs position prior to the election of a Trump ally as head was manpower was the #1 deterrent. A wall without manpower becomes holes with wall between them.

We have barriers at all populated areas, so a better question would be to pick 2 out of 3 for unpopulated areas
Manpower
Barrier
Electronic devices
That would be a far more interesting question than do you think walls help.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Have these "experts" explained how they arrived at their conclusion? That shouldn't be difficult to lay out in order to convince us that their figures are correct. Oh . . . have the experts actually discovered some numbers/ratios about how much comes across the border and how much comes by air and sea? Can you point out what numbers they came up with?

Or do you just take their word, and, as Jim in CT pointed out, do you dismiss the words of other "experts."

And, if the smuggling of narcotics by the air/sea combination is stopped, would that mean that "the most" would then be by land? Or would it mean that no more illegal narcotics would be delivered here from south of the border, not even by land? What is the relevant point being made by claiming one method smuggles more than another?
Border Patrol and DEA seize about 775 tons of illegal drugs on the southern border and they say the great majority come thru ports of entry. I assume they know what they are talking about at least about where they apprehend the traffickers.
Assuming a human can carry 15 kilos which is a heavy load and likely means they could carry no water or food, it would take 60 people to carry each ton and a large number would be apprehended if any significant amount was moved that way. Border patrol and DEA would certainly be able to determine if that was happening, would they not?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Border Patrol and DEA seize about 775 tons of illegal drugs on the southern border and they say the great majority come thru ports of entry. I assume they know what they are talking about at least about where they apprehend the traffickers.
Assuming a human can carry 15 kilos which is a heavy load and likely means they could carry no water or food, it would take 60 people to carry each ton and a large number would be apprehended if any significant amount was moved that way. Border patrol and DEA would certainly be able to determine if that was happening, would they not?
"Most" (using that meme) legal "ports of entry" from Mexico are land based, not air or sea based (I was responding to Got Striper's claim that most drugs from south of the border were smuggled by air and sea). AZ Central, part of the USA network, reported that last year that about six times as much Meth was seized at ports of entry than between the ports, and about four times as much opioids at ports of entry than between the ports. The amounts seized has been rising both at ports of entry and between ports.

So there is an actual account of what has been "seized." How much that hasn't been caught has not been accounted for. And I assume that catching the stuff at ports of entry would be far more successful than doing so between the ports. So who knows how much has been and is being successfully smuggled between legal ports. And if port security is tightened enough, wouldn't it be likely that the amount smuggled across the open sections of the border would greatly rise?
Old 02-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
And when the current head of the BP union got elected he immediately cozied up to Trump and changed the BP union position on the wall. (Jim, I thought you disliked unions) I posted the link to that previously.
Here is the text
The NBPC disagrees with wasting taxpayer money on building fences and walls along the border as a means of curtailing illegal entries into the United States. However, as long as we continue to operate under the current NBPS and ignore the problem that is causing illegal immigration, we realize fences and walls are essential.

Walls and fences are temporary solutions that focus on the symptom (illegal immigration) rather than the problem (employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens).

Walls and fences are only a speed bump. People who want to come to the United States to obtain employment will continue to go over, under, and around the walls and fences that are constructed.

Walls and fences will undoubtedly result in an increase in fraudulent documents and smuggling through the Ports of Entry.

Walls and fences do not solve the issue of people entering the country legally and staying beyond the date they are required to leave the country, a problem which will undoubtedly increase as more walls and fences are constructed.

The NBPC position regarding walls and fences is not due to a concern of losing our jobs if fences and walls are built. On the contrary, the NBPC realizes that walls and fences require just as much manpower to protect them. Border Patrol Agents witness what happens to walls and fences when there are not enough Border Patrol agents to protect them.

Now show me the survey, not some reporters opinion of what it said.
Surveys are all about the question, not the number of yes or no answers.
The BPs position prior to the election of a Trump ally as head was manpower was the #1 deterrent. A wall without manpower becomes holes with wall between them.

We have barriers at all populated areas, so a better question would be to pick 2 out of 3 for unpopulated areas
Manpower
Barrier
Electronic devices
pete, i dislike unions because of their demands for compensation. i never said they are ignorant about what works. 89 % of agents surveyed said a wall would benefit, as did obama’s head of the entire patrol. somehow you know better than they do.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #36
detbuch

Quote:

I don't know the numbers, but a whole lot of illegals create their own communities and jobs. And they are magnets as places for more to come and find a place to settle. I suspect that the "problem" is more than employers hiring illegals. But, as the NBPC said, for the time being we have to focus on and treat the "symptoms" and build fences and walls which are essential.

Walls and fences are only a speed bump.

Speed bumps work, even though they only treat the symptoms.

People who want to come to the United States to obtain employment will continue to go over, under, and around the walls and fences that are constructed.

So are those women and children, who supposedly comprise the majority of illegal immigrants, coming here for employment?

That's only because walls between Ports would stop them.

The legal problem would increase because the illegal problem would be lessened. So should we, as I sarcastically said in my reply to your original posting of this article "better not solve the issue of people entering illegally because it will increase the problem of them coming legally."

Yup, walls and more agents are PART of the essential solution.

Manpower
Barrier
Electronic devices
I think Trump would agree, except I think he'd probably be in favor of picking all unpopulated areas that don't have natural barriers. And for those areas that have no natural impediment, he would use the word "walls" instead of "barriers."
Old 03-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #37
detbuch

More "migrants" are crossing the border now:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mo...mage=BBOwDsq|1
Old 03-06-2019, 04:59 AM   #38
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
More "migrants" are crossing the border now:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mo...mage=BBOwDsq|1
The majority know to request asylum at the border, either at an official port of entry or when they surrender to border agents shortly after sneaking into the country from Mexico.

Whether they sneak into the country in remote areas or enter the country through a port of entry, most migrants are trying to petition for asylum.

Congress has provided nearly $1.7 billion to build or replace fencing on the southern border, but the Administration has hardly spent any of that money, and the projects it has undertaken have ballooned in cost. So far, only six percent of those funds have been spent. Six.”

So Trumps only spent 6% to build or replacing Has sent the national guard several times Trump administration paid a private company $13.6 million to recruit thousands of Border Patrol agents, and they've hired 2 so far congress gave him another including $1.375 billion in the shut down bill Yet we are expected to believe he needs 8 billion more to stop .. his inmangary invasion or infiltration of migrants most who are seeking Asylum...

If those countries weren't so f uped ( Thanks the our involvement in the 80s ) they'd have no reason to leave ... unintentional consequences.... and No wall can fix that epic failure

And People who dont support this wall are not the open border supporters that Trump loves to claim we are We are just see things for what they are a stunt for his base not the country another scam .. no different them him Hugging the Flag .... all an act ... But his base
think he is authentic .. ya ok

Last edited by wdmso; 03-06-2019 at 05:11 AM..
Old 03-06-2019, 05:05 AM   #39
scottw

democrats need more voters for 2020
Old 03-06-2019, 05:11 AM   #40
scottw

March 1, 2019

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has reportedly hired a twice-arrested illegal alien as his deputy national secretary.

they probably heard democrats are hiring for the campaign
Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #41
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
March 1, 2019

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has reportedly hired a twice-arrested illegal alien as his deputy national secretary.

they probably heard democrats are hiring for the campaign
Noise, I’d be more concerned that someone with zero foreign policy experience is meeting with the Saudi prince on his own. You know damn well he isn’t there confronting him over the brutal murder we all know he ordered or to advise the US will comply with a U.N. requirement to call it what it is a human rights violation. The Middle East has always been the big hot spot and Jared got tasked with handling it with no experience and security clearance he shouldn’t have; but hey let’s get that campaign promise done.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #42
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

Noise, I’d be more concerned that .....

feel free to fret....
Old 03-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #43
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Spend the money already allocated for quite some time and yes both parties need to somehow get the immigration loop holes addressed with bipartisan legislation, which has been absolutely impossible with the never budging demand for the wall money Trump wants. I will grant the economy is still strong, but the deficit is out of control, trade deficit is at an all time high, lots of trouble in the Middle East being handled by a family rookie, Trump claims NK isn’t a nuclear threat yet two days after the summit; photos were released proving they are building long range missile sites. While I’m not sure I buy into the full on new green deal, this administration has its head in the sand when it comes to climate change and the long range costs to address the consequences of inaction will make the current deficit pale in comparison. If your vision is only two or even six years out, then I can see why you are so comfortable and secure.

The Russians, Chinese and others are constantly looking for ways to influence our elections, hack our utilities and our military, yet Trump will have no issue pulling money from efforts to keep us safe from those efforts to build his fing wall. I’m about to turn 66 and have lived through a bunch of presidencies, the good, the bad and now it’s the ugly.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #44
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
The majority know to request asylum at the border, either at an official port of entry or when they surrender to border agents shortly after sneaking into the country from Mexico.

Yeah, they know the trick. Wonder how they learned that. Was that part of their public or catholic school education?

Whether they sneak into the country in remote areas or enter the country through a port of entry, most migrants are trying to petition for asylum.

And the great majority of those who actually do later show up at court and go through the process are denied asylum because they don't have valid reasons to get it. But they know the trick. Ask for Asylum. Then don't report to court and settle somewhere in America.

Congress has provided nearly $1.7 billion to build or replace fencing on the southern border, but the Administration has hardly spent any of that money, and the projects it has undertaken have ballooned in cost. So far, only six percent of those funds have been spent. Six.”

Sounds like a typical government program. They usually cost more than projected and take longer than expected.

So Trumps only spent 6% to build or replacing Has sent the national guard several times Trump administration paid a private company $13.6 million to recruit thousands of Border Patrol agents, and they've hired 2 so far congress gave him another including $1.375 billion in the shut down bill Yet we are expected to believe he needs 8 billion more to stop .. his inmangary invasion or infiltration of migrants most who are seeking Asylum...

It's not imaginary. It's real. And the numbers invading are going up. Even the NYT says so.

If those countries weren't so f uped ( Thanks the our involvement in the 80s ) they'd have no reason to leave ... unintentional consequences.... and No wall can fix that epic failure

So if U.S intervention f's a country up, better that we don't intervene. Stay out of their countries and stop giving them money. I think Trump has proposed doing that. Those countries can embrace socialism and f themselves up quite well without our help or intervention.

That doesn't mean we must mea culpa take millions of unqualfied immigrants from those countries. In a very material way, transferring millions of their dissatisfied citizens to here would be interfering with the ability of the masses from those countries to exercise their necessary revolution. "You have nothing to lose but your chains" doesn't mean moving to the U.S. It means actual revolution. If they all wish to become Cuba or Venezuela, they should be allowed to do so. Now better than later. They can create their socialist paradises without our help. Even better without our help.

Curious, how does it help those countries by taking away huge portions of their population--especially those who are reputed to be the more industrious and willing to work, even for low wages?

And People who dont support this wall are not the open border supporters that Trump loves to claim we are We are just see things for what they are a stunt for his base not the country another scam .. no different them him Hugging the Flag .... all an act ... But his base
think he is authentic .. ya ok
That's a lot of unsubstantiated, hateful sounding gibberish--the kind of thing that PaulS would call angry if Jim said it.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-06-2019 at 01:37 PM..
Old 03-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #45
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Spend the money already allocated for quite some time and yes both parties need to somehow get the immigration loop holes addressed with bipartisan legislation, which has been absolutely impossible with the never budging demand for the wall money Trump wants. I will grant the economy is still strong, but the deficit is out of control, trade deficit is at an all time high, lots of trouble in the Middle East being handled by a family rookie, Trump claims NK isn’t a nuclear threat yet two days after the summit; photos were released proving they are building long range missile sites. While I’m not sure I buy into the full on new green deal, this administration has its head in the sand when it comes to climate change and the long range costs to address the consequences of inaction will make the current deficit pale in comparison. If your vision is only two or even six years out, then I can see why you are so comfortable and secure.

The Russians, Chinese and others are constantly looking for ways to influence our elections, hack our utilities and our military, yet Trump will have no issue pulling money from efforts to keep us safe from those efforts to build his fing wall. I’m about to turn 66 and have lived through a bunch of presidencies, the good, the bad and now it’s the ugly.
must be hard to sleep at night
Old 03-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #46
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
must be hard to sleep at night
Actually Peg is always amazed and pissed (due to snoring) at times that I can go fast asleep in minutes, I have one of the most positive outlooks on life; just ask anyone that knows me. Don't let my concerns over this administration lead you to believe I'm loosing sleep over it, I'm be more concerned about my kids and future generations. I'm retired, comfortable and happy as a clam. Play golf three times a week, try to get the kayak out a couple times to fish, love working in the yard and if I have to; it's off to the gym. No worries here, you working stiffs might have more concerns down the road however.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #47
scottw

^^^ thanks for sharing...