Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 11-18-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Angry Wal-Mart Checkout Counter...

You ever to go Wal-Mart, buy a few things, ring 'em up at the checkout counter, and leave the store without some of your purchases?

That stupid rotary bagging thingamabob is starting to annoy me - twice in the last 2 weeks I left bags of shtuff at the checkout counter.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
spence

Don't want to start a Wall-Mart bashing thread...but personally I've refused to shop all Wall-Mart for a number of years now. The reasons are too numerous to mention...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:20 PM   #3
missing link

Your not the only one ,I've done it at least 3 times
later LINK SR

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:23 PM   #4
cheferson

I abuse their return policy
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:08 PM   #5
Nebe

Quote:
Originally posted by spence
Don't want to start a Wall-Mart bashing thread...but personally I've refused to shop all Wall-Mart for a number of years now. The reasons are too numerous to mention...

-spence
and I though I was the only one
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
Canalratt1

Yah left bags before. They also will not let you use your bank card as a credit card, this saves me a surcharge. They are the only place that does this!

Canalratt1
Canalratt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #7
Charlie2

Habla Espanol?

I asked the clerk if I pushed the 'Spanish' botton and asked for money back, would it be in pesos?

Had to go ask supervisor.
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
zacs
D'oh

Walmart free here for over two years.

They F- their vendors
They F- their employees
They F- all local business owners
They F- the enviroment
THEY F'n SUCK

_Z_

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #9
chris L

what zacs said
I wont shop there they suck !
walmart and cosco are both reasons we have so much unemployment in this country. they get a lot of their product outside this country .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:49 PM   #10
spence

Like I said, reasons too numerous to mention...

-spence
Old 11-19-2004, 05:42 PM   #11
Backbeach Jake

Yes , I had the Merry -go -round steal my stuff. Didn't know it til I got all the way home Went back and was aske at the desk what was in the bag. I said rat poison, bassassins, and shampoo. Lady gave me a real odd look. All this after I asked the girl at the check-out if that was all of my stuff.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:24 PM   #12
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

WalMart, yer number one place for cheap plastic crap.Always low wages, always. johnny
TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:56 AM   #13
Van
zoom

Yes they may Suk, but when I go there, its all about ME and my wallet !!!

Went to buy a schoolie set-up for the kid, found a nice 7' one piece graphite combo cork handle, nice wrapping with a strange overseas name.

WTH...
its only 30 bucks anyway so I took it to the counter. It rang in at seven (7) dollars. Rod and reel....Went out, put in the truck and went back in and bought more. Sold the extras cheap and still made a few bucks. Plus kept a couple for us.

We both been using the combo for 2 years, no problem.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:09 AM   #14
Big Vern
Hooked

I absolutely refuse to shop at Wal-Mart. It is far and away the least patriotic of all enterprises in the US. The fact that they successfully project themselves as All-American is one of the great hypocrises of our time.
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #15
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Hate to remind everyone, it's not what they sell, but what WE collectively BUY. They will carry what we buy.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #16
fishweewee

Lightbulb

Geez, you guys are rough.

1) Most of us shop at Wal-Mart because the place has the best prices. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't benefit from getting the lowest price. It's an economic reality that the seller of commodities who sells at the lowest price will be the most successful. That will never change. The era of the non-specialty mom-and-pop store is GONE FOREVER.

2) Wal-Mart squeezes suppliers on pricing, there is absolutely no question about that. But if you talk to the CEO's, CFO's, and operational people at places like Proctor & Gamble and Coca Cola bottlers, etc, they will tell you they're getting squeezed on per unit price BUT THEIR PROFITS ARE HIGHER FROM WAL-MART SALES because Wal-Mart IS EXTREMELY EFFICIENT WHEN IT COMES TO LOGISTICS. Companies are also doing HUGE volumes through Wal-Mart.

3) Low wages go hand-in-hand with low prices. Don't like the wages? You don't have to work there!

4) Want to get back everything Wal-Mart perceives to take away from your community? Buy the damn stock and hold onto it.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:47 PM   #17
Nebe

walmart is an evil empire.

heres a story of how they work- A friend of mine is a glass blower who makes beads. Walmart aproached him to buy a huge amount of beads to sell in their stores. He was psyched! he hired a bunch of guys to make more product plus he even offered to sub out some of the work to me, but I declined. Anyway, he delivered the beads on time.. Walmart payed him X amount of dollars and then the never ordered any agian. Instead, they got a Chinese Factory to make the beads at 1/20th the price and then sold these new chinese beads at the same price they were selling my friends beads at. Now, these chinese beads are starting to flood the american jewery market and my friend is about to go out of business...

F- walmart and F-China

you can save a buck or 2 but in the longrun, your screwing the US...
Old 11-24-2004, 06:45 PM   #18
zacs
D'oh

Eben is right. Very typical story. I have a family member who had been selling walmart, and they basically short paid him because they felt the price was too high, after they bought the product. You want to sue? You loose your biggest customer, and get drowned in legal fees fighting a massive corportation.

Try going into a walmart to buy something, and then only paying for 80% of it.

Quote:
Low wages go hand-in-hand with low prices. Don't like the wages? You don't have to work there!
Well, unfortunately, a lot of people DO have to work there, because they have successfuly shut down many local retail businesses, and single handedly destroyed the american manufacturing industry by sending everything to China.

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:25 PM   #19
cheferson

I give it back to wal-mart my own way
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 09:44 AM   #20
fishweewee

Question

I don't get it.

Unless they have the capacity to be a GLOBAL SUPPLIER, your friends have to be CRAZY to do business with Wal-Mart.

It's simple - here is the reason why:

Quote:
As of October 31, 2004, the Company had 1,362 Wal-Mart stores, 1,671 Supercenters, 550 SAM’S CLUBS and 76 Neighborhood Markets in the United States. Internationally, the Company operated units in Argentina (11), Brazil (147), Canada (241), China (39), Germany (92), South Korea (16), Mexico (656), Puerto Rico (54) and United Kingdom (276).
When you do business with Wal-Mart, you're not doing it with just one store, or even all the stores in the state or even in one region. You're supplying to the whole damn company, with billions of potential consumers, hundreds of thousands of SKU's and $256.3 BILLION in global sales!

Your friends should have seen that coming. If they couldn't handle the scale required by Wal-Mart - they should not even have botheredk knowing that a global supplier would be picked to handle the demand! Global volume = huge discounts (fixed costs spread out over a lot of volume).
Old 11-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #21
Nebe

He could have easily handled the demand. walmart wanted a unique glass bead, they had a u.s. glass artist make some, they tested the market with them and then they took them to a chinese glass factory to be cloned. Then they started sellign the chinese one at the same price that they were selling my friends at..
agian. F-WALLMART.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:12 PM   #22
Flaptail

Cool

Living on Cape Cod has never been easy economically if you are your basic middle income family of four, which is where I fall in. All goods that come "over" the bridge automatically go up 20% to 50% on average from what you would pay in a like store off Cape. I know, I chose to live here but bridge or no we would like the same advantages for shopping for food, clothing and other basic nescesities. Take Stop and Shop for example. I can buy a can of Hi-C fruit juice in the Wareham store for .80 cents less than in the Falmouth or Mashpee stores. Three years ago they opened a Wal-Mart in Falmouth ( a 70 thousand sq. ft store at first now expanded to twice the size). Finally we are able to purchase basic goods at the same cost as the people on the other side of the bridge, a plus for working stiffs on Cape Cod like myself. The small chain hardware stores are still in business and the mom & Pop milk and bread stores haven't been affected.

Taking and making goods over seas is not Wal-Marts invention. They do it bercause our Goverment encourages and provides incentives for it. Christmas Tree Shops have always done that and everyone loves that place. Old Navy sells clothing faster than they can put it out on the rack because of this way of thinking. All thier stuff is made in Viet Nam, Honduras, Indonesia, Pakistan etc.

I think Eben and I bought out Cow Coffin Igloo coolers there for 37.00 bucks just a while ago. Where else can you get an igloo 120 qt. cooler for 37 bucks? I have no qualms about shopping there. I only by certain items there. It's been a win for the Cape Cod consumer having Wal-Mart in Falmouth.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:39 PM   #23
Backbeach Jake

When I lived full time on the Lower Cape, and was making diddly( wages low, prices high) I asked why everything was so freaking expensive. My answer was that "They have to truck it out here" Well , no shirt Sherlock, they have to truck it everywhere!! So how come if it's made in Boston, we pay more for it than the folks in Ohio?
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:20 AM   #24
HESH2

WIFE BOUGHT SOME CLOSE OUT FLOWER BULBS TO PLANT IN OUR YARD IN OCT AT WAL-MART.THEY WERE MARKED DOWN FROM LIKE $3 TO $1.50.GOT HOME AND WHEN LOOKING AT TICKET THEY CHARGED ME $3 FOR ONE AND $1.50 FOR THE OTHER ONE SAME ITEM SAME PACKAGE ETC.MY WIFE SAVED THE PACKAGES AND THE RECEIPT AND SINCE WE DON,T LIVE CLOSE TO THE STORE NEXT TIME WE WERE GOING BYE WOULD STOP AND GET OUR WHOLE $1.50.SO IN NOV WE GO TO CUST SERVICE TOLD GIRL AND SHOWED HER RECEIPT AND PACKAGES SHE THEN SAID THIS WAS IN OCT AND I SAID SO WHAT.SHE CHECKED WITH A RED COATED MANAGED AND CAME BACK AND TOLD ME SAME THING,I ASKED TO SEE MANAGER SO FOR 5 MINUTES SHE PAGED EVERY MANAGER POSSIBLE IN STORE WHO NEVER SHOWED.FINALLY SHE GAVE MY WIFE THE MONEY AND SHE PUT IT IN SALVATION ARMY POT OUTSIDE STORE.IT WAS,NT ABOUT THE $1.50 ITS WAS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE WITH US.I WON'T SHOP THERE ANYMORE AND AFTER SEEING PROGRAMS ON TV THEY ARE KILLING ALL ARE JOBS FOR WORK IN CHINA.IT ALL GOES BACK TO CLINTON AND TRADE PACK WITH CHINA.WE BUY $150 BILLION FROM THEM THEY BUY $ 3 BILLION FRON US.IS'NT THAT GREAT.
HESH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:23 PM   #25
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Went to Wally World yesterday. Lines into the aisles. Saw the new "Check yourself out" counter and used it. Walked out and set off the alarm. I never heard it. Here I am with RThomas walking out in the lot and this Walmart Nazi comes running out yelling at me. We go back and he realizes the security tags do not deactivate at these new counters. How embarassing!!! I was peeved. People were looking and pointing. Most everything is tagged so what's the use?!

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #26
spence

Quote:
Originally posted by HESH2
IT ALL GOES BACK TO CLINTON AND TRADE PACK WITH CHINA.

-spence
Old 12-17-2004, 09:36 PM   #27
MrsSFrances
Inhaling Paint Fumes

ahhhh wonderful wal-mart...NOT! just recently, i got 3 gift cards from my husbands aunt for the kids, so i went out to get gifts for them with the cards, each card was for 15.00 bucks..i picked up a few things that totaled a lil over 16 bucks, so the girl behind the counter asked if she could throw them out, so what does she do, throws out both of them, the one still had money on it..i told her, isaid um you threw out one that still has money on it, she looked at me and huffed, and said all the money was used up...i was getting alil angry, i said the bill totaled a lil over 16 bucks, i have 3 cards with the seperate amounts of 15 bucks each, i gave you 2 cards, that totals 30 bucks, she looked at me and said, oh im sorry and rolled her eyes and reached in the trash can and gave me back the one card, well since they where both the same card (they looked the same) i said can i have both of them, since i didnt know which one she picked out of the trash, so again huffing at me and rolling her eyes got the other card and handed it to me....i personally do not like wal-mart and each time i go there, must visit is less then pleasant....we have very ignorant people here

thank god we are moving out of this state!!!

MrsSFrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #28
spence

Lack of training...cheap...cheaper...cheapest...

If anyone buys Big Game there to save a buck I curse them

-spence
Old 12-17-2004, 10:06 PM   #29
Nebe

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSFrances

thank god we are moving out of this state!!!
wait a minute.. are you moving to rhode island????
Old 12-17-2004, 10:08 PM   #30
MrsSFrances
Inhaling Paint Fumes

why yes eben, how did you guess ...mid january my family will be up there YAY!!!

MrsSFrances is offline   Reply With Quote