Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #31
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

mcguyver says if I lose power I flip the master and put my own 110 on it
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #32
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
mcguyver says if I lose power I flip the master and put my own 110 on it
I've thought about this a lot and once your PV sends electrons to the inverter and the inverter converts DC/AC you have to have a place for the electrons to go: either usage or battery, or constantly blow the fuse in the generator. You also have to deal with the minute to minute fluctuations in flow when going from full sun to full clouds, angle of the sun, etc. so you need a buffer, again the battery. Adds lots of cost to the system.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #33
Fly Rod

Quote:
He says it increases the selling value of the house by roughly $15k and people have been enticed with houses that are setup for green living so houses sell better. It transfers to whoever buys the house if we sell it.
Did you get this part in writing?

In today's world of real estate you can install a 40,000 dollar kitchen and you will not get your money back. Buyer's today expect granite counter tops and stainless appliances today with the low ball offer that they present to seller.
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #34
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

It's on their webpage I believe Flyrod. I think I saw this mentioned in a video also if not mistaken I saw this on several websites too.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #35
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Well as of right now we are a go. The numbers make sense. They will give you a cheaper rate than your paying now if you beat them up. I'm going to save .05 kwh right off the bat and NO yearly escalator!!!!

If anyone else is thinking about doing this then I would get on the website and get an appt booked RIGHT NOW. There's still enough time before the end of the year.

This is a serious no brainer. Coupon attached also.

This is a totally free solar system. There are no up-front costs involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunrun.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	49796  
Old 12-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #36
striperman36
Old Guy

I know you look at everything Scott, but there has to be a catch...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #37
JohnnyD

Quote:
This is a totally free solar system. There are no up-front costs involved.
I know it's just a matter of semantics but it's technically not free. You're just allowing them to put the power plant on your roof. At the end of the agreement, they take their stuff and go home.

I'm looking forward to this working out for you. The skeptic in me is with striperman36, there's gotta be a catch somewhere.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #38
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

There is no catch. I've been through the PPA 3 times. I've been through everything. I had someone else review the whole thing too and his only thought was that the escalator would not make it so attractive. I hit the guy with the comment and he removed the escalator and lowered the rate to make it even more attractive.

The catch? For me there isn't one. For them there's many. They get the rebates, the tax incentives, the saleable renewable energy credits....nothing else. I will not ever pay anything more than the contract shows.

Striperman or anyone else, go make an appointment with them. It's FREE. Take a look at it yourself. You'll see. I was skeptical and I now fully see how they're doing it.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #39
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

YOU ARE INCORRECT SIR.

I have the option to buy the system at ANY time (with depreciation costs figured into system costs) and assume all the credits etc.

At the end of the PPA, THE COST TO OWN THE SYSTEM IS ON PAPER AS ZERO DOLLARS.

So what about .05/kwh instant savings on more than 1/2 of my electric bill for the next 20 years, a ZERO cost system at 20 years (panels are junk by then), and NO UPFRONT costs makes it "technically not free" to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I know it's just a matter of semantics but it's technically not free. You're just allowing them to put the power plant on your roof. At the end of the agreement, they take their stuff and go home.

I'm looking forward to this working out for you. The skeptic in me is with striperman36, there's gotta be a catch somewhere.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #40
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Where are you going to park your battery trailer?

Of course you don't need 82,000 Li ion cells but some interesting info here: use it or lose it without batteries!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A123’s storage cell - The Boston Globe.pdf (749.9 KB, 5 views)

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #41
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

no batteries YIKES I can't imagine what happens to that trailer if a bunch of cells go off when charging

Li Ion is well known for it's instability.... BOOOOOOOM

The meter spins in reverse during the day and you build up "credits", these "credits" are then used at night when your drawing power off the grid. So if I generate lets say 20 kwh in one day off the panel, my electric bill is reduced at night by the 20 kwh I've built up. It's a net wash. I pay only for the electricity I use from Nat Grid. If they don't give me enough juice then at the end of the year they give me the money difference I had to pay Nat Grid. I will be able to watch the whole thing on a computer like Buzz does right now. If the system don't work like they say then it's their job to take it out and leave building in as previous condx. No cost.

Last edited by UserRemoved1; 12-19-2011 at 06:45 AM..
Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #42
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
no batteries YIKES I can't imagine what happens to that trailer if a bunch of cells go off when charging

Li Ion is well known for it's instability.... BOOOOOOOM
AKA: Chevy Volt! I think I read the Volt is changing to this new A123 type of Li-phosphate battery for storage, less chance of a BOOM?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #43
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

That's got to be a BIG monkey on their backs.

Your just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Who has replaced one of these batteries so far....would love to hear the cost....and the disposal costs... lessee if your rat trap is so ecofriendly now
Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #44
striperman36
Old Guy

I'll bet a Prius is no small change.

VOLT was specced at 14K for the battery
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #45
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

hahahahahaha how many people you think are going to dump that kind of dough into a 5 year old car..
Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #46
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I'll bet a Prius is no small change.

VOLT was specced at 14K for the battery
My Prius came with an 8yr/100K warranty on the battery. I figure I'll just drive my 2004 with 96K miles into the ground as replacing the battery will not be worth it! There are owners with over 300K on Prius so not sure what the determining factor is: general age, charge cycles, miles, or combination of everything.

Best way might be to have the car in a rear end accident and get the insurance $$. Not sure how accurate from one source: "The hybrid packs cost under $2000 new and under $1000 used. Only a freak few have needed replacement due to normal use. The main need for replacement has been from auto accidents that physically damaged the battery pack enclosure."

Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #47
JohnnyD

Quote:
YOU ARE INCORRECT SIR.

I have the option to buy the system at ANY time (with depreciation costs figured into system costs) and assume all the credits etc.

At the end of the PPA, THE COST TO OWN THE SYSTEM IS ON PAPER AS ZERO DOLLARS.

So what about .05/kwh instant savings on more than 1/2 of my electric bill for the next 20 years, a ZERO cost system at 20 years (panels are junk by then), and NO UPFRONT costs makes it "technically not free" to me?
I must have missed your mention of that above.

With all that in mind, definitely seems like a no-brainer.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #48
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Johnny when I get some time at the shop I'll scan all the stuff and post online.

It'll probably be after the first of the year so if anyone is thinking of this do not wait. It's got to be more expensive next year if indeed the tax stuff ends this year...
Old 01-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #49
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Today was engineer visit. Measured the roof. Math doesn't add up. Says the panels are 39" wide, my roof is 17x34, they said 3' in all directions clearance for walking on the roof, that adds up to 18 panels not 26 so that's like 4.8kw instead of 6.8 kw that they were talking about. So that would be 1/2 of my electricity.....see what they come back with.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #50
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Do you have a sunny ground location that you would want to sacrifice for additional panels? No more mowing.....

Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #51
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

no I don't want anything in the yard.