Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-31-2004, 07:19 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

ski season 05

OK, last year we had a good thread going on skiing. Clearly there are some experienced guys here. Tonight I am securing my reservations for the winter....We do the family thing each year and ski NE 100% of the time. (I have only been out west 2X skiing and that was a loooooong time ago when I was 18)

We always do Sunday River for the kids winter break but this year I am thinking of going more exotic ....anyone ever ski Whistler/Blackcomb? (our winter break is the 1st week in March, different from most other schools) We have been just about everyplace in NE and I think it is time to takem out west.

The price is pretty decent (no more then SR) and I have enough freq flyer miles to take us all 1st class.
Is it worth the 1 full day traveling (with entire family) time each way for 4 days of skiing?
If you don't like whister what would you suggest as a west ski resort for an experienced NE ski family?

(of course if I go there I will need new skis too! )
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
In your situation where I'd go:

Whistler/Blackcomb
Alta
Mammoth

I'll be at Mammoth for a full week this coming Nov.
If you're all skiers Alta can't be beat, W/B is very east coast like from the treeline down, Alta is the land of powder.

Mammoth has been getting absolutely pounded this year, so its a safe choice.

Actually in your situation, without the kids, I'd go Points North.

Last edited by likwid; 11-01-2004 at 08:11 AM..

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:01 AM   #3
Navy Chief
Reagan Republican

Lake Tahoe rocks. Squaw Valley, Edgewood or anymore of the 20 or so runs. Plus at night you can take the wife to South Shore and play blackjack. Always more snow than Mammoth without the LA crowds.

"I never trust a fighting man who doesnt smoke or drink." - ADM William "Bull" Halsey
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:04 AM   #4
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Explain "LA crowds" when LA is 6 hours away?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
Navy Chief
Reagan Republican

It's the closest ski resort to LA. Go there over the holidays or weekends and it gets ugly. The traffic on 395 gets bumper to bumper.

I'm not pulling this out of my trousers. I lived in California until last October.

Last edited by Navy Chief; 11-01-2004 at 12:40 PM..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesnt smoke or drink." - ADM William "Bull" Halsey
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:13 PM   #6
Mr. Sandman

Likwid, have you been to Alta? That place looks pretty sweet.
We are all skiers and I will be bringing my kids. I think I have narrowed it down to UT now and will put whister off for another time.
hey, where would you suggest we stay? (something like the Jordan or Grand hotels at SR would be ideal)

I guess you fly into Salt Lake and rent a car eh?
Old 11-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
Big Vern
Hooked

Alta is very cool. However, I've always liked Colorado more than Utah and California.

Whistler is great, but the conditions weren't as good as I expected. The party scene is something to behold though.

My recommendation would be Jackson Hole. Incredible terrain, incredible snow, and a vibe that's very different from most western resorts. Would make for a nice family trip in my opinion.
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
hooked

Navy Chief is right.

If you are young and solo, there are probably better places to chase powder but Lake Tahoe is the best all around vacation spot. Plan on pulling the kids from school for a couple extra days and take them to Napa, San Francisco, Monterey over a weekend when the slopes get crowded.

Beware - my family went there for vacation when I was 16 and I quit a perfectly good job when I was 25 to move there.
hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:50 PM   #9
rwilhelm

I took a trip to Breckingridge, CO years ago and it was awesome. There are 4 mountains close together so you can get a package plan to ski all four. Breckingridge, Cooper, Apprahoe, and Vail.
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:06 PM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Hooked and Navy chief, I lived in SF from 94-2000.
I miss the bay area a lot.
Sory to hijack the skiing thread....
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:38 PM   #11
Motor Fish

Travelled out west for the first time last year. Stayed at Breckenridge. It was AWESOME!!! Great all around mountain, great town and plenty of other mountains close by. One of which has night skiing.

Haven't been anywhere else out west so I don't know what else is out there. I was definitely happy with Breck.

And, you can have a guide take you fly fishing. Even in winter.
Motor Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:15 PM   #12
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Alta is the holy land of powder.

Go there.

http://www.alta.com/

I'd say just check out their packages, I'm sure they have transportation from/to SLC and whatnot.

Probably can snag a sweet deal right now including rental and whatnot on the cheap.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-02-2004, 11:07 PM   #13
RickBomba

Alta Rocks!
Was out there in 1986 when the Pats were lining up for the Superbowl Shuffle!
Some of the best skiing I've ever seen!
Just ask Mikey, we used to be some of the best skiers in MA at the time!
Later,
Rick

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 AM   #14
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

For pure powder Alta is it.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:11 AM   #15
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

Snow Bird is just as good!! I actually hit Lil Cottonwood 2 days after skiing deep powder at Copper in CO. There definitely is a distinct difference at Alta and Snowbird. It is the epitomy of champagne powder there. I'm a bit nervous to hit the slopes after the knee operation last winter. I'm thinking about taking up snowboarding. Ricky and I have been skiing since we were 2. I don't even remember learning. We both placed in the top three in Western MA in our division our senior year. Basically, skiing has always been a big part of my life, and it will be a big blow if my injury closes the book on my skiing career. Well, there is always ice fishing.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:23 AM   #16
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Exercise and wear a knee brace.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-03-2004, 10:26 AM   #17
Big Vern
Hooked

Mikey, snowboarding it is. I used to be an accomplished skier until I blew out my PCL (went way too big in the park and landed in the flat), and the Doc said that I should never ski again. I told him that I would not be able to not ski, and he told me that I could snowboard without any question becuase it takes all of the torque off of your knees. Five years later, my knee is stronger than ever, and I still won't even consider getting back on my skis.

Give snowboarding a shot. It's a more confortable ride, a little less tiring, you're only carrying around one piece of equipment instead of four, and I won't even talk about the powder days.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:27 AM   #18
likwid
lobster = striper bait

The waist on my skis is way over 100, I don't have problems in powder.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #19
Big Vern
Hooked

I've ridden some real planks through the pow, and the snowboard still takes the cake for me.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:37 AM   #20
likwid
lobster = striper bait

been a snowboarder for over 10 years and on tele's for a total off/on for 6 years

i'll take fat tele's over a snowboard any day in champagne pow

but that also takes skill.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #21
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

Yeah, the doc told me the same thing. Looks like I'll become a knuckle dragger this season. Actually, this works out since my fiance has only been skiing once (last year). While she learns to ski, I can learn to snowboard. I know when I brought her last year, it was kind of tough having to wait around for her the whole time and only hit the beginner/intermediate runs. I think my learning curve will be a bit steeper then hers since I know the ways of the snow, but at least we will be closer to the same experience level.

seals + plovers =
Old 11-03-2004, 12:10 PM   #22
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Snowboarding is easy to learn, usually takes people a day or so to get on blues...

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #23
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

Actually, I used to have a Burton Cruiser 165. One of the first boards Burton made out of their Elite series. I was only using it in peoples back yards since they were not allowed at most ski areas yet. I sold it a year after I got it. I can only imagine what I would be like today if I stuck with it??? I got some buddies that were doing some sick tricks into their second year of riding.

seals + plovers =
Old 11-04-2004, 12:49 AM   #24
Peter Lajoie

Mike,,,,,If ya want I can show ya a few things about snowboarding,,,did it for 7 years then mt.tom closed and I kind of just threw in the towel, I hiked mt.tom last january, there was some nice fresh powder and still some good trails.
Peter Lajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #25
Mr. Sandman

Well, after lots of hemmin and hawin, it came down to where I could go on my frequent flyer miles without kickin into preimum miles...the easiest for me was to go to Denver. So we are doing almost a week at Breckenridge with a 5 mnt pass to ski vail, beavercreek, breck, keystone and one other. If I make it to breck, vail and beaver creek I will be happy. The price was pretty good I thought...lodging and lift was less then the east coast! Since the air was a freebe (1st class no less!)the only real cost was renting a car in denver for a week and a airport limo...that reminds me...I need to talk to MrMacy about getting a limo to the airport now..
Old 11-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #26
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Mikey the best way to learn on a snowboard is to go a little faster in the beginning. I have been riding for over 10 years and I have seen to many people give it up because they believe it is to hard. You may want to start on the flater bunny slopes but it is difficult to try and balance through a curve when you are going so slow. If you go a little faster your body weight and the board will pull you through the turn. Less time on your butt also.

Go Ugly Early
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:16 PM   #27
Motor Fish

Sandman, I don't think you'll be disappointed. The drive from Denver to Breck is something I will never forget. Heading into the Rockies was amazing. Also, there is a fly fishing guide right in downtown Breckenridge if you're interested. Have a good trip.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:41 AM   #28
Mr. Sandman

fly fishing in feb?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:04 PM   #29
devils fiddle

summit county is alot of fun. all the areas mentioned in this thread can and are epic in there own right. the key to any good trip is good snow. the hardest snow or boiler plate i've ever skied was on a heli trip in valdez, not the epic powder you see in the mags.

Just moved back to Killington this week. guns are running and some natural snow thursday and friday. mountain opens on tuesday. 10 trails and a park, a real opening with some real base. usually they only blow for 2 days this year there going for 7. one more fishing trip this week then i say
LET IT PUKE.
devils fiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 12:32 AM   #30
Motor Fish

Quote:
fly fishing in feb?
You Bet! As long as it's not too cold and the rivers freeze completely over. They were guiding when I was there in January. Here's a link to the guide right in downtown Breck. I think there are a few others too.

Breckenridge Fly Fishing Link