Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie

So who has gone to see it ?
Opinions / thoughts if you did see it ?

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
spence

It should get double billing with Fahrenheit 911.

-spence
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

a woman I work with saw it, she said it was pretty frightening.

I wont bother. I dont believe the premise for the film. O is no different than your average liberal and I dont think he has some communist, anti-colonial, anti-US mission.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

I wont bother. I dont believe the premise for the film. O is no different than your average liberal and I dont think he has some communist, anti-colonial, anti-US mission.
Really...he is an islamist in sheeps clothing out to destroy the U S and has done a good job of it in the last 31/2 years.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Interesting movie and since I view bho as a domestic enemy of the constitution so in my eyes any civil way to spread the word is helpful..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:

"O is no different than your average liberal..."

I don't know...I like to think that most liberals would not associate with the likes of Rev Wright. I keep coming back to that. You have to be a genuine radical to listen to that putrid bile for 20 years. I can't say whether Obama sat there because he liked what he heard or because he thought it would advance his political career in Chicago...either way, there's no one in that "church" who is not an extremist.

I'm not comparing Obama to Stalin or anything...but if someone chooses to embrace that "church", I'm pretty comfortable and confident sticking them with the label "radical extremist".

I'd put Obama near (or in) the radical fringe of liberalism...he's way left of center-left.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

My definition of average liberal is way to the left

Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
spence

Quote:
My definition of average liberal is way to the left
This would be an accurate way to think about it. Most polls I've seen indicate less than 20% would self describe themselves as "liberal".

The problem is that the word is misused by many on the Right to mean anything I don't agree with

What I am surprised with though, is that Jim still clings to his fundamental misunderstanding as to what the Trinity United Church of Christ is really about.

-spence
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What I am surprised with though, is that Jim still clings to his fundamental misunderstanding as to what the Trinity United Church of Christ is really about.

-spence
Is that Rev Wright's church?

Spence, instead of insulting me and scurrying off, why not try to enlighten me?

What is Rev Wright really about? I claim he is a deranged, racist, hate-peddler. The man said that the federal govt created the AIDS virus to exterminate blacks (news to Pres Bush, who is credited with saving the lives of more than 1 million AIDS vistims in Africa).

So, Spence...what is Black Liberation Theology really about? What is the true meaning that I am missing?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I am in 100% agreement with Jim on Rev Wrights church.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Spence, instead of insulting me and scurrying off, why not try to enlighten me?
That wasn't an insult, it was just an observation.

Also, I don't scurry.

Quote:
What is Rev Wright really about? I claim he is a deranged, racist, hate-peddler. The man said that the federal govt created the AIDS virus to exterminate blacks (news to Pres Bush, who is credited with saving the lives of more than 1 million AIDS vistims in Africa).

So, Spence...what is Black Liberation Theology really about? What is the true meaning that I am missing?
It's about black people believing they can be Christian, and how their faith can help them in the here and now vs the afterlife...that's what it's about. I believe Trinity is affiliated with the United Church of Christ which is as mainstream as Protestants get.

We've talked about this quite a bit, but you can't judge a man's entire life over a few sound bites you heard on FOX News. Yes, he has a few kooky beliefs, yes he's made controversial statements to provoke his parish to think, but you have little if any visibility to the other 99.9% of his time as minister or the works he's done to help guide his church and benefit the poor.

Do you think other ministers like Robertson or Falwell haven't been good spiritual advisers to some of their flock considering the terrible hate we've all heard them spew?

Besides, this entire topic is so 2008

-spence
Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
We've talked about this quite a bit, but you can't judge a man's entire life over a few sound bites you heard on FOX News. Yes, he has a few kooky beliefs, yes he's made controversial statements to provoke his parish to think, but you have little if any visibility to the other 99.9% of his time as minister or the works he's done to help guide his church and benefit the poor.

-spence
its funny from my side of the fence Spence. I bet many many lefties would agree with you, but I remember when Don Imus made a crude joke and was dragged by liberals across the media as a raving racist. Yet the guy built a ranch for poor kids with cancer, a high percentage african american and he and his wife devoted their lives to this. yet that was not important to the talking heads. They were more upset that a shock jock, comedian made a deragatory racial slur. the guy was fired, lost his network and sponsorships. I believe Rev. Wright continued chugging along?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
its funny from my side of the fence Spence. I bet many many lefties would agree with you, but I remember when Don Imus made a crude joke and was dragged by liberals across the media as a raving racist. Yet the guy built a ranch for poor kids with cancer, a high percentage african american and he and his wife devoted their lives to this. yet that was not important to the talking heads. They were more upset that a shock jock, comedian made a deragatory racial slur. the guy was fired, lost his network and sponsorships. I believe Rev. Wright continued chugging along?
No, the negative exposure forced Wright out of his church.

The Imus thing was a bit different. Humorous adult content is usually given more latitude, but even for Imus this even was quite cruel in a mockingly racist way.

Was his punishment overkill? I think so, but he also crossed a line.

-spence
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Some perspective from my side of the fence
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	408209_363595273714964_170956821_n.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	52953  

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Really...he is an islamist in sheeps clothing out to destroy the U S and has done a good job of it in the last 31/2 years.
Yep. And we are not really here either, since the world ended in October of 2011.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I believe Trinity is affiliated with the United Church of Christ which is as mainstream as Protestants get.

-spence
Yes, Trinity is part of the United Church of Christ which was formed in 1957 as one of the most liberal Protestant relegious organizations there is. They are the farthest thing from the mainstream Protestant Church going.

Obama was the keynote speaker at their 50 th anniversary in 07, and if my memory
seves me right they got into trouble for collecting campaighn funds for Obama
at their anniversary meeting.

Seperation of church and state.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
Yet the guy built a ranch for poor kids with cancer, a high percentage african american and he and his wife devoted their lives to this.
I thought there was a big scandal b/c he has his brother ??? on a high salary there and also the ranch is only used for kids a few weeks a year while he uses the ranch the rest of the year.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #18
PaulS

Quote:
Also, I don't scurry.

Come on, your suppose to constantly check back everytime you post something in case someone replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet_197.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	52955  
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I thought there was a big scandal b/c he has his brother ??? on a high salary there and also the ranch is only used for kids a few weeks a year while he uses the ranch the rest of the year.
i've never heard any of that.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
PaulS

Scandal may have been too strong of a word to use. Here is something quickly found. Seems like the person may have an agenda???? Who knows the truth - usually somewhere in the middle. There was a link to a WSJ article, which I didn't read. I bike ride past his house a lot.

Where Most Needed: Imus Ranch Violates Charity Oversight Standards