Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
buckman

500K max. pay?

So now Obama wants to set the pay scale for companies that use bailout money. Saying this will get more stupid Americans behind the bailout I guess. I think I heard Barney Frank say that a limit should be set for all companies.... Hypocrits.....What do you bet when Hollywood gets their money there will be no such limits.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Nebe

Im all about it. but I am a communist art fag.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
EarnedStripes44

I thinks its a good idea for those husbanding the sweet milk they've suckled out of the government teet and getting fat. Put the piglets on a diet.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
I thinks its a good idea for those husbanding the sweet milk they've suckled out of the government teet and getting fat. Put the piglets on a diet.
And the government sucks 50% of these people earnings via taxes and these people pay most of the revenue the govenrment takes in. Talk about getting fat. your putting the people that PAY most of the money on a diet, while spending tons of money!

redistribution of wealth.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Bman - I've let the political filth spill over into the Scuppers, see my post on the article on wall st.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
buckman

What about setting a max. of 500k for the politicians. Then they wouldn't be cheating on thier taxes. They suck from the trough and give nothing in return. Hell, Clinton made 10's of millions last year and we pay him, his staff and his security.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
What about setting a max. of 500k for the politicians.
The President's salary is $400,000 a year and the senate and congress is less than $200,000 a year so it's already there.

But if you are OK with giving a Bank $50B of the taxpayers money and having there execs take a few million of that each for Bonuses.......more power to you....I prefer they cap it.....once they pay it back they can give their execs a gazillion Dollars for all I Care

and Barney Frank is a moron......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
What about setting a max. of 500k for the politicians. Then they wouldn't be cheating on thier taxes. They suck from the trough and give nothing in return. Hell, Clinton made 10's of millions last year and we pay him, his staff and his security.
Most of Clinton's money was made on investments, speaking arrangements and his books.

It's an interesting situation about the security. Legally, he only gets Secret Security protection for 10 years after leaving office, but with Hillary now in the cabinet, I wonder what'll be the case.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

It's an interesting situation about the security. Legally, he only gets Secret Security protection for 10 years after leaving office, but with Hillary now in the cabinet, I wonder what'll be the case.
What I want to know is who is gonna protect Bill from Attilla the Hen now that she's Secretary of State...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Most of Clinton's money was made on investments, speaking arrangements and his books.

I thought Clinton made it 10 years for secret service protection beginning with his successor.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
MAC

http://www.sodahead.com/blog/35489/b...fter-10-years/

Old slick willy failed to include himself in the 10 year plan.....................
Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
And the government sucks 50% of these people earnings via taxes and these people pay most of the revenue the govenrment takes in. Talk about getting fat. your putting the people that PAY most of the money on a diet, while spending tons of money!

redistribution of wealth.
50% top-tax rate?
You pay a sliding scale on the first 100,000 of earnings and then the top rate is 39%
Payment in income not classified as wages is taxed at 15%.
Corporate taxes have never been more favorable.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Man, people bitching about only making $500K a year...

Eeeee coooodeeeesh....

This Alice in Wonderland economy just gets curioser and curioser ...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #14
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
So now Obama wants to set the pay scale for companies that use bailout money. Saying this will get more stupid Americans behind the bailout I guess. I think I heard Barney Frank say that a limit should be set for all companies.... Hypocrits.....What do you bet when Hollywood gets their money there will be no such limits.
Its posturing by Obama, plain and simple. The clowns who took the financial companies down due to excessive risk taking are simply being questioned now. In my mind the question being asked is "Do you really need this money, or change in management/strategy?"
The folks at Goldman were all to quick in assuring the speedy return of gov't funds as they wished not to punish their management for whatever their performance objectives may be. This tells me most of the tarp/bailout money is "nice to have" as it makes the balance sheets appear better, but it not needed to run the businesses. Most of the money is just sitting there in need of a home.
My question is why are the automakers getting a pass here?

Take the effing pill and let these broken companies go down, for god sakes. We're just digging a deeper hole every time the gov't steps in with aid.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Old 02-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
PaulS

If Hollywood takes the bailout are you saying there won't be the same restrictions? If a company doesn't like the requirement, they don't have to take the $.

The next post maybe by someone who heard that its going to be extended to every company in the US.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
eastendlu

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...orina.intv.cnn

I think she has the right idea.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."