Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
Karl F

Saw this real Fox today!!!

the reciever where I work comes up to the front today and says to me.. there is some kind of fox, or something just wandering around out back.. so i go look, sure enough.. very healthy looking, and responded to vocals, made the smooch sound like when I call my dog, and it walked to within a few feet of me.. I told it to sit.. and it did!.. One of my co-workers who has been a hunter/fisher/woodsman for 50 years was right behind me, he said what I was thinking.. "OK..somebody has that one half tame, bet you could hand feed it".. I didn't try.. just told the fox it was time to go.. and sonuvagun, if it didn't get up, turn around , and walk off.. but took a left turn near the pizza shop dumpster ... maybe it phoned in one to go!

Last edited by Karl F; 01-10-2012 at 05:47 PM..
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Could be rabid. Wierd?
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Grapenuts

nope...mother had one coming to her back door every day...it wood stand there and bark till she came out with something for it to eat.Then the yotes started coming in and the fox stopped coming.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Karl F

nope is right, had none of the tell tale signs, and was just too well groomed, healthy and even happy looking, I think Fran was right, this one is somebody's half a pet.. other side of that chain link , and thru the woods, there is a bunch of houses backed up there, and that is where is finally headed off to, (has a nice well worn, "duckunder spot", behind the trailer).. after it ate it's pizza.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
Slingah

that is wicked cool...

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
vineyardblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapenuts View Post
nope...mother had one coming to her back door every day...it wood stand there and bark till she came out with something for it to eat.Then the yotes started coming in and the fox stopped coming.

Meat Pie
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
O.D. Mike

Make a nice coat, for a hobbit...

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
Rockfish9

they do get used to people....as long as the actvity does not threaten them.... I've got one that checks out the bird feeder from time to time... it is not above raiding the stale bread put out for the birds... in this picture it walked right up the the window where I was drying breakfast dishes... it clearly knew i was there...looked at me and went on it's way...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (2) of Picture 589.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	49063  

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
fishbones

About a month ago, my buddy and I had one walk right up to within 10 feet of us while fishing a beach. It came out of the tall grass and was right near us in no time. It startled me for a second until I realized it was a fox. My buddy tossed an eel near it and it went right after it. They seem to like eels for some reason. Last Saturday I threw about 8 dead ones into the woods next to my house and on Sunday morning, there were 2 sets of tracks in the snow all around where the eels were.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
About a month ago, my buddy and I had one walk right up to within 10 feet of us while fishing a beach. It came out of the tall grass and was right near us in no time. It startled me for a second until I realized it was a fox. My buddy tossed an eel near it and it went right after it. They seem to like eels for some reason. Last Saturday I threw about 8 dead ones into the woods next to my house and on Sunday morning, there were 2 sets of tracks in the snow all around where the eels were.
I've been throwing dead eels out in my woods for years and we always have fox back there. i never put the 2 together but it makes sense.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
WESTPORTMAFIA

We would pack in the bed of the pick up truck in Pittsburgh NH and drive up and down moose alley at night checking out the moose and drinking beers when we would go up to
snowmobile. We came across a fox pup one night and fed it fudge rounds. It chased our truck for miles and came very close to us. It was pretty cool to be that close and watch it literally roll around on the junk food like a cat with catnip. I'm sure you will see that little fellow around again as long as the cops don't shoot it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote