Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Obama and the looming 'sequester' cuts

Obama gave a very moving and chilling talk recently about the upcoming cuts that will kick in unless congress agrees to a fiscal deal. If the automatic cuts kick in, according to Obama the following will happen...

our military will be weakened
many teachers will get laid off
prosecutors will have to drop cases and let criminals go free
benefits won't get paid to people who need them
locusts will eat all of us

Kidding on that last one. If these cuts will be so painful and detrimental, doesn't it seem that the person responsible for suggesting these cuts be held accountable? Do you know whose idea these cuts were? Do you know who proposed them?

Obama. It was all his idea.

Only in this deranged Obama-world, can he propose the automatic cuts, and then specifically blame Republicans for the harm that the cuts will cause. And nobody holds him accountable. The liberal media let him claim that it's the GOP's fault, and they don't ask him why it's anyone's fault but his own.

How much contempt Obama must have for the sheep that will, without question, allow him to exhibit such chutzpah.

That's bipartisanship? That's what a unifier does?

Spence? Paul S? Rockhound? What am I missing here?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
buckman

What He meant was" this is what the GOP wants to happen to you"
He is by far the biggest fear mongerer president ever.
And the media has enabled him. He is like a child
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Jim in CT

It's mind-boggling. I gather Obama wanted cuts put in there that were so Draconian, it would force congress to reach a long-term deal. Given that, Obama is in no place to blame the GOP for what might happen.

I also saw a White House spokesman calim that Boehner and the GOP haven't proposed the elimination of any tax loopholes. How many trillion-dollar spending cuts has Obama proposed?

To listen to Obama, you'd think that all of our economic problems would disapear if those meanies in the GOP would just agree to tweak tax rates on the billionaires.

It's such a blatant lie. But what stuns me, is that it works. The impact of tax hikes, in the face of our debt and the looming crisis from SS and Medicare, wont even put a tiny dent in our needs. Yet all Obama talks about is tax hikes. Sorry, let me re-phrase that for Paul S. Obama spends way more time blaming the GOP for opposing tax hikes, and not nearly enough time talking about the need for massive changes to entitleent programs.

When a conservative like Paul Ryan has the courage to say out loud that SS and Medicare are not sustainable, the liberals claim that the GOP hates old people and poor people.

It's ridiculous. Not all the liberals are this stupid. I understand that Spence works in Finance? How can he possibly work in Finance, and deny that we need mmassive, painful, but necessary, cuts?

I just don't get it. I give Obama high praise for killing terrorists, he has been better in that regard than I was expecting. But he has to stop the fear-mongering when discussing economics.

To all the Obama supporters here...please answer 2 questions. First, do you deny that SS and Medicare are underfunded by tens of trillions of dollars? Second, if you agree to that shortfall, please tell me how tax hikes will put any meaningful dent in that. Jesus Christ, we'd have to increase tax rates by 50% just to break even this fiscal year, and that doesn't give us one penny to use to shore up SS and Medicare.

Tax hikes produce an impact that is not worth mentioning. Yet it's all you hear (sorry, Paul S, almost all you hear) from liberals in general and Obama in particular. Obama will not speak the truth on this issue because it's not consistent with his ideology. So in his 8 years, no meaningful fixes will be implemented, which means that when we can't delay the fixes any more, they need to be that much more draastic.

Obama's unwillingness to lead on this issue, or even to speak the truth for God's sake, will cause unbelievable pain in 10 - 15 years. And it's not the type of dishonest cowering that he claims typifies his personality.

This is not advanced calculus, it's 4th grade arithmetic. And twice we elected a guy who denies the reality of that simple math.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-20-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

When a conservative like Paul Ryan has the courage to say out loud that SS and Medicare are not sustainable, the liberals claim that the GOP hates old people and poor people.
LOL, true to form Pelosie comes out with her latest stick, " Repub cost cuts
will cause the end of Meals on Wheels."
They either demonize or try scare tatctics. It's getting old.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
spence

Is this thread for real? Seriously...
Old 02-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I here ya Spence !
I can't believe anyone would even pay attention to this . 4+ years of crisis of crisis, do nothing fiscal management and complete failure of leadership and we keep falling for it. Hell, even the media is starting to laugh at this guys shinnanigans.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

I would have to say everyone's shenigans in DC. It's pretty much laughable that both sides continue to stare each other down at the expense of the voters
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
That's all you got? So you cannot refute the fact that Obama is bashing the GOP for the cuts he himself engineered. So since this topic makes your man-crush look like the lying idiot that he is on all things economic, all you can do is say "is this for real"?

What's not real, is your intellectual honesty.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Fishpart
Keep The Change

The Anointed One can easily say it is the GOPs fault because if they did what he wanted we wouldn't have a sequester, so in his mind it is their fault. They have given in but multiple times but not to the level he expects so that makes it their fault the Senate dummycraps who are in lockstep with HIM won't pass a budget...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I would have to say everyone's shenigans in DC. It's pretty much laughable that both sides continue to stare each other down at the expense of the voters
One side is stating the truth, that tax hikes won't (more accurately, can't) help us, that we need massive cuts. The other side refuses to accept that, and goes so far as to accuse the honest politicians of hating old people and poor people.

I'm not saying all Republicans are good, and all Democrats are bad. But on this issue, all that is required is an understanding of third grade arithmetic. Our debt, plus the shortfalls to SS and Medicare, is more than 50 trillion dollars. If Spence and his beloved Obama claim all we need to do is tweak tax rates on the billionaires, please show us the math to support that. Otherwise, admit the truth that we need massive cuts. Arithmetic dictates that the longer we wait to make the cuts, the more severe they will have to be. The Baby Boomers have been unwilling to give up a dime, so the following generations are going to be completely f*cked.

Spence, if you have any facts, any whatsoever, to dispute this, I beg you to share them. I desperately want to be wrong here. But I'm not.

Paul Ryan proposes changes that are one possible way (maybe not the best way) to take a step in the right direction. The left villifies him for it, and makes a commercial showing him pushing an old lady off a cliff. Obama accuses the GOP of favoring "social Darwinism".

That's the political reality.

In 12 years, the benefits for SS and Medicare, combined with interest on our debt, will consume 100% of current federal spending levels. I'm not making that up. Let that sink in. Either show me that I'm totally wrong (and I pray that's the case), or stop the personal attacks, roll up our sleeves, and let's get to work fixing this thing.

Spence, how much money are you willing to confiscate from your kids and grandkids, for decisions made before they were born?

Unfreakinbelievable. As George Will says, on economic issues, liberals are actively hostile to arithmetic. And I, for one, don't get it.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
One side is stating the truth, that tax hikes won't (more accurately, can't) help us, that we need massive cuts. The other side refuses to accept that, and goes so far as to accuse the honest politicians of hating old people and poor people.

I'm not saying all Republicans are good, and all Democrats are bad. But on this issue, all that is required is an understanding of third grade arithmetic. Our debt, plus the shortfalls to SS and Medicare, is more than 50 trillion dollars. If Spence and his beloved Obama claim all we need to do is tweak tax rates on the billionaires, please show us the math to support that. Otherwise, admit the truth that we need massive cuts. Arithmetic dictates that the longer we wait to make the cuts, the more severe they will have to be. The Baby Boomers have been unwilling to give up a dime, so the following generations are going to be completely f*cked.

Spence, if you have any facts, any whatsoever, to dispute this, I beg you to share them. I desperately want to be wrong here. But I'm not.

Paul Ryan proposes changes that are one possible way (maybe not the best way) to take a step in the right direction. The left villifies him for it, and makes a commercial showing him pushing an old lady off a cliff. Obama accuses the GOP of favoring "social Darwinism".

That's the political reality.

In 12 years, the benefits for SS and Medicare, combined with interest on our debt, will consume 100% of current federal spending levels. I'm not making that up. Let that sink in. Either show me that I'm totally wrong (and I pray that's the case), or stop the personal attacks, roll up our sleeves, and let's get to work fixing this thing.

Spence, how much money are you willing to confiscate from your kids and grandkids, for decisions made before they were born?

Unfreakinbelievable. As George Will says, on economic issues, liberals are actively hostile to arithmetic. And I, for one, don't get it.
to both our points, we need some adults in the conversations in DC
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
I agree. I'd say that we have some adults there, like Paul Ryan. Unfortunately the president isn't one of the adults on this topic, and only only one TV station dares to point out the truth on this matter, which is the largest national security threat since WWII.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Another adult speaking the truth is Marco Rubio. But the fact that he states our liabilities are approaching is $100 trillion, is irrelevent. What really, really matters, is that he reached for a glass of water. Pay no attention to his silly ramblings about some hundred trillion dollar shortfall, and focus only on the fact he reached for a glass of water.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #14
ReelinRod

I'm sure "some" here will have an issue with the creator of the ad but damn, it smacks the demagogue right in the kisser:

With the mocking sarcastic animations perhaps the idiot enablers will recognize the empty suit they elected, it's certainly presented at the MTV intellectual level they operate on.

Watch out for the gloved fingers of the TSA!

Last edited by ReelinRod; 02-23-2013 at 02:13 AM..

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

What's wrong here? Ya got Obama coming up with the Sequester idea,
Congress passes it, he signs it, and now 3 days before the date he's out
campainging against it with scare tactics and a Dooms day senario.
Meantime the debt clock keeps running us into oblivion and he wants to
add more taxes.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
striperman36
Old Guy

My understanding is that furloughs won't hit until 30 days after 3/1.
I'm hoping my projects dont' get put on hold.

There is a mad scramble to award those projects that are funded prior to the end of March.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Furloughs will start April 22nd...They need to give people affected a 30 day notice.

If I'm not mistaken...notices will go out on Mar 15th

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
buckman

We went through the same thing with proposition 2 1/2
The world didnt end ,the towns didn't fold up and die , we survived
It appears the Obama administration will allow the cuts to go with a hurt people the most.
It appears Homeland security will allow people to run across the border and endanger Americans
It appears we are going to have a gross dereliction of duties by this administration.
Thereby endangering Americans Contrary to the oath swearing to protect Americans.
Head should roll!!!