Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

No Class Mr. Patrick!

Our new gov. decided not to vote for a President Ronald Reagan day. I lost a lot of respect for him because of this. President Reagan was loved by many MA residents as evidenced by him carrying this Democrat state twice! No Republican candidate has ever done that. But Mr. Patrick couldn't respect a man who has done a hell of a lot more than he will ever do and vote to give the man a holiday in his name! I'm a registered democrat and ashamed!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 02-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Personally I don't think there needs to be a Ronald Reagan Day. We don't have Franklin Delano Roosevelt Day or Abraham Lincoln Day. I mean Hell we changed the Founding Father of our Country's Birthday into Presidents Day with other guys. Why should Reagan get his own Day before them.

I have nothing against Reagan, I think he did a good job when he was in office. I think he was pivotal in ending the Cold War. Buy don't you think there are other presidents that should be getting a day before Reagan, like the ones mentioned above. Can't go around issuing holidays for every president....nobody would ever go to work

Heck, there isn't even a John F Kennedy Day in Massachusetts.....and I'm sure he was admired by a few preople here.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 02-12-2007 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: I Can't Type

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
stripersnipr

Yep, I think one day set aside for honoring all Presidents suffices. What really needs to be implemented is the Superbowl Monday Holiday.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Personally I don't think there needs to be a Ronald Reagan Day. We don't have Franklin Delano Roosevelt Day or Abraham Lincoln Day. I mean Hell we changed the Founding Father of our Country's Birthday into Presidents Day with other guys. Why should Reagan get his own Day before them.

I have nothing against Reagan, I think he did a good job when he was in office. I think he was pivotal in ending the Cold War. Buy don't you think there are other presidents that should be getting a day before Reagan, like the ones mentioned above. Can't go around issuing holidays for every president....nobody would ever go to work

Heck, there isn't even a John F Kennedy Day in Massachusetts.....and I'm sure he was admired by a few preople here.
Point taken and I have to say I can't really argue against. Maybe I'm more upset that I think he did it because Reagan was a Republican. JFK IMO other than the Cuban Missle crisis didn't do much as far as foriegn policy.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 02-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
stripersnipr

Here's a really good indication of what Patrick does support.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ground_checks/
Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Was this proposal a one day event to honor Reagan or a permanent holiday on the calender every year. If its just a once in a lifetime day honoring the guy I think its unfortunate that it could not be approved. If it is otherwise then I agree with the Presidents day honoring them all at once.

I would bet it was the first suggestion I made though or we all would have heard of this proposal. Patrick is finding that he will not be able to keep any of his campaign promises for lack of money. In fact the 348 million he restored to cuts that Romney made he wished he didn't restore. The slouching housing market is predicted to put a crimp in revenues for the next 2 1/2 years, and it will be that long before revenues are at the level they were before the current real estate crunch started. This is why he has been so low key because thier are numerous people who want to hit him on this publically.

At least Romney new enough about finances to know the cuts were necessary because of the predicted shortages in revenue. Patrick doesn't understand that at all nor due any of his aides. Remember what Healy said about returning to the Dukakis era of spend spend spend.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 02-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
stripersnipr

Glad to see the Governor got a nice new Caddie to shuttle himself to the Helicopter Hangar. So much for his campaign promise to cut out governmental waste. Suckahs.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
JFK IMO other than the Cuban Missle crisis didn't do much as far as foriegn policy.
Yea, it was only the closest the World has ever been to nuclear war...no biggie

And I guess the fact that he was assassaniated mid-term didn't really let his foreign policy leadership shine through.

The Reagan vote was pretty silly.

-spence
Old 02-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yea, it was only the closest the World has ever been to nuclear war...no biggie

And I guess the fact that he was assassaniated mid-term didn't really let his foreign policy leadership shine through.

The Reagan vote was pretty silly.

-spence
I don't know........I think the Bay of Pigs had some shine to it. But all in all I can't dispute Kennedy's leadership qualities or most of his policies. Too bad there weren't a lot more Kennedy Democrats in America. Are there any left at all?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
Too bad there weren't a lot more Kennedy Democrats in America. Are there any left at all?
I think there are moderate Democrats and Republicans that embody similar beliefs, but the highly charged partisan environment we're in makes it very difficult for them to gain traction with the general public because the fringe has control over the money.

While I'm not sure I personally understand the Afterlife, if there is one I'd wager that both Kennedy and Barry Goldwater are wretching in their graves over the state of the US Government.

-spence
Old 02-18-2007, 12:04 AM   #11
thortum

Reagan=right man at the right time. Good riddens to the peanut farmer. Plus Reagan suppoted the NRA. Luv the man.

Last edited by thortum; 02-18-2007 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: missed word
Old 02-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #12
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

I'm now inclined to think that any decision "DeVille" Patrick makes is not so good. Town taxes? Helicopters? Pimpmobiles?

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #13
stripersnipr

A quote from Devils Website:

"In my administration, state government will model what it asks of its citizens. As the state replaces its vehicle fleet, for example, new purchases will be hybrid or other fuel-efficient vehicles."