Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
mfm22

Very cool.. thanks for the great shot of internals

Last edited by mfm22; 02-14-2011 at 03:55 PM..
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Lower

Thanks guys. It was fun to build. Look forward to doing more. They just take awhile. I found nothing was overly hard (hardest part was probably trying to weight them correctly) but like every new style plug, each step has to be figured out.

Chris...it's PVC based. I've never used the stuff before but it's great for swimbaits. Getting them weighted right is tough and it's nice to not have to worry about sealing them. Was it you who use to make a bunch of PVC plugs??? I remember reading that but forgot who was doing it. I know the PVC fumes are not great for you, but for the few of these I'll make I'm not all that worried.

Couple more pics. Just fixturing these and figuring out how to paint and epoxy them took some thinking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inprimer.JPG
Views:	1022
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	44532   Click image for larger version

Name:	withpaint.JPG
Views:	1778
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	44533  
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower View Post
Thanks guys. It was fun to build. Look forward to doing more. They just take awhile. I found nothing was overly hard (hardest part was probably trying to weight them correctly) but like every new style plug, each step has to be figured out.

Chris...it's PVC based. I've never used the stuff before but it's great for swimbaits. Getting them weighted right is tough and it's nice to not have to worry about sealing them. Was it you who use to make a bunch of PVC plugs??? I remember reading that but forgot who was doing it. I know the PVC fumes are not great for you, but for the few of these I'll make I'm not all that worried.

Couple more pics. Just fixturing these and figuring out how to paint and epoxy them took some thinking.
Maybe the muskyslayer approach for molded plugs would work
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Jigman

Messed around with swimbaits a couple years back. Have done real well on smallies with them. A few stripers too. The weighting and the hinges seem to be the most important part. More weight in the front section and less in each of the other sections. The tail has to be pretty loose for the bait to swim right. Once you get it down they are a real cool bait. A shot of one of my larger striper sized ones in this thread: http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...uiet-here.html Fins and tail are lexan cut to shape. I used screw eyes for the hinges.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Lower

I agree Jigman. I read enough to get the general idea, but found out exactly what you wrote. I ended up with most all of the weight in the head, second section had less. I ended up with no weight in last section which helps with that loose joint. Also found having a wider spacing at the last joint helped. It is a cool bait, and i still have a lot more learning to do. Hoping I bump into a few people saturday who have messed with them.
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Jigman

Sounds like we found out similar things. Cool baits for sure

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote