Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-02-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

What does the world think?

You can put your head in the sand or scream really loud or drink beer (I like beer) until the Kavanaugh issue is over or you could look at this.
The title is not all there is to it and it is important.
http://www.pewglobal.org/2018/10/01/...ng-key-allies/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
wdmso

President Donald Trump has told reporters that it is a "difficult" and "scary" time for young men in the US.

He Keeps pouring gas on the fire ...

But again his supporters are convinced that's the truth
Old 10-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
President Donald Trump has told reporters that it is a "difficult" and "scary" time for young men in the US.
He's not wrong

....and let me guess, more "Spot On" reading comprehension , as the OP is about the world's view on the US and Trump, but....but....Kavanaugh

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 10-02-2018 at 02:49 PM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
detbuch

We should extend voting privileges to illegals, undocumented immigrants, green card visitors and also to the rest of the world. Then they could elect politicians that they like and think well of. They could even vote for people from their own countries to fill our political ranks. Hell, Merkel could become President. Then the world would like and approve of us.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You can put your head in the sand or scream really loud or drink beer (I like beer) until the Kavanaugh issue is over or you could look at this.
As an aside to your insertion of Kavanaugh and drinking beer, Obama said he drank beer in excess in high school. And that he spent his time in high school mostly in a daze--or something like that. In Obama's words:

"I will confess to you that I was kind of a goof-off in high school"

"You know, I made some bad decisions that I've actually written about. You know, got into drinking. I experimented with drugs,"

"There was a whole stretch of time that I didn't really apply myself a lot. It wasn't until I got out of high school and went to college that I started realizing, 'Man, I wasted a lot of time."'

"Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed,"

Mostly he smoked marijuana and drank alcohol, Obama wrote, but occasionally he would snort cocaine when he could afford it.

Gee, I wonder if he was fit, morally qualified and had the right temperament to be President when he did such things in high school.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Gee, I wonder if he was fit, morally qualified and had the right temperament to be President when he did such things in high school.
I'd note by the quotes in your own post it doesn't sound like he lied about his behavior either...
Old 10-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
We should extend voting privileges to illegals, undocumented immigrants, green card visitors and also to the rest of the world. Then they could elect politicians that they like and think well of. They could even vote for people from their own countries to fill our political ranks. Hell, Merkel could become President. Then the world would like and approve of us.
I reread it all to see where you could have found that and could not find it.
Your dystopian view of the world is showing.
Perhaps instead of a wall along the Mexican border, a dome might be more to your liking. Then all those nasty other people would not pollute your perfect world.
When Trump gives his farewell address what will he say to us and the rest of the world? They listen
Here are a few statements from previous presidents as examples
Barack Obama said that America’s rivals will never “match our influence unless we give up what we stand for.” George W. Bush declared that “freeing people from oppression and despair is eternally right.” Bill Clinton said that if history has “taught us anything, it is that we achieve our aims by defending our values and leading the forces of freedom and peace.” Ronald Reagan brought his presidency to a close with a story about a Vietnamese refugee, peering up from his boat at his rescuers on a U.S. aircraft carrier and calling out: “Hello American sailor. Hello freedom man.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
As an aside to your insertion of Kavanaugh and drinking beer, Obama said he drank beer in excess in high school. And that he spent his time in high school mostly in a daze--or something like that. In Obama's words:

"I will confess to you that I was kind of a goof-off in high school"

"You know, I made some bad decisions that I've actually written about. You know, got into drinking. I experimented with drugs,"

"There was a whole stretch of time that I didn't really apply myself a lot. It wasn't until I got out of high school and went to college that I started realizing, 'Man, I wasted a lot of time."'

"Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed,"

Mostly he smoked marijuana and drank alcohol, Obama wrote, but occasionally he would snort cocaine when he could afford it.

"I respect his honesty in doing that," Giuliani said. "I think one of the things that we need from people who are running for office is not this pretense of perfection. And the reality is all of us who run for public office whether its governor, legislature, mayor, president - we're all humans beings. If we haven't made mistakes, don't vote for us. Cause we're gonna have some big ones that are going to happen, unfortunately. And we wouldn't know how to handle them!"

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
"I respect his honesty in doing that," Giuliani said. "I think one of the things that we need from people who are running for office is not this pretense of perfection. And the reality is all of us who run for public office whether its governor, legislature, mayor, president - we're all humans beings. If we haven't made mistakes, don't vote for us. Cause we're gonna have some big ones that are going to happen, unfortunately. And we wouldn't know how to handle them!"
Got to give it to O. He was honest about some things. He did tell the truth about his intention to fundamentally transform America.

And Giuliani hit it when he said those running for office should not have a pretense of perfection. I think Kavanaugh admitted that he was not perfect, and that he drank a lot of beer.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
I reread it all to see where you could have found that and could not find it.

Why on earth would you do that? I didn't claim that what I said was in your article. I was just being sarcastic about your concern about what the world supposedly thinks about America.

Your dystopian view of the world is showing.
Perhaps instead of a wall along the Mexican border, a dome might be more to your liking. Then all those nasty other people would not pollute your perfect world.

Atta boy. You can be sarcastic too.

When Trump gives his farewell address what will he say to us and the rest of the world? They listen
Here are a few statements from previous presidents as examples
Barack Obama said that America’s rivals will never “match our influence unless we give up what we stand for.” George W. Bush declared that “freeing people from oppression and despair is eternally right.” Bill Clinton said that if history has “taught us anything, it is that we achieve our aims by defending our values and leading the forces of freedom and peace.” Ronald Reagan brought his presidency to a close with a story about a Vietnamese refugee, peering up from his boat at his rescuers on a U.S. aircraft carrier and calling out: “Hello American sailor. Hello freedom man.”
After I get done being concerned about what the world thinks, then I also must wonder what Trump will say?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
He's not wrong

....and let me guess, more "Spot On" reading comprehension , as the OP is about the world's view on the US and Trump, but....but....Kavanaugh
Probably because women who for decades never spoke up are now feeling they can with the me too movement. I’m not nieve, there are going to be a very very small percentage of women who will make false accusations to get even or for some other alterior motive, but in light of how society has treated those coming forward in the past; I beating the majority will by legit.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Probably because women who for decades never spoke up are now feeling they can with the me too movement. I’m not nieve, there are going to be a very very small percentage of women who will make false accusations to get even or for some other alterior motive, but in light of how society has treated those coming forward in the past; I beating the majority will by legit.
I get all that, but it still doesn't mean that he's not wrong.

And what is an acceptable percentage of false accusations?

Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
I get all that, but it still doesn't mean that he's not wrong.

And what is an acceptable percentage of false accusations?
Well if you look back through history, it was a terrifying time to be a Native American, then can you imagine being black loaded like cord wood headed to America, then women had their turn, maybe it’s time for men; especially men who have abused their power.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Sometimes the tangents these threads take are interesting, I was hoping this one would lead to something other than a possibly drunk preppy being an idiot.
I’m convinced that he had wet dreams till he was 30, he certainly was not glib enough to talk girls into his bed, never mind a three way
Old 10-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #15
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Sometimes the tangents these threads take are interesting, I was hoping this one would lead to something other than a possibly drunk preppy being an idiot.
I’m convinced that he had wet dreams till he was 30, he certainly was not glib enough to talk girls into his bed, never mind a three way
Good luck with that hope and dream, I think many are happy with life on the ever isolated Trump Island and don’t give a crap how the rest of the world sees us. I’m more of a Star Trek dreamer type and this entire planet will out of necessity at some point need to get its collective sh*t together.

beam me up Scotty
Old 10-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Good luck with that hope and dream, I think many are happy with life on the ever isolated Trump Island and don’t give a crap how the rest of the world sees us. I’m more of a Star Trek dreamer type and this entire planet will out of necessity at some point need to get its collective sh*t together.

beam me up Scotty
This
Old 10-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #17
detbuch

It would be interesting to take a survey of what The U.S thinks about the rest of the world. Or a survey of what Russia thinks about the rest of the world? Or China. Or what Germany thinks about Poland. Or what Sweden thinks about Germany. Or what Hungary thinks about the rest of Europe. Or what the rest of Europe thinks about Hungary. Or what Europe thinks about Africa. Or what Iran thinks about the rest of the world.

What's so special about the rest of the world. Is every country supposed to be all things to all people.

What do Americans think about America?

So the answer is that we all unite as one world a la Star Trek. Would that be the New World Order? The One World Order? But that New World Order thing is just a right wing conspiracy.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
It would be interesting to take a survey of what The U.S thinks about the rest of the world. Or a survey of what Russia thinks about the rest of the world? Or China. Or what Germany thinks about Poland. Or what Sweden thinks about Germany. Or what Hungary thinks about the rest of Europe. Or what the rest of Europe thinks about Hungary. Or what Europe thinks about Africa. Or what Iran thinks about the rest of the world.

What's so special about the rest of the world. Is every country supposed to be all things to all people.

So the answer is that we all unite as one world a la Star Trek. Would that be the New World Order? The One World Order? But that New World Order thing is just a right wing conspiracy.
It’s quite apparent that you didn’t read the link or look at the information.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #19
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I’m sure the rest of the world misses Obama bowing to world leaders and having the US finance everything and they get a free ride.
Oh well 😤
Old 10-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
It’s quite apparent that you didn’t read the link or look at the information.
I did read the link. I was surprised we did as well as the survey claims. I've thought for a long time that Western Europeans considered they were better than us in most every way other than militarily. Europe has a great history. But it's become a sort of better than thou weakling that likes to pat itself on the back for what it considers a job well done. Maybe they're smokin some strange weed.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:24 AM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well if you look back through history, it was a terrifying time to be a Native American, then can you imagine being black loaded like cord wood headed to America, then women had their turn, maybe it’s time for men; especially men who have abused their power.
You left out the Jews, pretty sure they've had a rough go of things in the past.

or the Kulaks in Russia

i'm pretty sure the "Federation" wasn't about swapping out one class of people, to treat like chit, for another class.

I don't think that's how justice is supposed to work

Old 10-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #22
wdmso

Quote:
He's not wrong

ok keep drinking the cool aid He's not wrong...please more white male paranoia

Last edited by wdmso; 10-03-2018 at 06:39 AM..
Old 10-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #23
wdmso

US ends diplomatic visas for UN same-sex partners ANOTHER SHINNING EXAMPLE OF THE US BEACON TO THE WORLD DIMMING
Old 10-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
ok keep drinking the cool aid He's not wrong...please more white male paranoia

Old 10-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #25
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

My point is that eventually and even a dumb bunny like me realizes it’s probably well beyond even my kids life time, global issues will require a global solution. Ice caps melting, oceans filled with plastic, pesticides killing ecosystems, rain forests disappearing and climate change just to name a few. But hey surround use with a giant wall, let nobody in and you and your children can live out your lives in isolation on Trump Island.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:10 AM   #26
Nebe

The world thinks that this country is being led by a narcissistic clown who shows very little respect for anyone but himself and who has duped the masses into thinking he’s working to keep them safe from the brown people, yet if you watch closely, his main agenda has been to enrich the 1% and further empower corperate greed over the people.
So basically the rest o the world no longer looks at us as a global leader of morality.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
But you still treat each case on its merits. The fact that Bill Cosby and Bill Clinton were guilty, doesn't mean Kavanaugh is probably guilty.

The burden is on the accuser, always, and that's exactly how it should be.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #28
Nebe

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...e-infographic/
Old 10-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #29
Sea Dangles

Quote:
My point is that eventually and even a dumb bunny like me realizes it’s probably well beyond even my kids life time, global issues will require a global solution. Ice caps melting, oceans filled with plastic, pesticides killing ecosystems, rain forests disappearing and climate change just to name a few. But hey surround use with a giant wall, let nobody in and you and your children can live out your lives in isolation on Trump Island.
We get the government we deserve. A bitter pill for some but certainly not a life sentence. 8 years will go by quickly.

Please tell me of a global superpower who does more for the environment

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #30
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
We get the government we deserve. A bitter pill for some but certainly not a life sentence. 8 years will go by quickly.

Please tell me of a global superpower who does more for the environment
Not debating that we don’t do alot, but this administration has taken steps backwards and in a couple of decades will it matter if the rest of the world degrades the environment. You might put a wall around your country, but the air you breath, the ozone keeping you from buying 150 block sun screen and the sea levels are not under USA control.