Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #61
DaveS
Bass Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
Eben:
DJ Muller you sound like an ignorant idiot saying that noone who has caught a 60LB fish like those has the right to give an opinion.
I think what DJ meant was, until it happpens to you, you cant really say "Yeah I'm gonna release it", ya know, "Walk a mile in my shoes" kinda thing . Lemme tell ya, when you have that big slob laying at your feet your heart will be beating a 1000 times a minute. You'll be in a fog and release is not the first picture that comes into your head.

A question for #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&: Are these fish in the bunker schools, or are you getting bunkers and leaving for a different spot? Reason I ask is here in NJ, we fish the bunker schools, get right in em, snag and drop em down and pencil poppers thru the schools will get big hits . Man, let em be there next weekend

Last edited by DaveS; 09-10-2006 at 10:28 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P
August 29--a date that lives in striper infamy.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #62
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail
Moon was pretty coming up from the east over my left shoulder last night all orange with the wind on my right cheek and the added the sound of a screaming drag and it was near perfect.
Well yeah, but that wasn't the drag, that was my Newell's tired bearings. And to be honest with you, I'd rather have rain, snow, bugs, wind, plauge, and pestilence if it brought a few of those #60's over my way.

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, I've seen Flap catch a lot of good fish and he is probably the best plug fisherman I know. He ought'a be, given how long and hard he has been fishing. I don't think, however, that he considers fishing a competitive sport.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #63
JoeP

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
Yes joe, but man.arent we stretching things a bit here?? we are talking about two fish?? not total anhilation?? there are set quotas now etc.... just so that cannot happen again.......the rules are nothing like they once were..

Also those fish once on the boat were just about dead. there could have been no release...

Billy-

I agree with you - just 2 fish in this case. And I was going to say alot depends on if the fish were even releasable - so if they were not then there's no question here.

I just get pissed when some guy says I (and others) can't have an opinion on something like that. That tweaked me...

By the way, I just missed those fish at the shop because I was there an hour earlier talking to Steve. I would have loved to have seen them.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #64
inTHERAPY

I am pictured with my dad on p.2. Let clear up #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s comments about the catch and method, there was no bunker involved. I have not seen pogie in my neck of the woods for months!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 004 (2).JPG
Views:	300
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	17127  

rather be fishin'
Old 09-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #65
DaveS
Bass Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
By the way, I just missed those fish at the shop because I was there an hour earlier talking to Steve. I would have loved to have seen them.

You would lose sleep if ya saw them lol. It's one thing to see a picture, but to see a fish that size in the flesh, and maybe even get to touch it........ well, that would drive ya to drink I gaffed and held a 60# that my buddy Brian took a few years back, it makes my 50's look small

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P
August 29--a date that lives in striper infamy.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #66
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
The meat will go in the dumpster and the fish will be made into a skin mount.. thats my guess.

Remember folks, bass were almost fished to extinction in the 80's and most everyone was fishing within the legal limits..

Nice catch
Eben:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I'd like to refute all of the doom and gloom sayers about ruining the resource because of 2 60# fish killed.
It is a fact that, except in very rare instances, 50 and 60 pound fish don't have viable roe. In fact, I can quote a number of sources who have documented the fact that the roe in older fish is grey, not alive and viable (white or pink) as it is in younger breeding females. It's the same reason that 60 year old female humans don't have many babies. Their eggs are infertile. there's a hell of a lot more damage done to the resource during the commercial season in the states where it's legal. Not that I have a problem with it. Just making a point.
The second point, and of equal importance, is that regardless of whether the fish were surf caught or boat caught, they would have built up huge amounts of lactic acid and would most certianly die if released. These are old fish remember.
The third point and most important is I find it hysterical to read all there guys who claim they would release a 60. BS!!
I've done this for going on 40 years and never caught a 50. I've killed a ton of high 40s though and I'm telling you there isn't a guy on this board that wouldn't keep a 60. If you say you would release it: I DON't BELIEVE YOU!!!

Finally, congrats to Joe!!! Great Job!!!

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #67
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTHERAPY
I am pictured with my dad on p.2. Let clear up #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s comments about the catch and method, there was no bunker involved. I have not seen pogie in my neck of the woods for months!

Yes, the two other fish were caught on pogies!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #68
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

If I were lucky enough to get two 60s in a day, the second one would probably go back. But that's just me. I can't criticize anyone for keeping two 60s. It's something that doesn't happen every day

As far as no one believing I got two--hogwash. Let's say one guy got both of those 60s and walked into a shop to weigh them. Let's say he released a number of high 40s and 2 50s that day. If he was to mention, "It was a hell of a day--I put back a bunch of high 40s and 2that were over 50", would anyone in the shop doubt his word for a minute? Only the most jaded skeptic would say, "yeah right " Because the proof that the guy was into big fish, and had the skill to boat them, is hanging right there on the scale. Why should it be any different if the same guy walked into a shop with one 60 and told the proprietor, "I released another one about the same size"? You know what? It wouldn't be any different. No one would doubt it. Face it, a 60 hanging on a scale gives you instant credibility.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #69
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma
Eben:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I'd like to refute all of the doom and gloom sayers about ruining the resource because of 2 60# fish killed.
no gloom and doom from me, just pointing out that alot of people kill alot of bass and often forget where the bass were at one point. If i had caught one of those 60's i would have probably killed it, but it would also be one of one or two fish i keep all year.

those who feel entitled to catch and kill as many fish as possible within thier limits (2 fish a day everyday) disturb me and often makes me wonder how much $$ they are getting a pound on the black market. Those who keep more than their legal limits and feel that they are justified 'because everyone else are doing it' are the scum of the earth...
Old 09-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #70
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Whether they still breed at that size and are effective at it is a big question mark, but the fact remains, they're more worthwhile in the water than they are on the wall.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #71
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma
It is a fact that, except in very rare instances, 50 and 60 pound fish don't have viable roe. In fact, I can quote a number of sources who have documented the fact that the roe in older fish is grey, not alive and viable (white or pink) as it is in younger breeding females.

Could you please support this information with a link. It is the opposite of what I understand to be true.

[QUOTE-piemma]The second point, and of equal importance, is that regardless of whether the fish were surf caught or boat caught, they would have built up huge amounts of lactic acid and would most certianly die if released.
[/QUOTE]

Wrong, for the same reason runners don't die when their muscles are fatigued. It is the rare fish (bass at least) that can't be revived if appropriately handled, though I acknowledge that many fisherman do not do the latter and that undeniably some fish that appear OK on release die later.

That many people need to rationalize killing them indicates that at some level they are uncomfortable doing it (or perhaps they are comfortable doing it but uncomfortable being adversely judged by others for doing so) and are looking for reasons to feel better about it. At the end of the day, at least IMO, all ethical arguments about this become a bunch of intellectual masturbation. My only point is that if you like to keep fish to eat, sell, or mount, then I have no problem with it. If you like to keep fish to for the primary purpose of showing them off, well that's your business as well, but it is hardly something to admire.

Last edited by numbskull; 09-10-2006 at 12:55 PM..
Old 09-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #72
LINESIDES

WOW! My head is spinning. I just thought I would throw this in. I fish now and in the 80s. In the 80s I know the data information supported the decline of the stripers. However I saw no differance between then and now. I saw "no"decline in stripers where I fish. Nor did the people with knowledge. The only people not getting them back then were, the people who did not know what they were doing. These were the days when fish were categorized in pounds. Today they that think they know what are going on and fight for the rights of the fish categorize in inches! Just fish with in the rules and guide lines and every body will be ok!
Later, L

You are only as good as the person who’s driving the boat! By the way, the Devil drives my boat!
Old 09-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #73
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
no gloom and doom from me, just pointing out that alot of people kill alot of bass and often forget where the bass were at one point. If i had caught one of those 60's i would have probably killed it, but it would also be one of one or two fish i keep all year.

those who feel entitled to catch and kill as many fish as possible within thier limits (2 fish a day everyday) disturb me and often makes me wonder how much $$ they are getting a pound on the black market. Those who keep more than their legal limits and feel that they are justified 'because everyone else are doing it' are the scum of the earth...
I agree with most of what you say eben, and this paticular individule releases most of his fish....however this was a special day and they each kept them.

I however kept the 40lber I got this morning!
Old 09-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #74
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull

Could you please support this information with a link. It is the opposite of what I understand to be true.

Wrong, for the same reason runners don't die when their muscles are fatigued. It is the rare fish (bass at least) that can't be revived if appropriately handled, though I acknowledge that many fisherman do not do the latter and that undeniably some fish that appear OK on release die later.

That many people need to rationalize killing them indicates that at some level they are uncomfortable doing it (or perhaps they are comfortable doing it but uncomfortable being adversely judged by others for doing so) and are looking for reasons to feel better about it. At the end of the day, at least IMO, all ethical arguments about this become a bunch of intellectual masturbation. My only point is that if you like to keep fish to eat, sell, or mount, then I have no problem with it. If you like to keep fish to for the primary purpose of showing them off, well that's your business as well, but it is hardly something to admire.
I will pull the information together for you and PM you with the sources.
Your last point. I agree with you. If you are not going to eat, sell or mount and only keep it for the glory, then you are a scumbag. I was part of the 70's group that "tonged" the bass nightly. I am not proud of the number of fish we killed but they never went to waste. Yes, there was abuse but it was not illegal, just stupid. I can remember coming back from the Cape following Charlie Murat and having our trucks full of 20s, 30s, 40s. We gave fish to everyone we knew and when that was done my father took what was left and gave it to the Sisters of Mercy at St. Aloicious Orphanage in Greenville RI. We never bragged about what we caught because who would listen? No one cared about 40 pound bass. It was no big deal. I think with the advent of the internet it has become more of the "glory" thing. In the 70s who were you gonna tell. The few other guys that surf fished? They caught them too.

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #75
eelman

This is AMAZING......... Every person on this board who posts a fish gets accolades, I post that these guys took two real cows and its turned into a circus....could have left it at "nice fish congrats" instead....oh well forget it...its like banging your head against the wall
Old 09-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #76
"uffah!!"

Quote:
This is AMAZING......... Every person on this board who posts a fish gets accolades, I post that these guys took two real cows and its turned into a circus....could have left it at "nice fish congrats" instead....oh well forget it...its like banging your head against the wall
Just goes to show you what JEALOUSY can do!!

"Non temere mai Roma, il serpente rimane attorcigliato a Napoli!"
"Baci Mio Culo"
Old 09-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #77
Nebe

im jealous
Old 09-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #78
libassboy

Is jealous also, give my left nut for a 60...
Old 09-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #79
Skitterpop

Same here.... I`ve heard the big mommas were excellent breeders?

Where is Baldwin?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull

Good health and family
Old 09-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #80
Skitterpop

Quote:

Its all your fault Bill I think you should release Menhaden as well

Good health and family
Old 09-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #81
Squid kids Dad

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&...Congrats on your.40 Bill..What no pic's of you not smiling???Because without pics how do we know you actually caught it??

Last edited by Squid kids Dad; 09-10-2006 at 02:53 PM..

I'm going where I'm going...
Old 09-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #82
spence

On another site there's a raging argument on if your suit/sport jacket sleeve length should be relative to your wristbone-or from the tip of your thumb, to ensure you show a proper amount (1/4 to 1/2 inches) of cuff.

So perhaps it's just that time of year.

-spence
Old 09-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #83
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
If it was I, Them fiash be at the scale faster then you can know!!

I would be showing off them fish all day, and then I would spread the meat to all friends and family!!

Congrtas to whom ever it was they were truly blessed!!~

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
Old 09-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #84
Nebe

Quote:
I agree with most of what you say eben, and this paticular individule releases most of his fish....however this was a special day and they each kept them.

I however kept the 40lber I got this morning!

show me the pics
Old 09-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #85
Skitterpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
On another site there's a raging argument on if your suit/sport jacket sleeve length should be relative to your wristbone-or from the tip of your thumb, to ensure you show a proper amount (1/4 to 1/2 inches) of cuff.

So perhaps it's just that time of year.

-spence

Puhhhhlllleeeeeezzzeeeeeeeeeeeeee

LYB

Good health and family
Old 09-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #86
Skitterpop

Quote:
Flap, you are so full of it I think you need higher boots.....Maybe you should take more pics....you may be more credible with the proof... I would hate to be known as the "champion of unverifiable stories" and without a weigh in now and then, thats exactly what you are.. "I lost count of all the fish I could have weighed in for the cup" Bull%$%$%$%$.........Its easy to take a digital camara to the beach and snap a shot of all these so called cows....

60s go in the cooler...
e#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&....here you are just plain wrong. If Flap says he caught and released without a photo.... I have no problems believing him...none at all.
I`ve caught a few decent surf fish(30s)and have no pics and released all but one.... nothing unusual here.Not everyone ,whether in a tourney or not keep and kill all their fish....in fact I think many release.

Its good for the Striped Bass

Last edited by Skitterpop; 09-10-2006 at 03:26 PM..

Good health and family
Old 09-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #87
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 09-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #88
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
the argument is excess not the fact that he caught 2 gigantor fish.

it happens with everything, there is a fine line between being proud of something you have accomplished and looking like an arse from grabbing the jewels and bragging to much.

i don't know this guys style of fishing and this may be the first two fish he has kept all year. On paper, it looks like the later. Perhaps he didnt have a camera and no one would have believed him
Old 09-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #89
Jenn

Quote:

This is why if I ever catch a cow no one will know but those really close to me and the taxidermist! Yes you read that right I will hang a 50# or more and not bat an eyelash over it. Every fish I have ever kept (and no that number doesnt equal everyone I ever caught) has gone in the cooler, frugally filleted and consumed ...not wasted.

I feel everyone is in fact entitled to their own opinion. BUT if you fish (I assume everyone here fishes?) and even if you have never kept a single fish you ever caught..... you have most likely still killed fish and that certainly is a thought to be pondered. No one here can claim that every fish they released has survived as it would have if it was never caught at all. Did you get get bacteria on it? Did it suffer and die 3 months later because infection? Did it spread that infection to other fish? There is no way of knowing.

Simplify.......
Old 09-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #90
numbskull

Quote:
My fault, and I apologize. Actually I'm glad you posted it because it helps me to know there are big fish around (albeit 30 miles by water from where I fish). What I really was hoping to accomplish was to get one of you guys to release a near dead permanently brain damaged cow, so when it recovers I got some small chance at catching it on the wooden crap I'm throwing. By the way, does snagging count?
Closed Thread