Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Surfboard info wanted

Cleaning up a vintage surfboard I got for my 10th birthday. That would be in 1967.... Anyone point me in the right direction for info, value/etc? Longboard, glass, single skeg glassed in. Came from California. 9' 9" x 22" x3"

Please note the original date of this thread

Last edited by nightfighter; 02-04-2013 at 07:40 PM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
hooked

There was a shop in your town called Brickhouse but I think they closed this spring. You might still be able to connect with the owner through their website.

There are a couple shops in Hampton that might be able to help. Cinnamon Rainbows and Pioneer are the shops I'm familiar with.
hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Fishoholic

Do you know who shaped it? Also a picture and it's # would help
Fishoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
MakoMike

What's the label, Shaper etc. Some of the old Surfboards Hawaii board shaped by Donald Takaimaya have been bringing big bucks in the west coast auctions.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

A couple fast shots of it. I was just running out of the shop and took them. Will get better ones later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1013.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	40986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1014.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	40987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1015.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	40988  

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Wish I still had my first board. 9'0" Gordan & Smith, yellow on the bottom and up over the rails. Clear on top. Adjustable skeg.

I don't recognize the name/brand from the logo. I don't think its worth all that much.

I wish I never parted with mine. Nor the last one for that matter.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Check out this site, you might find a (better) match for the logo:

Stanley's Surfboard Logo Library A to Z
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	40996  

Last edited by PRBuzz; 08-11-2010 at 07:14 PM..

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
MakoMike

If its a Dewey it might be worth a few bucks. Is the stringer signed by the shaper? I'm never getting rid of any of mine, unless I break it on a rock somewhere.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
rwilhelm

Nice board!!! Enjoy!!!
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
I was wondering if the board was for sale? I am making a canal bike and most people (i.e. BigFish) are putting a skateboard on the back for carrying the fish, however, I thought a surfboard might be more suitable to the size fish I plan on catching based on the reports/rumors of large fish traversing the canal this summer.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Been doing some research. It seems that Dewey Weber used that logo to identify boards that he would use himself. Hope that mine is one of them. Would be worth some dough if it is. The board is probably a Performer from around 1965. My biggest concern is that the fin is different from what most of these Performer boards had glassed in... Going to speak with his son in the next few days

Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Cleaning up a vintage surfboard I got for my 13th birthday. That would be in 1970.... Anyone point me in the right direction for info, value/etc? Longboard, glass, single skeg glassed in. Came from California. 9' 9" x 22" x3"
Jeez 9'9" in "70". I was using a 6'10" Sunshine board then

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

But you were/are older.... I was a skinny 13 yr old just getting into it. I would still need this aircraft carrier out there now! So you have any pics of yourself from the surfing days, Frank? That would be something we would all like to see!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Update. Found a picture of when I got the board. 1967..... I was surfing at ten years old!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
But you were/are older.... I was a skinny 13 yr old just getting into it. I would still need this aircraft carrier out there now! So you have any pics of yourself from the surfing days, Frank? That would be something we would all like to see!

Ya got that right Ross. I wake up from dreams riding that board still. You should keep it. There was a Dewey Webber shop in Eastham years ago. Cant remember the guy who owned it. Remember what he looked like though. It was also a small gas station on the righht just before the town hall. Two buddies of mine rode Dewey Webbers. Had a step deck and a concave bottom about the same length as the step deck. Could walk all day long on the nose. I am old enough to have met Bruce Brown when he was on tour showing the Endless Summer movie at small venues like a rented room at the VFW in Orleans one night. I think we paid two bucks to get in. Met Hobie Alter in his 64 Ford van that used to pull wheelies in at Ken's Surf Shop in North Eastham, right next door to Flemmings Donut Shop (which provided carbohydrated food on a grand scale), one day when he was on tour. I remember thinking that was really special back in the day. I might have a pic or two.

The guy I work for part time, his son is in charge of the professioanl surfing tour, AST ????, for the tour owners right now. His name is Bobby Shadley. He was just in charge of the womens tour, but he was doing so well with that they gave him a raise and a ton more responsibilty. Imagine being the guy in charge of the womens professional surfing tour???????

Last edited by Swimmer; 04-05-2011 at 11:41 AM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

The shop in Eastham was Jaspers he definitely sold Weber's. I hodie was the name of the Guy that owned it. Funny story he actually owns the copyright for the lifeguard board short design you see on every lifeguard everywhere. The surf shop was just a club house. I know people that are friends with him. I can find out if I can get some contact info for you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
The shop in Eastham was Jaspers he definitely sold Weber's. I hodie was the name of the Guy that owned it. Funny story he actually owns the copyright for the lifeguard board short design you see on every lifeguard everywhere. The surf shop was just a club house. I know people that are friends with him. I can find out if I can get some contact info for you.
Everybody thought he was a good guy, no doubt. Alaways standing out front in the middle of the parking lot. Curly black hair. It was a clubhouse. Jasper's, thanks for bringing more info to the story. Use to work at the Grist Mill Restauarnt when I was 14.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #18
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Update. Found a picture of when I got the board. 1967..... I was surfing at ten years old!

Ross I didn't read that right the first time. You've had the board since 1967. Thats pretty neat.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Eventually the store moved over to the fish shack that was in the parking lot of the lobster pool my wife worked there from the time to 16 until it closed it has since reopened under another name. They still have the old timers competition every year. Real cast of characters. We try and make it a point to get down there for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Everybody thought he was a good guy, no doubt. Alaways standing out front in the middle of the parking lot. Curly black hair. It was a clubhouse. Jasper's, thanks for bringing more info to the story. Use to work at the Grist Mill Restauarnt when I was 14.

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #20
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

hmmmmmm.....

Hey Ross,
Cool board man. . . .It is a Weber but it’s not a Performer. To be honest, it looks like an pig shape of the early 60’s, probably 62 or 63. Not sure if that makes sense or not. It’s probably worth $1000 - $1200 as is. You could probably get it cleaned up for about $200 and that would certainly bring the value up. Let me know what else you need.
Shea
Shea Weber, CEO/President
Dewey Weber International, Inc.
1321-P Calle Valle
San Clemente, CA. 92672

Dayem.... Now to figure out what to do next....

Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #21
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Ok two options
1) relieve your teenage days and get out there with it
2) take it on that show "Pawn Stars" and see what they'll give you for it.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Hey Rosco, nice stick!

I knew it was a Weber from the logo but figured it pre-dated the Performer - I got a 9'6" Performer noserider as a high school graduation gift from my folks in '67. 23" wide - which would cramp your groin muscles just sitting on it but you never missed a wave and could spend all day on the nose. I even ended up naming one of my goldens 'Dewey' too

Wish I hadn't traded it in... -

I figure Shea from Weber is probably the late Dewey Weber's son - his dad Dewey was called "The Little Man on Wheels", great noserider.

Definitely keep it if you can - for yourself and your kids too, if they're interested at all in surfing. This year will be my 47th in the surf...

I still have 2 boards left, my favorite is an 8'2" Nectar noserider. You know, you might be surprised how far back in age a day in the surf will take you...

In fact, here's a clip from '66 to show you just how far back that really is...

Of course, there's still folks rocking the longboards...and the bikinis look better than ever, too...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #23
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The birthday...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	surf bday 1967.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	46153  

Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #24
striperman36
Old Guy

where's the prince of the neck?
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I had the board appraised this past summer, so tomorrow it goes to Twin Lights Glassing in Gloucester for some restoration before I part company with it.....
Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #26
PaulS

Did they have glass back in 67

Can't wait to see a picture after it is done.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #27
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Ross, I enjoyed following your posts on the story. I just read some more of them. I will look and see if any pics from those days are in with the pics my mother gave me for safe-keeping. I looked completely different then, minus about 100#'s. Forgive me for thinking and saying I didn't think it was worth that much. I don't mind being wrong. I do mind being wrong though when my wife is correcting me.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Frank, if I had known what I had, it would have been stored a little bit more carefully. Despite Shea Weber's estimate, the appraisal, and the high prices being asked on CL and elsewhere for Weber boards, it is only worth what someone will eventually pay. We'll see. A granite counter for the kitchen would be worth more to me now than this would be as a wall hanger. Just need to have the right collector be made aware that it is available.... But it is pretty cool that Dewey Weber himself rode this board in all likelihood.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #29
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Frank, if I had known what I had, it would have been stored a little bit more carefully. Despite Shea Weber's estimate, the appraisal, and the high prices being asked on CL and elsewhere for Weber boards, it is only worth what someone will eventually pay. We'll see. A granite counter for the kitchen would be worth more to me now than this would be as a wall hanger. Just need to have the right collector be made aware that it is available.... But it is pretty cool that Dewey Weber himself rode this board in all likelihood.

It is really neat that he rode the board. They were so plain and rudimentary then compared to the fancy stuff now, see grip decks and what not. God I wish I had the bungy cord around my ankle, but then again I wouldn't have learned how to swim so good.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA