Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 10-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Sunday Morning Plug Talk Thread!

I am headed out to my shop to mill some wood for my winter turning! I will be milling wood for my "Beastmaster" pikie! Gonna turn on WZLX and Blues on Sunday and make some sawdust! What are you going to be working on this winter?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I am headed out to my shop to mill some wood for my winter turning! I will be milling wood for my "Beastmaster" pikie! Gonna turn on WZLX and Blues on Sunday and make some sawdust! What are you going to be working on this winter?
This past Spring I reverse engineered a Habs Needle (large and small) and a Habs Night-n-Gale. I made one of the large exactly like a Habs large. It worked great. I'm gonna do a bunch of each this winter.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
pbadad

Stubbys, Wadds style and my slim and super slim Pikes. Have the stubbys turned and sealed. Some are for skinning w/groove and rest w/eyes. Doing wadds style needles in walnut and stubbys in birch. Pikes Are AYC. I had a order of birch misinterpreted and had 4 8' 5/4 lengths sent. I wanted 1 to share. It's premium birch which is 5/4 in 8' lengths, approx 7" wide in shop. Will mill to your diameter in squared lengths either 1' or 4' lengths. Full board 7" X 8' length approx 70.00.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I will post a few pics later to kick this thread up a bit and I encourage others to do the same!! Lets have fun with it!

Old 10-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Here are a few pics of the "Beastmaster" during build and completed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03452.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	63506   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03471.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	63507   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4900.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	63508  

Old 10-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
pbadad

You've been "busy". Looking good. Like the round nose.

Billy D.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:44 AM   #7
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I'm still fishing.

At some point this winter I need to build some 1.5 oz pencil poppers as I threw my last white one away (along with my elbow) trying to reach 12" fish and I'm left using ones in colors I never should have painted (like flo green or redhead/yellow body). DUMB.

Time to try and build some magic swimmer swimbait stuff, since watching he who shall not be named outfish my plugs 6:1 is soul crushing.

Need to build some more small scale stuff to better match the fish we'll be fishing on the next few years.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

George....curious to know how you found the fishing this season? I had a dismal season in the salt but I am curious how you found the quantity and the quality (size) of the fish this season or lack there of?

Old 10-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
George....curious to know how you found the fishing this season? I had a dismal season in the salt but I am curious how you found the quantity and the quality (size) of the fish this season or lack there of?
The spring was slow for me but the early-mid summer good (even though I managed to lose most of the real large fish I hooked).
The fall has been disappointing so far. Plenty of tiny fish but finding anything of quality (say 20# plus) has been a lot of work.........meaning that I have to take out Paul just to see one.

On the other hand I had great black sea bass fishing, caught some cod, albies, and a solitary bonito (that hit a butterfly jig in 117 ft of water, go figure). I fished in some manner (often just for schoolies) almost every day and weather was good so I'm not complaining.

Last edited by numbskull; 10-31-2016 at 05:46 PM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #10
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I have some small needles on the lathe now, DZ gave me one from his late buddy zekes stash, it's a little bigger than an a pocket rocket but has belly hook.

Got 18 9.5" pencils sealed up and ready for primer/paint this week
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
BFThunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
I have some small needles on the lathe now, DZ gave me one from his late buddy zekes stash, it's a little bigger than an a pocket rocket but has belly hook.

Got 18 9.5" pencils sealed up and ready for primer/paint this week

That sounds promising. I threw the SS show special needle for awhile but per usual it sinks too fast for me.
BFThunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
JLH

I had a great time fishing metal lips this season so I'll be making more of those in a variety of styles. Deep diving, sub surface and surface swimmers all produced well for me this year. I also want to make some more 9" needles in heavy and light versions as they also produced some good fish for me.

Not really sure I'll have a lot of time to experiment with new designs this year but if I do I may try a large or smaller metal lip and maybe a jointed swimmer or some kind. I've made a bunch of prototype jointed swimmers and some swim nicely but I haven't really fished or worked on trying to duplicate any of them.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #13
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Topwater take......or a metal lip rip?? Which one is your favorite way to catch? Its a tough call for me as I love the topwater action, the visual of the hit and the thrashing......however I must say I love the moment when I am working my metal lip swimmer, feeling it thrum as I retrieve and the line just goes tight and the rod bends!!!! Thats my choice!

Old 11-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #14
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Topwater take......or a metal lip rip?? Which one is your favorite way to catch? Its a tough call for me as I love the topwater action, the visual of the hit and the thrashing......however I must say I love the moment when I am working my metal lip swimmer, feeling it thrum as I retrieve and the line just goes tight and the rod bends!!!! Thats my choice!
My sentiments exactly Larry. I not going to be able to build while away this winter so I'm turning as much as I can now and will finish when we get back next Spring.
I am sooooo addicted to needles, I'm hardly turning anything else. But I will turn a couple dozen metal lip swimmers.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #15
the greek

Got around to doing some handcarveds which is something I haven't done in quite some time. The small blue over silver is actually silver leafed. These little guys are probably my most productive plug over the years.

I have a few more in the works both some Ive done before and have been decent fish catchers especially the redfin copy. The other is loosely based on a Maverick.

I have also moved to liking a lighter smaller pencil which more suits my needs. These will be totally sealed with a couple canal style and the rest full round. The white one in the middle of the pic is a resin pencil I have been messing around with. I really like the plug and it casts and fishes extremely well. I pour these with the weight in place then pull the rod I pour them on leaving the through hole done and weight in place. While I really like the resin stuff its just too much time for me right now.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is doing.
the greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #16
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by the greek View Post
Got around to doing some handcarveds which is something I haven't done in quite some time. The small blue over silver is actually silver leafed. These little guys are probably my most productive plug over the years.

I have a few more in the works both some Ive done before and have been decent fish catchers especially the redfin copy. The other is loosely based on a Maverick.

I have also moved to liking a lighter smaller pencil which more suits my needs. These will be totally sealed with a couple canal style and the rest full round. The white one in the middle of the pic is a resin pencil I have been messing around with. I really like the plug and it casts and fishes extremely well. I pour these with the weight in place then pull the rod I pour them on leaving the through hole done and weight in place. While I really like the resin stuff its just too much time for me right now.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is doing.
Awesome stuff. What kind of resin are you using for the popper?

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #17
pbadad

Exciting for sure surface takes. Since I don't have much chance to fish top water, dead sticking darters in anticipation of a strike at the end of sweep is my hot button. Don't get me wrong having continuous fish hitting a popper amongst a blitz whether easy or not is a blast. Today I'll be out of the dungeon. Blow leaves, then to my neighbor's to mill birch. I'll have more 5/4 cut and planed if anyone needs some. My next spin is wadd style needles. Birch for sinkers and AYC for surface cruisers. I finish a couple mahogany needles which weigh is a 1/2oz heavier than birch. Finished natural w/system 3.

Billy D.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #18
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Pretty much got all my stock cut up for the upcoming season. I do it at work as I don't have a band saw and work has a nice one so up till now no need but I am finally wanting to get one so I can do more fixtures and leave set up, as I can't leave stuff set up at work. so I am looking for one. I have gotten some things turned so far, needles, 2 size darters, eelskin Conrad Jr.'s. Dannies and my large darter are next. I will also be trying to finish up some promised plugs from years past, sorry to whom I have strung along, and some very small runs of stuff I always wanted to try like the Kuzia Hippo. Next step is to start thru drilling at work what I have turned so far. Lots of enthusiasm right now but by the time March comes I will be struggling to finish half of what I intended.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plugs 2016 289.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	63531   Click image for larger version

Name:	plugs 2016 286.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	63532   Click image for larger version

Name:	plugs 2016 287.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	63533  

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I am also going to make a new spray box with a new, old, fan.

A pic of the Kuzia Hippo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plugs 2016 290.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	63534   Click image for larger version

Name:	plugs 2016 291.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	63535  

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 11-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #20
Ian
Idiot

While not wood, my foray into making my own plugs this winter will be casting resin using silicone molds.

Finally got my first mold done last night and had some issues with the release agent so now the 2 part mold is a 1 part mold... shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to start by using some existing plugs I have which are near impossible to get my hands on anymore and if I like the finished product, move into making my own to cast.

If I get in front of a computer tonight I'll post some pictures.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #21
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Posting for my Son Bradley.
He has been carving some plugs out of sticks but now thanks to Chris blondeterror he has some more appropriate materials to work with.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #22
Ian
Idiot

Is that last one the plug he made next to the stick he made it from?
Old 11-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #23
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Yes exactly
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #24
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Yes exactly
That's awesome, kid has some talent

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #25
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Been working on some big pencils.

I call em jumping pencils, they work really easy and you can make em jump and skip if you work em quick

9.5" and 3.75-4oz, using 4/0 4x vmc hooks and two .57oz tail weights. They sit almost vertical in the water.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #26
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Hoping to get em sanded and primed by the weekend

Got a few odds and ends I'm finishing up, some assorted atom jrs, 3oz pichney darter clone, small pencils, needles and metal lips. Only a handful of each. Hoping to finish them all up before I start the lathe up again.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #27
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Pichney clone. My fav.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #28
pbadad

Chris that's a whopper of a pencil. Being so long I wonder on the catch rate with the belly hook location. Have you fished and caught on this version? Realizing the back half is in the water and tail hook in the zone just wonder how often the head strikes get a solid hook up. How's it cast?

Billy D.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #29
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Chris that's a whopper of a pencil. Being so long I wonder on the catch rate with the belly hook location. Have you fished and caught on this version? Realizing the back half is in the water and tail hook in the zone just wonder how often the head strikes get a solid hook up. How's it cast?

Yeah built a bunch in 2009/10 and did really well on em, when the plug is swimming back in the belly hook stays under water and most of the fish get a clean hook up on it.

One of the first days I was testing them back then was off fort Adams throwing into 20 feet of water and had fish launching out from the deep for it, was pretty cool in clear water.

I did well with them back then and didn't have left, got an original from the old baker i use to work with.

They cast really far and don't wiggle on the cast.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
Old 11-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #30
pbadad

Interesting how the fish view pencils from the deep. It must piss them off to charge from the bottom to strike. I see with the body vertical at rest and action maintaining the lower half in the water so the head is not moving forward in a way to strike the nose. I notice that the smaller styles like Gibbs the hook is closer to nose and assume a frontal take since they seem to work the action across the body angle with more of the nose in water. I often thought the same on big needles with 1 belly hook i.e. Habs 9" . If fish strikes front it needs to swallow half the plug to hook up. Nonetheless they work and catch. Another note, I like to do a couple Donnys for myself. Where would I find some dimension specs?

Billy D.