Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

This is Racism

can you imagine if this was a purely white station? Oh wait, we dont have purely white stations!

Thoughts? To me, this is 100% racist. Covering news based on the color of someone's skin. I guess they dont believe African American's need to hear both sides? Know it or not, the Arfican American media and church is doing everything in its power to stop Obama from becoming president. Maybe because it will put them out of business?

NEW YORK (AP) -- TV One, the cable network aimed at African-American viewers, will cover Barack Obama's nominating convention but is ignoring John McCain's.

TV One will provide coverage of Barack Obama's nominating convention August 25-28.

The network is telecasting live, prime-time coverage of the Democratic convention in Denver August 25-28, followed by "TV One Live: DNC Afterparty," with political and social commentary from panelists.

TV One is available in 43.7 million households, or about 40 percent of the nation's TV homes.

Obama's nomination as the first black to be a major party presidential nominee is an historic event for African-Americans, so it's important for the network to be there, said Johnathan Rodgers, the network's president and CEO.

"While viewers can get coverage of the convention from any number of networks, we plan to cover the convention from a uniquely African American perspective," he said.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
can you imagine if this was a purely white station? Oh wait, we dont have purely white stations!
OLN.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
spence

It's not racist, and unless they're taking public funding I don't have a problem with it, assuming it's not in violation of some "equal time" provision for non-public media.

By covering Obama only, they're not implying that he's superior to McCain because of his color, or that they even hate John McCain because he's white.

It's a matter of interest and perhaps more importantly, market analysis.

-spence
Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

the reason they are not covering McCain?
becasue he is white.

Decisions based on the color of skin - racism.
My interpretation of this? Obama is black americas candidate, McCain is white americas, if McCain wins - it will be the whites who won. More bitterness, more division but yet NONE of it will be due to any actions by white people, yet they'll be blamed.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

That makes Lifetime Network Sexist

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
That makes Lifetime Network Sexist
only if it chose to only air the Hillary Clinton nomination

Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
OLN.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
only if it chose to only air the Hillary Clinton nomination
But it bills itself as "Television...for Women"

Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
But it bills itself as "Television...for Women"
exactly - so women should only vote for another women? African Americans should only vote for another African American?

Americans vote for a president, and that president serves all americans regardless of religion, race, gender. What does the color of his skin have to do with it?

Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
Decisions based on the color of skin - racism.
So when a black woman walks up to the cosmetics counter and they pull out the tray of brown makeup they're being racist? That's silly.

There really has to be a negative connotation for it to be racist, it's not so literal.

In this specific case the network isn't implying anything negative about McCain, but rather that Obama's candidacy is quite historic and of special interest to a certain community.

Quote:
My interpretation of this? Obama is black americas candidate, McCain is white americas, if McCain wins - it will be the whites who won. More bitterness, more division but yet NONE of it will be due to any actions by white people, yet they'll be blamed.
Obama has a lot of white support and many independent voters (I'm obviously not including people like Buttman or whatever his name is) don't give a whip about his color. Sure you'll get the camera darlings claiming it was a con job, but the simple fact that Obama was running for president will do more to lessen divisions than anything else.

You're engaging in "Limbaugh Thought." Try to predict the worst in people so when it happens, no matter how small the sample, you can claim you were right all along.

You know, I really don't understand all this white uproar over a black double standard. Guess what?

There is a double standard!!!

One hundred and forty five years ago this country still had black people as slaves. Up until the 1960's we still had segregation in this country!

Granted, it's on a spectrum and we're heading in the right direction as is evident by the Obama campaign. But this whole "what if a white person said that" mantra is simply not reality.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 07-09-2008 at 03:34 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You're engaging in "Limbaugh Thought." Try to predict the worst in people so when it happens, no matter how small the sample, you can claim you were right all along.

-spence
Im engaging in RIJimmy thought and by the way...remember OJ Simpson?

Old 07-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
It's not racist, and unless they're taking public funding I don't have a problem with it, assuming it's not in violation of some "equal time" provision for non-public media.

By covering Obama only, they're not implying that he's superior to McCain because of his color, or that they even hate John McCain because he's white.

It's a matter of interest and perhaps more importantly, market analysis.

-spence
The most logical post on this thread
Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
There really has to be a negative connotation for it to be racist, it's not so literal.
Not necassarily, I think if you have preconceived ideas about someone based on the color of their skin you are being racist.

Once you put a negative connotation with it then you are being a racial bigot.

I joke around about the sexist thing the same way, if someone assumes that my wife does something because she's the woman I always call them on it...

Say you go to a cookout at a new neighbors house.....The neighbor's wife comes up to you and says "Tell your wife that the Souffle she made was just divine"

And you say "Well, actually I made it" and she says "Really...I just assumed...."

Isn't that her being sexist, she assumed that it was the woman that did the cooking.....and I'd bet you'd be a little put off about it....even though she didn't mean anything by it.

just food for thought....plus I'm bored

Old 07-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

i agree DF

I bet Spence's neighbors never doubt who made the souffle!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
EarnedStripes44

If Obama is elected, it will be the first time that a majority "white" country has elected a "minority" president. You should not be afraid, for this will illuminate to the world america's capacity to truly reinvent itself as a pioneering democracy as she has done time and time again. You pubes should not worry, the world will not end, regardless of who is elected, but Obama is more qualified than McCain even if they are both liars & flip floppers. McCain is a bellicose thug compared to Obama. War should be fought as a last resort. The best winning strategy over adversaries when approaching war is to achieve victory before blood is spilled.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #16
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

even so, it's still not racist to only cover Obama's campaign, it's a black station for cryin' out loud!

By that token, you're saying that the whole station is racist to begin with (as others have said). Why doesn't BET play country music??? Why doesn't lifetime play Segal movies?? Are they are prejudice too? I mean really, are you sitting there watching TV One, pissed off because you want to get the African American community's take on McCain?
Old 07-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #17
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Not necassarily, I think if you have preconceived ideas about someone based on the color of their skin you are being racist.

Once you put a negative connotation with it then you are being a racial bigot.

I joke around about the sexist thing the same way, if someone assumes that my wife does something because she's the woman I always call them on it...

Say you go to a cookout at a new neighbors house.....The neighbor's wife comes up to you and says "Tell your wife that the Souffle she made was just divine"

And you say "Well, actually I made it" and she says "Really...I just assumed...."

Isn't that her being sexist, she assumed that it was the woman that did the cooking.....and I'd bet you'd be a little put off about it....even though she didn't mean anything by it.

just food for thought....plus I'm bored
Racism concerns superiority vs. inferiority sentiment filtered through the looking glass of power (social power, economic power, etc.). I think what you mean here is prejudiced. Prejudice involves the preconceived notions regardless of power structure or social arrangements. To say "I just dont like him because he is black" could be construed as prejudices, but to call someone a n***** would be racist. The two may seem like they are the same, but I assure you there are different implications with the two scenarios.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
Racism concerns superiority vs. inferiority sentiment filtered through the looking glass of power (social power, economic power, etc.). I think what you mean here is prejudiced. Prejudice involves the preconceived notions regardless of power structure or social arrangements. To say "I just dont like him because he is black" could be construed as prejudices, but to call someone a n***** would be racist. The two may seem like they are the same, but I assure you there are different implications with the two scenarios.
I was going to make a similar statement regarding prejudice, the key being that the TDF souffle scenario would be more sexist if the offending person really believed that woman were better cooks simply because men can't cook. This is different that making the same statement because they assumed the woman typically did the cooking.

But remember, this all falls on a spectrum, there are few absolutes.

-spence
Old 07-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
FishermanTim

My main and ONLY concern with either candidate is how they stand on the IMPORTANT issues and that they have the experience to run our country.
Would you want a fresh-out-of-med school surgeon performing your open-heart surgery, or an experienced surgeon with years of knowledge? Would you bring your boat to a mechanic that just finished trade school, or one that has worked on boats for years?

It shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with race, but this years' election is going to be one heck of a circus (no angry PM's from the peanut gallery) and it all started during the primaries.

As I've told my friends, relatives and co-workers: I don't care who are president is, as long as they have experience in politics, and have some level of intergity. I want a president we can be proud of, not an embarrassment who doesn't know his left from right, or can't keep his willie in his trousers.

All I can hope for is that whomever wins, will not sell the country out from under us. Amen.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #20
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
BET Black Entertainment Television

If we had a WET White Entertainment Television there would be such an uprising about it......but its ok if there is a BET???

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #21
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post

If we had a WET White Entertainment Television there would be such an uprising about it......but its ok if there is a BET???

..gots to agree. WET would be hailed a rascist network.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
All I can hope for is that whomever wins, will not sell the country out from under us. Amen.
I'm afraid to say that that's already happened, and the party of the seller really hasn't mattered.

-spence
Old 07-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post

Your question is moot.

Up until the 1960's, black people couldn't use the same drinking fountain, attend the same schools or even ride in the front of the same bus...and now...just 40 years later you're offended they have their own cable TV network?

-spence
Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #24
EarnedStripes44

I guess you dont much like the spanish channel either. Sabado Gigante was a great show
Old 07-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #25
Nebe

Quote:
Would you want a fresh-out-of-med school surgeon performing your open-heart surgery, or an experienced surgeon with years of knowledge? Would you bring your boat to a mechanic that just finished trade school, or one that has worked on boats for years?
well, since you asked... personally, in today's world, i would want a younger surgeon if i had open heart surgery or brain surgery and a younger mechanic working on my brand new engine.. you cant teach a new dog old tricks, and I cant see who an 80 year old Dr. is going to know all of the latest procedures, nor could I see an old phart mechanic diagnosing my '09 evinrude e-tech's modern fuel injection system. Ask Zac about his old mechanic....

The times are changing and I would rather see a fresh presence in the white house who is shouting at the top of his lungs that the system is almost broken and needs attention.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #26
spence

A good example Nebe, although it cuts both ways.

A younger doctor may be more apt to suggest new and innovative methods.

An older doctor may be more likely to stay a path that's tried and true.

A middle road may be the best...new doesn't always mean better.

That being said, while I don't agree with Obama on many things, he's not going to destroy America. This country has weathered multiple styles of leadership quite well, even GWB.

-spence
Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #27
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Your question is moot.

Up until the 1960's, black people couldn't use the same drinking fountain, attend the same schools or even ride in the front of the same bus...and now...just 40 years later you're offended they have their own cable TV network?

-spence
spence- we're talking today- '2008. he did'nt say he was offended by BET, just stated that some people would be offended by a WET...

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 07-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #28
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
spence- we're talking today- '2008. he did'nt say he was offended by BET, just stated that some people would be offended by a WET...
And my point was that their offense was moot.

-spence
Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #29
BlackBeard

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pier.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	28189  

"Anything can be fixed with duct tape and WD40..."
Old 07-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #30
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
My main and ONLY concern with either candidate is how they stand on the IMPORTANT issues and that they have the experience to run our country.
And Bush did?
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Ski Quicks Hole