Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
RI Popper
Fish "one of God's gifts to us"

Send a message via AIM to RI Popper Send a message via Yahoo to RI Popper
Incident at Stellwagon with Kayman Too

I would like to share with everyone that in my opinion the matter is now settled. Captain Kevin of the KayamanToo has called and apologized to me and my friends for the actions of himself and his clients. Capt Twombly has also posted an open apology on his web page. It was a very unfortunate experience for everyone.

The in 2006 in the United States of America racism of any sort should not be tolerated. The comments of a racist nature did not come from Capt Twombly but from a very sick minded client on his boat. Capt Twombly recognizes that bringing them that close was wrong and inflamatory to the situation and assured me that behavior will no longer be tolerated on his vessel. I thank him for being a man and stepping up to the plate as far as I am concerned.

It is a big ocean and many, many boats fish the same areas of Stellwagon bank. This has been the norm for a long time and these types of confrentations, while rare, do happen. Unfortunately it was handled wrong this time and people were mistreated. Comments have been strewn toward me that Rhode Islanders should not take "our fish". and that "recreational fisherman are just a pain in the ass to real captains". That is WRONG. We shouldn't turn it into the Un-United States of America or pit one group against another. Enough said,

sincerely,

Armand

"Fish, just one of God's gifts to us."
Old 03-15-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Excellent, settled like men!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
fishaholic18
Finally

I'm glad to hear that.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 03-15-2006, 11:23 PM   #4
Sleepster

Incident

I'm a new member today and happy to make this my first post! Glad to see this was cleaned up!

Sleepster
Old 03-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #5
Squid kids Dad

Great news...

I'm going where I'm going...
Old 03-16-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
Duke41
got gas?

They must have got a call from the Coast Guard.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
JohnR

OK - now that this is resolved - I think everyone can move on...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-16-2006, 07:10 AM   #8
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

sorry to pull your plug in your stern on this one John,,but getting down to the first common rule of the open ocean is stay WELL away from other's that are allready set up on drift....50 yrd's is considered in your pocket..not acceptable by any mean's...it's only telling the new boaters that roam the internet that's it's ok to crowd someone that's already fishing...there's no need it....I don't care who are or what you are.....it's wrong period.

BOAT fish do count.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:28 AM   #9
"uffah!!"

Incident at Stellwagon

I agree with Capesams. Just check out the picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KAYMANTOO3.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	14631  
Old 03-16-2006, 07:35 AM   #10
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by capesams
sorry to pull your plug in your stern on this one John,,but getting down to the first common rule of the open ocean is stay WELL away from other's that are allready set up on drift....50 yrd's is considered in your pocket..not acceptable by any mean's...it's only telling the new boaters that roam the internet that's it's ok to crowd someone that's already fishing...there's no need it....I don't care who are or what you are.....it's wrong period.
Yes I understand that, and with a little luck this issue might lead to some talks on what is acceptable and what is not. One reason not to further fan the flames. Have the discussion like adults and see where it leads...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #11
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

Send a message via AIM to mrmacey
In The US Navy

That boat would have been blown out the water for coming that close I feel if the Captain brought his craft alongside Like that so Charter people could throw things on the other boat I would have considered that Hostile towards me and I dont know boats and Captains like some of you do but I might of have to defend myself and people I have on my boat from Harm I would have been scared $@#! and made them back off !!!!! it could have escalated into a nightmare out there for everyone involved Im just voicing my opinion when I seen that pic I have heard all kinds of strange stories about defending livelyhood and such but I dont care about drifts or any of that BULL dont put each other in harms way you never know if you throw a fish at me what the hell I might Launch back at you!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #12
PNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Popper
I would like to share with everyone that in my opinion the matter is now settled. Captain Kevin of the KayamanToo has called and apologized to me and my friends for the actions of himself and his clients. Capt Twombly has also posted an open apology on his web page. It was a very unfortunate experience for everyone.

The in 2006 in the United States of America racism of any sort should not be tolerated. The comments of a racist nature did not come from Capt Twombly but from a very sick minded client on his boat. Capt Twombly recognizes that bringing them that close was wrong and inflamatory to the situation and assured me that behavior will no longer be tolerated on his vessel. I thank him for being a man and stepping up to the plate as far as I am concerned.

It is a big ocean and many, many boats fish the same areas of Stellwagon bank. This has been the norm for a long time and these types of confrentations, while rare, do happen. Unfortunately it was handled wrong this time and people were mistreated. Comments have been strewn toward me that Rhode Islanders should not take "our fish". and that "recreational fisherman are just a pain in the ass to real captains". That is WRONG. We shouldn't turn it into the Un-United States of America or pit one group against another. Enough said,

sincerely,

Armand

Still havent heard any culpability out of you for jumping in this guys back pocket, always his fault. While the racial epithets are wrong you never would have heard any of it if you kept your distance. Its a big ocean, find your own fish and bringing it to the internet is childish at best.
I feel bad that you put JohnR through this, wrong, wrong, wrong
Old 03-16-2006, 08:20 AM   #13
Raven

Arrow you could have

marked the spot with GPS
and returned at some other time

when there was no one there...

like later that day...on your way back.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:37 AM   #14
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffah!!
I agree fully with Capesams and uffah, way, WAY too close no matter what happened prior. If someone gets that close to me especially on an intercept course like that I'd be really pissed.

Several times in Narragansett Bay I've had boats come so close I could reach out with a surf stick and poke them. Simply ridiculous. Needless to say they got an earful about respect and safety on the water.

Like I said in the other thread, just respect each other. If you even think you're too close to another boat, you are and probably were 50 yards ago.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #15
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by capesams
Maybe you could explain that to the various charter captains that regularly set up 35 to 50 yds from me, sometimes less, often following my EXACT drift.

BTW, when it happens I have no animosity, I just figured that that's the way it is. But the reality is nothing like what you think is acceptable.

Best regards,
Roger
Old 03-16-2006, 08:48 AM   #16
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Just glad it was handled in the end in a mature respectful manner...
nothing more to see here, moving on...

Used hard and put away dirty....
Old 03-16-2006, 08:51 AM   #17
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
well here is one thing he has to change!! Should not allow at all!! This is from his site:

Policies
We allow light alcohol consumption in moderation. We DO NOT allow hard alcohol or excessive
drinking.
We are a zero tolerance boat. No drugs are allowed aboard the Kayman Too!!

The Captain runs a safe vessel, thousand of dollars have recently been spent on safety gear above coast guard requirements.

But you can drink??

Capt Twombly has also posted an open apology on his web page.
?? Can't find it there no were??

I am sure there is enough blame to go around to both party's!! But the bulk is on Kayman.
Well now that this is over, was there any good fish there?? or is all this fighting over no fish?? What are the numbers??

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
Old 03-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #18
RI Popper

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffah!!
whoever you are uffah, that is the picture of the "Kayman Too" after he jumped right up to my bow close enough to rub paints. Try atleast 150 feet away. which was where I was and had many many boats through the years come that proximity to me including that day I had an 80 head boat shadow me for about an hour close enough to cast too. It's the way things are done out there. But you guys will never understand it.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:05 AM   #19
RI Popper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNG
Still havent heard any culpability out of you for jumping in this guys back pocket, always his fault. While the racial epithets are wrong you never would have heard any of it if you kept your distance. Its a big ocean, find your own fish and bringing it to the internet is childish at best.
I feel bad that you put JohnR through this, wrong, wrong, wrong

well you should work in a kitchen the way you try to stirr pots. . I have had years of very good report with people out there and I did stay Side drift he changed his to come to me. You obviously have alterior motives along with a few others. I have had several year long cod tournaments won on my boat by my friends fishing with me. I know what I'm doing and know enough not to impeed another vessel. From this point on you deserve no further comments. Good luck John with some of these trouble makers.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #20
JohnR

Guys - precisely where I did not want this to go, another peeing contest.

The incident could had have all been handled better at almost all different kind of levels, but it didn't. But most of it has been resolved, at least directly in this case and with the parties involved. How often does that happen? Who knows, there may be some additional good to come out of this in the future. Maybe there will be more respect on the water of ALL user groups (one can hope). Maybe there will be some dialogue on how close boats should get. So we can continue to kick this can around to see if it still screams, or we can step back, maybe learn a little something, and move forward.

It doesn't upset me that good discussion can come out of this, it doesn't put me through the ringer. PNG, I ASKED Armand to put his two cents in on this after the thread was started. I wanted to hear more so we could make an informed opinion.

Armand, for you, PNG might be a pot stirrer, but I know him a little and yes, he does wave the large spoon around in the big kettle from time to time but he also did some serious CG time and has a perspective on this stuff that you and I will never have. And he is (usually) a decent egg...

Uffa just plain likes to start crap

So, that this does not further spiral into mud slinging, now I need to close this one...

Thanks,

John

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-16-2006, 09:27 AM   #21
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
Its amazing that the 3 fishing community's can't and won't ever get along!!
Commercials say they own the water, yet they are to blame for most of the depletion of fish, with there dragging and over fishing.

Charters, thinking that they own the numbers so they own the water so they can make a living.
Sure they found the fish and have there numbers, but there is no sign, 25 miles off shore that say Maco's place keep out!! They did not pay for the spot, pay taxes on it, maintain it in some way.

Then the recreational, they spend tons of cash for 1 or 2 days a week for 3 months of the year if they are lucky, Just to be told that you can only catch 7 fish today or 2 fish today cause the others need to make their money.
Then if you try to fish near someone you are told to F off.

I am a commercial/recreational fisherman, I never even painted a name on my boat, cause I try to maintain a low profile. When you get seen out there day after day they know you must no your stuff and you always have someone ride up on you and start fishing!
Some times they catch and sometimes they don't cause they just don't know what they are doing in the first place!

If my spot is getting to crowed I just move to the next cause as a guy thats out there every day I have other spots to go to!
That said I have more then once had to push a boat that has gotten to close to me and almost hit me. I just tell the guy to pay more attention and push him off.

There is more then anough water and fish for all!! No one owns the water!! We just need to all get along, and help each other out!!

If we put as much engery in to conservation of all fish types and worked toghter as we do fighting each other, there would be so many fish out there that the be jumping in the boat on there own!!

So lets all kiss and Hug and wish a great up comming season to all!!

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
Old 03-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #22
JohnR

Good post MJ (but I still don't want to kiss and hug you)...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Closed Thread