Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Finaddict

Appliance Questions

Okay - so most of you guys know far more about this stuff than I do, so I have a series of appliance issues and thought you guys might have some answers on steps.

Living in this home, I rent ... It's a nice place, but the owner has let most of the appliances fall into disrepair ...

* Gas stove/oven - Pilot light is on, but it takes for ever to light ... it's very unsettling ... I told the landlord that I would buy a new one and leave the old one on her back steps ... if the gas company gives it a thumbs down - I have to get them to come and check it - I will follow up on that ... from the little that I posted above, does it sound like this oven is a problem?

* Dishwasher - after the wash cycle - there are a few inches of water still at the bottom of the machine ... does not drain completely ... I don't want water hanging around getting stagnant ... is this an easy fix?

There are other issues, but I figure this is a good start. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Andy, the dishwasher check the drain hose it should go up from the bottom of the dishwasher to the top of the counter top in the same cabinet that the sink drain is in, this is called an "air gap" the drawing says with out an air gap but that is how you want it to look

The stove some have pilot adjustments, lift the top and look for the pilots there should be a silver aluminum tube going to each burner look for a screw a valve the valve will have a adjustment on it and it will be a slotted screw driver

hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish washer-drain-no-gap.gif
Views:	89
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	47515  

Last edited by tattoobob; 06-30-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
spence

Also make sure the intake filter isn't filled with crap. Washers tend to gunk up over time.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Finaddict

Thanks Bob and Spence ...

Bob ... when I attached the hose to the unit, it was at the top of the machine ... so I would imagine there is a plate or something on the back that runs to the bottom? ... as for the pilot .. I see the flame at the bottom in the back ... it's a really old machine, I will try to print out what you suggest, but wanted to make sure I was explaining it clearly ...

Spence ... would that filter be inside the machine?

Thanks

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You're renting, right....tell your landlord to fix it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
spence

Def agree with the stove, mess it up and the landlord could blame you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Finaddict

She refuses ... so I figured I'd get the gas company to condemn it, and then pull down the big hammer ... we have had serious conversations about ... her comment was to get a small convection oven ... the oven/stove is older than I am ... nonsense ... the challenge is that she can't hold down a job to fix the following items:

* Stove/oven
*dishwasher
* furnace, broke down many, many times last winter - had to sleep many nights with no heat, it was okay because the house was maintaining heat, but not comfortable in the mornings
*leaky roof
*leaky bathtub
*mice

Mice I am killing - but she has no money and I am getting pissed, it's a beautiful home on the outside - visibly

I guess i will look to move, but don't want to go through the trouble if I don't have to.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

If you are replacing appliances I would tell her the amount you spend is comming off the rent you pay

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
bostonharbor

Move.Things will not get better.
bostonharbor is offline   Reply With Quote