Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

China, Taiwan and Trump

Things seem to be shaking up in Southeast Asia.
How will Trump deal with this?
Will he decide to throw Taiwan under the bus, that they are not worth the potential cost and concede Taiwan to China?
Or will he come to their defense and continue support of Taiwan and our other allies in Asia?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Things seem to be shaking up in Southeast Asia.
How will Trump deal with this?
Will he decide to throw Taiwan under the bus, that they are not worth the potential cost and concede Taiwan to China?
Or will he come to their defense and continue support of Taiwan and our other allies in Asia?
Which of your two choices do you think he should do?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

I have the worldview that if we are to maintain our position in the world we need to assist others, and that closing ourselves off will do little but ensure our eventual demise.
Perhaps you could choose?
I did see this which reminded me of some discussions here.
One version of Buddhist hell posits a grand ballroom with tables holding bowls of delicious steaming rice. But the people in hell have three-foot chopsticks affixed as extensions of their arms, making eating impossible. Unable to feed themselves, they starve.

Heaven, according to this story, is the exact same place — but the people feed each other.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
I have the worldview that if we are to maintain our position in the world we need to assist others, and that closing ourselves off will do little but ensure our eventual demise.
Perhaps you could choose?
I did see this which reminded me of some discussions here.
One version of Buddhist hell posits a grand ballroom with tables holding bowls of delicious steaming rice. But the people in hell have three-foot chopsticks affixed as extensions of their arms, making eating impossible. Unable to feed themselves, they starve.

Heaven, according to this story, is the exact same place — but the people feed each other.
You are often very specific and definite in your criticism of Trump. Especially in not fudging when you repeat and repeat that he is a con artist. Some might accuse you of fudging an answer here. I won't do that. It appears to me that this is the way you typically answer a tough question. A personal characteristic of being super cautious.

It's not a trick question. It's not a trap or a gotcha. You brought up what you consider is a Trump dilemma re Taiwan vs China. If China tries to militarily take Taiwan, Which of the two choices you posed do you think Trump should do?

I'll make it easier for you, I'll tell you what I would do. I'm not influenced by your Buddhist parable. I see nothing in it to help since I don't think pacifism would stop China. And there is a big and frightful difference between merely assisting others, and going to war to protect them.

Push come to shove, I would go to war with China if it tried to forcefully take Taiwan. Of course that requires a lot of stuff besides gung ho lets dance. Warnings, getting alliances on board, Congress, etc., etc.

I'll ask you again. What do you think Trump should do?
Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

I thought this was a pretty clear answer
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
I thought this was a pretty clear answer
So you would assist China?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
So you would assist China?
Hardly, whatever would make you say that

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
Hardly, whatever would make you say that
You said "if we are to maintain our position in the world we need to assist others," . . . you claimed that was pretty clear.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You said "if we are to maintain our position in the world we need to assist others," . . . you claimed that was pretty clear.
Apparently you, like Trump, are confused about who our allies are.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
Apparently you, like Trump, are confused about who our allies are.
Apparently you are confused. I said that I would go to war with China if it tried to take Taiwan by force.

You started this thread with a question. "How will trump deal with this?" Then you posed two choices, "Will he decide to throw Taiwan under the bus, that they are not worth the potential cost and concede Taiwan to China?
Or will he come to their defense and continue support of Taiwan and our other allies in Asia?"

I asked which did you think he should do?

To which you replied: "I have the worldview that if we are to maintain our position in the world we need to assist others, and that closing ourselves off will do little but ensure our eventual demise."

Which seemed vague to me, not saying specifically what should be done to "assist others" nor mentioning anything about allies. But you did mention something about a Buddhist heaven or hell with steaming bowls of rice and three foot chopsticks and feeding each other. Which didn't clarify or specify what you thought Trump should do--maybe send Taiwan and China steaming bowls of rice, or choose some Buddhist path of non-violence to persuade China against its intentions?

You did ask me "Perhaps you could choose?" Which I specifically said I would go to war with China over the matter. Which I thought would make it easier for you to give a direct, blunt answer.

Cutting to the chase and through the vague suggestions, am I to assume that you think Trump should "assist" Taiwan by using military force in answer to China's use of force? Yes, No, or the usual Perhaps, or something different and really creative that Trump and his advisors are just to dumb to think of?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Yes

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #12
Cool Beans

WOW that was worse than getting a tooth pulled.....
Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #13
Cool Beans

I was also thinking what would happen if Russia tried to take Crimea..... would the US President do anything.???? Oh wait, that did happen and NOPE the President did Jack chits.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:10 PM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
I was also thinking what would happen if Russia tried to take Crimea..... would the US President do anything.???? Oh wait, that did happen and NOPE the President did Jack chits.
Not nearly as much BS as Guliani explaining that there was collusion but Trump didn’t know about it

Lets Go Darwin