Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #151
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The only reason Ukr. got the $ was bc people found out about the scam.
That is pure, unsubstantiated speculation.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #152
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Good joke, funny stuff, Ukraine didn’t want to and luckily wasn’t forced to announce the investigation in order to get their aid and meeting, because Trump and his BS bribery plot got outed by the whistle blower. Just because it didn’t work and he was forced to release the aid, doesn’t absolve him of abusing his power and then obstruction of congress.

Go drink some more cool aid, your getting low on facts and an argument that holds water.
Cool aid time!
🍻
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #153
detbuch

Quote:
Good joke, funny stuff, Ukraine didn’t want to and luckily wasn’t forced to announce the investigation in order to get their aid and meeting, because Trump and his BS bribery plot got outed by the whistle blower. Just because it didn’t work and he was forced to release the aid, doesn’t absolve him of abusing his power and then obstruction of congress.

Go drink some more cool aid, your getting low on facts and an argument that holds water.
I stated facts. You speculate. Impeachment should be based on fact, not speculation.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #154
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The fact is and almost every criminal prosecutor would agree, because the criminal effort was foiled before it was successfully completed, doesn’t mean no crime was committed. Keep spinning, you must be getting dizzy by now
Old 01-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #155
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
but it fits the narrative.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #156
Jim in CT

Quote:
The denials are also funny��
is it funny when the left denies there’s any evidence that the Biden’s were engaged in fishy stuff there? Or is it only funny when the right makes denials of that which makes them look bad?

a little consistency would go a long way...
Old 01-29-2020, 08:41 AM   #157
detbuch

Quote:
The fact is and almost every criminal prosecutor would agree, because the criminal effort was foiled before it was successfully completed, doesn’t mean no crime was committed. Keep spinning, you must be getting dizzy by now
"Almost every criminal lawyer would agree" that there must be proof or actual evidence of criminal effort, not mere speculation, before it can be surmised that any crime was committed.

The facts are that the money was given on time and the receiver claimed there was no coercion or bribery.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #158
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
"Almost every criminal lawyer would agree" that there must be proof or actual evidence of criminal effort, not mere speculation, before it can be surmised that any crime was committed.

The facts are that the money was given on time and the receiver claimed there was no coercion or bribery.
I guess you took me literally and kept spinning, haha.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #159
detbuch

Quote:
I guess you took me literally and kept spinning, haha.
Facts are literal statements. They are not spin. I stated fact. Apparently, since you weren't speaking literally, you weren't stating facts. You were spinning.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #160
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Facts are literal statements. They are not spin. I stated fact. Apparently, since you weren't speaking literally, you weren't stating facts. You were spinning.
No sir you don't state a fact when you say there is no evidence of a crime, I guess you haven't really been paying attention as you mind is already made up......party first.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #161
detbuch

Quote:
No sir you don't state a fact when you say there is no evidence of a crime, I guess you haven't really been paying attention as you mind is already made up......party first.
What evidence is there that he bribed Ukraine? Is your evidence something along the lines of (taking off on your previous bank robber analogy) he wanted to rob a bank but didn't, so he is guilty of robbery?

Last edited by detbuch; 01-29-2020 at 09:27 AM..
Old 01-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #162
PaulS

Quote:
Nope, go look at the time line.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #163
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
is it funny when the left denies there’s any evidence that the Biden’s were engaged in fishy stuff there? Or is it only funny when the right makes denials of that which makes them look bad?

a little consistency would go a long way...
What fishy stuff. I've asked a few times and you constantly say well Hunter got a job he wasn't qualified for. What exactly is the "fishy" stuff bc w/o someone explaining to me what it is I think accusing them of fishy stuff is very scummy?
Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #164
detbuch

Quote:
Nope, go look at the time line.
The timeline can lead to various speculations . . . including yours. But they are still speculations.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #165
PaulS

Quote:
The timeline can lead to various speculations . . . including yours. But they are still speculations.
No, any reasonable person would recognize that when the Trump admin. saw other people now knew about the holdup and they then unfroze the $ w/in a day or 2 it was bc they got caught. I don't believe they ever gave any explanation for releasing the $.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #166
Jim in CT

Quote:
No, any reasonable person would recognize that when the Trump admin. saw other people now knew about the holdup and they then unfroze the $ w/in a day or 2 it was bc they got caught. I don't believe they ever gave any explanation for releasing the $.
but not reasonable to assume
that Hunter getting a job in Ukraine is related to his father being the executive branch’s point person on issues related to that ukraine, at the time Hunter got the job.

It seems your standard for what’s reasonable suspicion, depends on politics.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #167
detbuch

Quote:
It would be reasonable to recognize various scenarios. But they are still speculations. And yes, they gave explanations for releasing the money. There are various explanations given by others as well. There is even this neutral explanation by Byron York:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...swer-is-simple

But the main crux is not the temporary hold, which was not illegal, but the notion that it was for political gain. That can only be speculation since only Trump could actually know that. And ultimately, it is all irrelevant. The aid was given. Zelensky said there was no pressure.

And, in any event, as Dershowitz pointed out, whether what Trump did was "right" or "wrong" it did not rise to the level of an impeachable offense. Impeachment should require a higher standard or else it creates the danger of creating the Executive branch a stepchild of Congress.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #168
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
but not reasonable to assume
that Hunter getting a job in Ukraine is related to his father being the executive branch’s point person on issues related to that ukraine, at the time Hunter got the job.

It seems your standard for what’s reasonable suspicion, depends on politics.
That is not illegal or corrupt (or nepotism) like how you have been trying to spin it. That is the child of a connected person benefiting from their parent. Happens all the time. The Bush girl got a tv gig bc of her father. C. Clinton got a good job bc of her parents. Nothing "corrupt' there - just benefiting from their parents.

So you have nothing and tar the name of 2 people based on nothing.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #169
Sea Dangles

If anything,this portrayal of Hunter Biden is flattering compared to what is known about him. But some folks ( libs) choose to ignore the character he has displayed. This guy is pure scum and has done more tarring of the Biden name than the media or right could EVER hope for.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #170
Sea Dangles

Quote:
That is not illegal or corrupt (or nepotism) like how you have been trying to spin it. That is the child of a connected person benefiting from their parent.

So you have nothing and tar the name of 2 people based on nothing.
PaulS, please look up the definition of nepotism and stop embarrassing yourself.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #171
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
It would be reasonable to recognize various scenarios. But they are still speculations. And yes, they gave explanations for releasing the money. There are various explanations given by others as well. There is even this neutral explanation by Byron York:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...swer-is-simple

But the main crux is not the temporary hold, which was not illegal, but the notion that it was for political gain. That can only be speculation since only Trump could actually know that. And ultimately, it is all irrelevant. The aid was given. Zelensky said there was no pressure.

And, in any event, as Dershowitz pointed out, whether what Trump did was "right" or "wrong" it did not rise to the level of an impeachable offense. Impeachment should require a higher standard or else it creates the danger of creating the Executive branch a stepchild of Congress.
Since Dershowitz is easier, I'll do him first.

Short and sweet is, The idea that only violations of criminal law are impeachable is logically, legally, morally, constitutionally, historically and factually absurd.

Common-law crimes are no harder to define with precision than crimes written down in a statute.
Ask any first-year law students for the common law’s definition of burglary and they’ll (hopefully) be able to tell you: “the breaking and entering of the dwelling house of another in the nighttime with the intent to commit a felony.” If someone is accused of burglary in a state where the crime isn’t defined by statute, no defense lawyer would respond by announcing that burglary is vague or made up.

President Trump’s defense falls apart for precisely the same reason. As with burglary, American legal treatises and judicial opinions have long recognized the criminal offense of “abuse of power,” sometimes called “misconduct in office.” In 1846, the first edition of the pre-eminent treatise on American criminal law defined this common-law offense as when “a public officer, entrusted with definite powers to be exercised for the benefit of the community, wickedly abuses or fraudulently exceeds them.” The treatise noted that such an officer “is punishable by indictment, though no injurious effects result to any individual from his misconduct.”

Once again, the argument that Dersh is making undercuts the defense. He is saying any kind of quid pro quo, even if there is a personal benefit is not impeachable, let alone a crime. Then what was there to investigate w Biden??? He has the same defense!

You cite "speculation" to prove your explanation of the money being withheld illegally, Byron York is not a witness of any type.

Laura Cooper is, along with others and plenty of documentary evidence exists.

On the same day in Washington, officials representing national security agencies in a meeting of the “Ukraine Deputies Small Group,” convened by the NSC express “unanimous support” for lifting the hold on security aid to Ukraine. Laura Cooper relays the Defense Department’s sense of urgency about the legal requirement to spend the money by Sept. 30. A readout sent by John Rood, head of policy at the Defense Department, to Defense Secretary Mark Esper and reported by Just Security’s Kate Brannen, makes clear that the hold occurred at the direction of President Trump:

OMB noted that the President’s direction via the Chief of Staff in early July was to suspend security assistance to Ukraine including by blocking the $115 [Foreign Military Financing] congressional notification and by halting execution of the $250M FY19 USAI programs.

Aug. 3, 2019 — OMB political appointee Michael Duffey signs a letter informing Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan and U.S. Agency for International Development Deputy Administrator Bonnie Glick of “a `reapportionment’ of over a dozen different funding categories, including Ukrainian military aid, and ordering an `accounting’ of the unobligated balances in each account,” according to the Washington Post. The letter served as a warning to the agencies that the administration planned to review and could potentially cancel” all $391 million of military aid to Ukraine.

“Without being provided explanation or justification about why the administration was delaying the aid, some career officials at the Office of Management and Budget became worried they didn’t have the legal authority to hold up the funds,” which had been appropriated by Congress, the Wall Street Journal reported. “While career civil servants put an initial hold on the aid,” Duffey “was given the authority for continuing to keep the aid on hold after the career staff began raising their concerns to political officials at OMB.”

Aug. 6, 2019 — Duffey emails acting Pentagon Comptroller Elaine McCusker that he plans to extend the hold. McCusker raises the question of whether the extension would affect the Defense Department’s ability to spent the money before Sept. 30, as legally required by Congress.

8/9
The same day, acting Pentagon Comptroller Elaine McCusker emails senior OMB officials, including Sandy and Duffey, to warn that it may not be possible to spend the money before the end of the fiscal year unless the hold is lifted by Aug. 12. That element was blacked out when the administration released that email in December 2019 in response to a FOIA request.

Aug. 17, 2019 — Sondland asks Volker in a text whether the U.S. side still wants Zelenskyy “to give us an unequivocal draft with 2016 and Boresma [cq]?” This may indicate Zelenskyy has balked. Volker responds, “That’s the clear message so far…I’m hoping we can put something out there that causes him to respond with that.”

Less than 10 days later, Politico publishes an exclusive with the headline, “Trump Holds Up Ukraine Military Aid Meant to Confront Russia.”

Aug. 21, 2019 — DoD’s McCusker emails her DOD colleagues that members of the House Appropriations Committee had been in Ukraine earlier that month and sent the Pentagon a request for information regarding the funding.

Aug. 22, 2019 — The Trump administration abandons its effort to slash foreign assistance programs, but the military assistance to Ukraine remains suspended until it is finally released on Sept. 11. If the funding hadn’t been released before the end of the fiscal year on Sept. 30, it would have been canceled, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Aug. 26, 2019 – The Inspector General forwards the intelligence community whistleblower complaint to Acting DNI Maguire.

On the same day, Duffey emails McCusker that the funding hold is being extended again, Just Security‘s Kate Brannen reported. That prompts McCusker to ask, “What is the status of the impoundment paperwork?” She adds in the rest of the exchange, “It is now necessary — legal teams were discussing last week.” McCusker’s side of the exchange was redacted in emails the administration released in December 2019. McCusker later that day tells Duffey that the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) also had begun asking questions about the aid.

Aug. 27, 2019 — Defense Secretary Esper’s chief of staff, shares with McCusker an email he received the day before from L3 Harris Technology, a defense contractor that was slated to provide some of the allotted equipment to Ukraine, saying the company had heard of a hold on the aid and asking what was happening, according to reporting by Just Security‘s Kate Brannen. McCusker responds, “This situation is really unworkable made particularly difficult because OMB lawyers continue to consistently mischaracterize the process — and the information we have provided.”

McCusker also gives Duffey a heads-up that the Pentagon is preparing a letter from the deputy defense secretary to Russell Vought, the acting director of OMB, that says, “We have repeatedly advised OMB officials that pauses beyond Aug. 19, 2019 jeopardize the Department’s ability to obligate USAI funding prudently and fully, consistent with the Impoundment Control Act.” The letter goes on to say that, since the latest hold had expired and had not been extended, the Pentagon is proceeding with obligating the money and that any further delay would require “a special message [to Congress] proposing rescission or deferral of funding.”

But later that day, Duffey extends the hold again.

Aug. 28, 2019 – Then-U.S. National Security Advisor John Bolton becomes the first high-level Trump administration official to visit Kyiv since President Zelenskyy’s inauguration. Bolton says the two discussed a possible meeting between the two presidents during a trip Trump planned at the time to Poland.

The same day, Politico breaks the news that President Trump was delaying the distribution of $250 million of fiscal 2019 security assistance that Ukraine needs to fight its war with Russia on its eastern flank, by asking his administration to review how it was being spent. The hold on the aid package at the same time as Trump and Giuliani were agitating publicly for Ukraine to investigate Biden raises the specter that the U.S. president was using congressionally appropriated taxpayer dollars as leverage to coerce a foreign government to investigate his potential rival in the 2020 election. It later emerges that a separate military aid package of $141.5 million in Foreign Military Financing also was included in the suspension, for a total of almost $400 million.

As the Trump administration prepares talking points for its response to the story, McCusker emails Duffey to say that she disagrees with the final point that says, “No action has been taken by OMB that would preclude the obligation of these funds before the end of the fiscal year.” The emails that the administration released in December 2019 in response to a FOIA request redacted McCusker’s note.

Aug. 30, 2019 — After Esper and Pompeo meet with President Trump, Duffey emails McCusker, “Clear direction from POTUS to hold.” He adds that he would send new paperwork extending the hold. But in the meantime, Esper tells Chewning that no decision emerged from the meeting.

Late August: The Acting Director of National Intelligence and Inspector General of the Intelligence Community make a written criminal referral to the Justice Department after the Inspector General conducts an inquiry into the whistleblower’s complaint, according to Acting DNI Maguire’s congressional testimony and the New York Times. (See Aug. 14 entry for verbal criminal referral.)

September 2019 – The Wall Street Journal reports on Sept. 24, “Ukrainian officials earlier this month expressed concern to U.S. senators that the aid had been held up as a penalty for resisting that pressure.”

Sept. 1, 2019 — Vice President Mike Pence, standing in for President Trump at a World War II commemoration in Warsaw, meets with Ukrainian President Zelenskyy, who raises the question of the hold on military assistance. Sondland and Morrison also attended the meeting. Afterwards, Sondland has a brief side conversation with Zelenskyy aide Yermak and tells him that the aid likely would not be released until Ukraine publicly announced the investigations.

The same day, U.S. Senators Chris Murphy, a Connecticut Democrat, and Ron Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, visit Kyiv and meet with Zelenskyy, accompanied by Taylor. Zelenskyy’s “first question to the senators was about the withheld security assistance,” Taylor later tells the impeachment inquiry. “Both senators stressed that bipartisan support for Ukraine in Washington was Ukraine’ s most important strategic asset and that President Zelenskyy should not jeopardize that bipartisan support by getting drawn into U.S. domestic politics,” Taylor says.

The same day in Washington, the Trump administration again extends the hold on Ukraine assistance.

Sept. 9, 2019 – Three U.S. House committees launch probe into Trump and Giuliani pressure campaign

The House Foreign Affairs, Intelligence and Oversight and Reform committees announce a joint investigation of Trump and Giuliani’s alleged efforts to strongarm Ukraine into pursuing two investigations for the president’s political gain, including by threatening to withhold $250 million in security assistance. The joint press release says public records show the efforts have continued “for nearly two years” and were conducted “under the guise of anti-corruption activity.”

Sept. 9, 2019 — Duffey adds OMB and Pentagon lawyers to a response to McCusker that contradicts months of email exchanges, saying OMB had, in fact, “authoriz[ed] DoD to proceed with all processes necessary to obligate funds” for Ukraine security aid and laying all responsibility for any delay onto DoD. McCusker replies, “You can’t be serious. I am speechless.”

Sept. 11, 2019 – Trump releases the hold on U.S. security assistance to Ukraine

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #172
detbuch

Sorry Pete, I just can't get myself to trod through another one of your long tickey tack tangled web revelations. I tried scanning, and kept running into possibilities and concerns about possibilities and interpretations. A piling on preponderance of speculation and interpretable circumstance doesn't, sheerly because of the large number of words, make it a convincing argument to remove a President over a no harm dispute about why money was withheld and then not withheld and which led to a relation with Ukraine being cemented by agreeable dispositions on both sides.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #173
scottw

Quote:

ding...ding...ding....
Old 01-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #174
scottw

Quote:
I stated facts. You speculate. Impeachment should be based on fact, not speculation.
Paul pointed out recently that he'd lapped up and digested every bit of evidence and testimony that schiff chose to cherry pick and offer to fit the narrative and then completely ignored what the trump team offered in response and then declared himself fully informed and of great judgment and probably a better person with an open mind for having done so....so...that's kind of where we're at
Old 01-29-2020, 11:32 AM   #175
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Sorry Pete, I just can't get myself to trod through another one of your long tickey tack tangled web revelations. I tried scanning, and kept running into possibilities and concerns about possibilities and interpretations. A piling on preponderance of speculation and interpretable circumstance doesn't, sheerly because of the large number of words, make it a convincing argument to remove a President over a no harm dispute about why money was withheld and then not withheld and which led to a relation with Ukraine being cemented by agreeable dispositions on both sides.
And your rebuttal is based on lies.
There is enough evidence that I cited.
Yes, it is a long and tangled web that Floridaman wove, but making it hard to discern the truth does not make him innocent.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #176
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And your rebuttal is based on lies.
There is enough evidence that I cited.
Yes, it is a long and tangled web that Floridaman wove, but making it hard to discern the truth does not make him innocent.
The aid was given, on time, Zelensky said no pressure. Facts, not lies.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #177
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
PaulS, please look up the definition of nepotism and stop embarrassing yourself.

When are you going to smarten up and recognize that when you think I am wrong, you usually are the one who is wrong.

nep·o·tism

/ˈnepəˌtizəm/

the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #178
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Paul pointed out recently that he'd lapped up and digested every bit of evidence and testimony that schiff chose to cherry pick and offer to fit the narrative and then completely ignored what the trump team offered in response and then declared himself fully informed and of great judgment and probably a better person with an open mind for having done so....so...that's kind of where we're at
Pls. point that out to me where I said anything about the Trump team otherwise be a good snarky little boy and say you're sorry.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #179
Sea Dangles

Quote:
When are you going to smarten up and recognize that when you think I am wrong, you usually are the one who is wrong.

nep·o·tism

/ˈnepəˌtizəm/

the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.
Thanks for making my point,son.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #180
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
The aid was given, on time, Zelensky said no pressure. Facts, not lies.
Sounds like this defense

“I ate him because I’m a murdering cannibal, but, in all fairness, it was also lunchtime.” - Jeffrey Dahmer

Lets Go Darwin