Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 09-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
Flaptail

Angry ANARCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the streets ( that aren't underwater) of New Orleans. The people who could not afford and had no means to get out have gone over the edge and rightly so as our President, in his wisdom, formed the Dept. Of Homeland Security and this is a perfect example of how they would react to an a national, regional or local emergency in the aftermath of an attack or as in this case natural disaster. Totally Fu%ked Up. Leave it to G.W. and his boys. Folks this country is in more trouble than you could possibly imagine. We can spend billions to rebuild Iraq ( course we have to we destroyed ii, it's a moral obligation for going into a country and doing that when it could have been handled in other ways, meanwhile Osama is still loose ands his movement grows each day) but we don't have troops and food and memdicine and tents and a major relief effort going there yet by Federal agencies, just a token effort. Jumpin' Jesus on a Pogo Stick George! Declare freakin' Marshall Law and take control of the situation. Could you imagine the sorry assed state we will be in when some Islamic religious extremeist detonated a small nuke in dowtown Cleveland or some other city? GW our commader and chief time to go George, it's time to go. Somebody please help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me want to

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Nebe

i hear ya flap... sadly i dont think he is going anywhere and his successor will porbably be just as bad if not worse.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Send a message via AIM to Homerun04
Here's what I don't understand........how many times has the US military made emergency airlifts of medical supplies and food to so many third world countries during times of famine and natural disasters......why aren't I seeing any images of that happening right now in New Orleans......????

A: There is no international political advantage to taking care of our own people........all politicians are garbage IMO.

"You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give"
Homerun04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Backbeach Jake

Angry

Personally I'm beginning to believe that "The Greatest Country on Earth" has either been all smoke and mirrors, or the rest of the world is a total latrine. I'm ashamed at the slow or even effective response to this situation. People have been milling around in waist deep sewage for four days now, and the rest of the Country wants the heads of those who "looted" a meal from Piggly Wiggly. Clothes and TV, sure shoot 'em. Listening to NPR on the way home from work, some of the stuffed shirts interviewed didn't know the condition of folks holed up in the Convention Center. It's HELL in there, rape of a 10 year old, bodies of the elderly, muggings No food No water No Cops No friggin' clue. It's eight blocks from thr Super Dome! Our "Officials need to be rotated out. They knew this was about to happen, yet their thumbs were sat on. As I said , I'm ashamed and angry as hell. God help those poor folks, the Government sure as hell can't. That was my political rant for the year, don't take it personally.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Karl F

My bro-in-law lived in the Big Easy, or the Big Sleazy, as he calls it... for a few years in the eighties, his work has taken him just about everywhere in the States, and a few foriegn places as well... He still refers to it, as the most corrupt City, in the most corrupt State. He shudders at the thought of sending money to Louisiana, he knows there has been a tragedy, and help and cash are needed, but the reality of where the cash will go, he says, is a scary thought...

Damn shame people have lost their senses down there, the logistics of getting help to a city underwater, with a large resovoir above, and the gulf also, are pretty frustrating for sure... Where do you put the water, when you are the low spot?
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
Flaptail

Thumbs down

Quote, " they have no idea on what is going on down here, excuse my french Anmerica, but I am pissed!!!!!", the Mayor of New Orleans on the lame response of GW'S administration Federal response to New Orleans situation.

Atta boy George, #^&#^&#^&#^& and the Republican controlled House and Senate!!!!!!!!

Osama and his boys are rubbing thier hands with delight, they now know how devastating an attack can be with the limp response shown therse last few days if they make it a big one.

Thsi country has no effective leadership and it is painfully showing.

Why even try.........
Old 09-02-2005, 08:49 AM   #7
Nebe

flap for president
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:30 AM   #8
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Quote:
This country has no effective leadership and it is painfully showing.
Agreed..........

Old 09-02-2005, 10:09 AM   #9
Flaptail

Talking

The Administration cut two badly needed dike repair projects from the 2005/2006 Army Corps of Engineers budget. Guess which two failed?

Why even try.........
Old 09-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #10
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Downtown NOLA is looking a bit like Mogadishu lately...

Except with alot of water....

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #11
Backbeach Jake

Unhappy

Ok here's my 2nd rant. FEMA is a friggin' farce and money pit. If who the hell ever runs that circus was a Student of disaster, he would have known that starving homeless people freak the hell out. All catastrophies in our history have been followed immediatly with looting , crime and general mayhem and brigandage. If I remember correctly, nearly 1000 people were shot and killed for looting after the San Francisco Quake. Fema's job was to prevent that by being there immediatly to alleviate that scenario. They dropped the ball. And I guarantee you , Al Queda is trying to come up with a disaster in another location right now. And Homeland Security will drop the ball after playing with their little terror "rainbow". This Country is a mess right now, and we are pretty much learderless,our leadership is that ineffective. Gasoline prices are berserk. Transportation costs will skyrocket right soon. All other costs will follow...except labor costs. I fear that we all will soon find ourselves scraping the bottom of the barrel for enough to get by. That's one step from the poor people of New Orleans. Scraping fighting looting for a living. Please forgive my pessimisism, but it just looks bleak on down this road. The very idea of Americans walking around in waist deep sewage for a friggin' week is abhorrant to me and speaks volumns of our leader's opinion of their citizens.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #12
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I have never liked/trusted politicians.....to be one you have to have a little larceny in you!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #13
Karl F

BBJ.. yer right... keep in mind anniversary of 9/11. if terrorist bastages had something planned, they gonna pull it now, while we are diverted, Hope for GD sure that somebody higher up has this figured out as well.... also, this disaster, all ninety thousand square miles of it, (!!!) and all several hundred thousand people of it, which has gotta be a logistical nightmare, even if yer freakin superman... OK, where do you put them??, and who is agreeable, and for what cost, ie, tax incentive, govt. supplement, etc. etc.... what kinda promises were made to states and governors and stadium and arena owners, that probably won't be kept (Texas, and Florida).. I can't help but notice that Lousyanna is handling it worse than Ol' Miss, flood or not, .... Please don't get me wrong, ain't defending "W'impy, just my observation, and YES, it Sux, there was obviously, NO PLAN..... I also notice, no camera shots on tube, of looting of water and diapers, only lootin' of high end electronics and jewelry and booze.. Nat'l Gaurd gonna look the other way if they see somebody haulin water, or diapers, or food outta a convenience store, prolly gonna put a cap in somebodys arse if they taking oxycotten outta a pharmacy, or jewelry outta a store. I could be wrong, but, this is what I see when I stare at the boob tube.
But.. The whole thing Sux.

We need to fish.. PM?.. tommorow night????
Old 09-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #14
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Quote:
to be one you have to have a little larceny in you!
A lot of larceny.....mixed with a pinch of manipulation, a dash of misleading, a touch of dishonesty, a truckload of ego, and an ocean of money..........

Old 09-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #15
Backbeach Jake

Talking

Yes Karl we do need to fish. Tomorrow night is fine, thanks for the suggestion! A fish would greatly help to break this dark mood that I'm in. Feeling positively revolutionary.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #16
Karl F

C U then
Old 09-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Order and function

What you all are just coming to grips with is the tenuous hold on order and function in society that is in place. It is fleeting at best because no one wants a more stringent system of checks and balances. No one wants higher taxes to pay for this ahead of time so a disaster like this is always played as catchup. I don't recall 1000 people being killed rioting or looting in Califonia after the quake and bridge collasped as someone said. I don't think you'll see anyone killed by law enforcement in New Orleans unless they shoot at the cops. Only one newsman made any reference to black people taking food as looters so the rest of the African American community is taking that slight and running with it. No one not even the cops stopped anyone taking food. The authorities were letting everyone take all the food they could carry. And as one of the list members said it was before ad will always be one of the most corrupt cites in the country. Remember about 15 years when a black female officer was killed by another black female officer when the second officer stumbled across the first one after she robbed and killed someone. In uniform and on-duty that happened. Everyone was agast that the cops only earned $13,000 a year. They fired half the force and replaced them with what is there now. The only reason anyone would take the job was the bennies that could be had stealing, killing, and drug dealing. I was going to school for my masters degree around that time and read study after study done by researchers who searched high and low for the reasons why things were as they were there. Bottom line was the avergae pay for a cop was $35,000 to 40,000 a year everywhere else it was only $13,000 and whatever you could scam. That type of corruption trickles down and up the entire social strata of the city. The managers of the police department accepted it and the people the cops served accepted the corruption as status quo. I mean look at it biggest claim to fame, once a year for two weeks different groups sponsers parades and binge drinking. I had a friend who was an acute alcoholic who has since died of cirrohsis of the liver. He used to say he could vacation there for two weeks every years and he didn't stand out as abnormal. New Orleans has been one of our busiest seap ports since before George Washington was president. It played integral roles in our history, The french blockaded the harbor, the brittish blockaded the harbor, so we bought the land out from underneath the pirateers who tried to run the city and we kicked them out. If the response time was to long it was so by one maybe two days at the most. You have to remember that once the decision was made to evac the entire city no one was going to make the victims of Katrina any more comfortable than necessary, because the government wanted them to be ready to move when the buses were made available. If they were well-fed and had showers they might have had a tough time getting all of the people on buses. They have to rebuild almost the entire sections of the city and the residents not being there will help that to happen at a much quicker pace. The whole thing is a real kick in the b$#$s, and sometimes that kick take you to your knees. You have to be willing to get up and take a step.Anyone wants to donate the checks can be mailed to: American Red Cross Attention: Disaster Relief Fund 285 Columbus Avenue Boston, Mass. 02116. I sent $200.00 and I challenge everyone here to donate also.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #18
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

NO is a pretty corrupt place, I have to agree. How much federal funding went into the locals' pockets? Probably most of it.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:47 AM   #19
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F
My bro-in-law lived in the Big Easy, or the Big Sleazy, as he calls it... for a few years in the eighties, his work has taken him just about everywhere in the States, and a few foriegn places as well... He still refers to it, as the most corrupt City, in the most corrupt State. He shudders at the thought of sending money to Louisiana, he knows there has been a tragedy, and help and cash are needed, but the reality of where the cash will go, he says, is a scary thought...

Damn shame people have lost their senses down there, the logistics of getting help to a city underwater, with a large resovoir above, and the gulf also, are pretty frustrating for sure... Where do you put the water, when you are the low spot?
Out of all the news channel coverage of this disaster, I heard them speak of the corruption just once so far.
I hope someone honest steps up and takes charge down there.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #20
STRIPER77

FT-- "rightly so"-----well maybe rightly so to loot water and food and sanitary supplies---but TV's, sneakers.and anything else they could carry---give me a break!! And I suppose shooting at relief workers was "rightly so" too.

STRIPER77
STRIPER77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:25 PM   #21
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRIPER77
FT-- "rightly so"-----well maybe rightly so to loot water and food and sanitary supplies---but TV's, sneakers.and anything else they could carry---give me a break!! And I suppose shooting at relief workers was "rightly so" too.
S77, Rightly So because the response of the govt gave the crininal element a chance to break down into the anarchy seen and experienced because of the loss of all order. Not because it was their right and priviledge but because the chance was given for them to go over the edge. Again, the result of the government to failing look to thier own and see the problems in our own backyards. Poverty breeds ignorance and the spawn of that ignorance is the resulting actions of these people in the total abscence of law and order.

Why even try.........
Old 09-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #22
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Quote:
S77, Rightly So because the response of the govt gave the crininal element a chance to break down into the anarchy seen and experienced because of the loss of all order. Not because it was their right and priviledge but because the chance was given for them to go over the edge. Again, the result of the government to failing look to thier own and see the problems in our own backyards. Poverty breeds ignorance and the spawn of that ignorance is the resulting actions of these people in the total abscence of law and order.
Free will Flap....free will.......it doesn't matter how wealthy or poor a man is to make up his mind how to live his life.....granted, that is a lot easier to say if one is wealthy then if one is poor, but IMO, that is also why many of the poor people are so honorable -- becuase no matter how tempting it is for them to cheat during times like this, many still do not.........it is not the government's fault many of these people bahaved so badly........."It will be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, then it will be for a wealthy man to enter into the kingdom of God".

God bless the poor.....

Old 09-05-2005, 07:23 PM   #23
Backbeach Jake

Arrow

As much as I despise the idea of looting, I haven't had my home washed away,I haven't lost everything that I own, I haven't seen my neighbor floating face down in the sewage that I'm wading in. The list of human indignity goes on for miles only to be ignored by the Government for a week. Personally, when I find myself under severe stress, I find myself exploring the limits of rationality. Fema's job is to be there right friggin' now to show support,provide basic human needs and most importantly relieve some of that stress. Help the people remain human, if you will. People (You and me included) go nuts when stressed. Just my observation...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 09-05-2005, 07:25 PM   #24
STRIPER77

FT---The next time I'm sitting under a bridge, guarding my Wal-Mart stash, and taking pot shots at relief workers, I'll think of your rationalization....."rightly so"........... Thanks

STRIPER77
STRIPER77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #25
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Quote:
People (You and me included) go nuts when stressed.
Not me....I usually go the other way when stressed.....granted, I never faced their conditions, but generally speaking I operate best under pressure.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:33 PM   #26
greenmeanie

Don't people take care of themselves anymore?
Another reason backing the 2nd and they where told to leave and chose not to. When in a SHTF situation you need to protect yourselves.
greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 PM   #27
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Quote:
chose not to
Empathy GM......how about those people who had no means to leave.....no money....no car.......no family anywhere else.......sometimes the folks who have so much tend to project their abilities onto everyone else, and that isn't necessarily fair to those who do not have as much. In other words, just because you might have means doesn't mean everyone has means.

There but for the Grace of God go I...........just my $0.02 worth.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:51 PM   #28
greenmeanie

My 2 cents is you shouldn't live off the GOV't tit. Get out there and better yourselves. You choose to be poor no one makes you poor.

Also they where running buses for 3 days before the storm hit. They couldn't get out but they could loot and rape and murder HMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun04
Empathy GM......how about those people who had no means to leave.....no money....no car.......no family anywhere else.......sometimes the folks who have so much tend to project their abilities onto everyone else, and that isn't necessarily fair to those who do not have as much. In other words, just because you might have means doesn't mean everyone has means.

There but for the Grace of God go I...........just my $0.02 worth.
greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:55 PM   #29
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Wow Greenmeanie.....the "meanie" part of your name is perfectly fitting.....I'll pray that you never need someone's help one of these days.....oh that's right....I'm sure if you ever need help it will be a diferent story then.

Let me ask you something, what religion do you belong to?

Old 09-07-2005, 12:35 AM   #30
BigBo

First of all, people these days have zero survival skills.
The orders of failing responsibility in this disaster was initially upon the mayor of N.O., then the state government, THEN the federal government. This goes for the surrounding areas as well. The city of N.O. had a plan in place but failed to execute that plan. While the federal government made some mistakes, I believe they should be the last on the list taking any sort of blame for relief or lack of it.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote