Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #31
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Yep
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
stop, you really don't have it in you and it doesn't come naturally.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
stop, you really don't have it in you and it doesn't come naturally.
have you ever asked a liberal here to cool it with the insults?
Old 10-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #33
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
have you ever asked a liberal here to cool it with the insults?
There is no one here who has made as many insults, for as long as you have. Plus, I know what a.nice guy Kevin is.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #34
wdmso

Quote:
enlighten me then. what’s going to happen in the next 4 years that will destroy us? be specific.

insults from a guy who doesn’t know the senate is part of congress.
Not having a clue is not an insult its a fact

President George W. Bush who signed the Status of Forces agreement in 2008, which planned for all American troops to be out of Iraq by the end of 2011.

State Department's lawyers said troops couldn't stay in Iraq unless the Iraqi parliament authorized them to do so, including granting them immunity from Iraqi law. The Iraqi parliamentarians would never OK such a decision, with Iraqi popular opinion staunchly against U.S. troops staying.
So we left.

What happened next was on them

As for next 4 years not sure what your talking about.. my comments were directed at your incorrect Iraq comments

Last edited by wdmso; 10-07-2019 at 01:31 PM..
Old 10-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
There is no one here who has made as many insults, for as long as you have. Plus, I know what a.nice guy Kevin is.
silly me, i was under the impression that when Pete went after TDFs daughters specifically, that was an insult. Spence has never disagreed with me without insulting me. but those don’t count. very enlightening.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #36
Pete F.
Canceled

Here are some comments from Brent McGurk, President Trump's former Special Presidential Envoy to Counter ISIS

Donald Trump is not a Commander-in-Chief. He makes impulsive decisions with no knowledge or deliberation. He sends military personnel into harm’s way with no backing. He blusters and then leaves our allies exposed when adversaries call his bluff or he confronts a hard phone call.

The WH statement tonight on Syria after Trump spoke with Erdogan demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of anything happening on the ground. The “United States” is not holding any ISIS detainees. They are all being held by the SDF, which Trump just served up to Turkey.

Turkey has neither the intent, desire, nor capacity to manage 60k detainees in al Hol camp, which State and DoD IGs warn is the nucleus for a resurgent ISIS. Believing otherwise is a reckless gamble with our national security. Background here https://thesoufancenter.org/wp-conte...pen-Letter.pdf

The Turkish proposed “safe zone” would effectively extend Turkey’s border 30km into Syria, including areas of Christians, Kurds, and other vulnerable minorities. Our diplomats were working on a plan to forestall such a debacle. Where’s Pompeo?

Indeed, US officials signed the SDF up to a “security mechanism” plan by which it removed all defensive barriers on the Syrian side of the border to forestall a Turkish incursion. EUCOM issued this just yesterday. Was Trump ever even briefed on this plan?

Trump made a similarly impulsive decision when I was managing the policy. I resigned over it and stand by every word in this op-ed. Tonight is a sad replay but seems even worse as US officials had since convinced the SDF that we planned to stay.

There’s a similar defect at the core of US foreign policies across the board: maximalist objectives for a minimalist president combined with no process to assess facts, develop options, or prepare contingencies. Our personnel are left exposed at the slightest moment of friction.

Bottom line: Trump tonight after one call with a foreign leader provided a gift to Russia, Iran, and ISIS. FWIW, I warned of this here in Foreign Affairs https://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...d-truths-syria and recommended alternatives given the hard realities on the ground and in this White House.

PS I didn't have any idea what TDF's children identified as but given his post earlier and the image he identified with, you likely can understand the confusion.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
silly me, i was under the impression that when Pete went after TDFs daughters specifically, that was an insult. Spence has never disagreed with me without insulting me. but those don’t count. very enlightening.
If you don't think you insulted more people here than anyone else you're living in a fantasy world
Old 10-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #38
Pete F.
Canceled

That didn't take long, let's see what spineless Trump does now.
He was rolled yesterday by Ergodan, not surprising considering that one of his many false claims is to be a great negotiator.

Jerusalem Post Breaking News
TURKEY ATTACKS KURDS, SDF IN IRAQ, SYRIA AS U.S. WITHDRAWS
BY JERUSALEM POST STAFF OCTOBER 7, 2019 22:34

Breaking news
Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

Turkish forces carried out attacks against Kurdish forces and the anti-Assad Syrian Democratic Forces militia in Syria and Iraq near the Turkish border on Monday evening.

Turkish forces attacked SDF positions in the city of al-Malikiyah in northern Syria, according to Syrian state news agency SANA.The Turkish Air Force "neutralized" three PKK (Kurdistan Workers' Party) members in northern Iraq on Monday, according to the Turkish National Defense Ministry, reported the Turkish Anadolu Agency.

The attacks were carried out in the Gara region near the Turkey-Iraq border.

Earlier on Monday, the United States announced that it would be withdrawing from Syria.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #39
Sea Dangles

Quote:
If you don't think you insulted more people here than anyone else you're living in a fantasy world
Why don’t you stfu with your victim act. We know you are a snowflake but you have to jam it down our throat just to stick out as the leader of stupidity. Good grief, do you have my pity.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #40
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

NK: Fire and fury, little Rocket Man plays Trump, Trump legitimizes this horrific regime, Kim keeps testing.

Russia: Putin helps Trump in 2016, plays Trump like a fiddle, locks pee tapes up for later use, Trump does Putin's dirty work for him.

China: Trump tries to play hard ball, China knows it can wait him out, trade war costing US consumers and Trump needs to bail out farmers to save face.

Iran: Trump pulls out of agreement thinking he is going to play hard ball to get better deal, all the while pissing off our allies. Iran starts to play it's own game of hard ball, seizing tankers and blowing up 50% of the Saudia's oil production, in addition to shooting down a multi-million dollar US drone.

Ukraine: Trump knows Putin would like to get a little more territory and he feels he can help his bud, while at the same time delaying military aid to get some dirt on his 2016 main rival.

Finland: Possibly Trump was after another cold lily white purchase since the Greenland purchase fell flat.

Nato and Allies: Trump says I know more than all of you combined, so go f*ck yourselves, I'm building Trump Island and it's going to be the best ever.

Foreign policy at it's finest. Actually his policy is send all your ambassadors and envoys to my family run resorts and hotels and we can talk..........wink...wink. Call me, but only on my private number please.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #41
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Why don’t you stfu with your victim act. We know you are a snowflake but you have to jam it down our throat just to stick out as the leader of stupidity. Good grief, do you have my pity.
Mr irrelevant
Old 10-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #42
spence

Quote:
Spence has never disagreed with me without insulting me. but those don’t count. very enlightening.
I don't understand this at all. At times I've pointed out where I think you're not doing your homework. That's not an insult. To be honest the constant dribble of snowflake, #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and the crap that Dangles spews goes beyond locker room talk...it's just stupid and immature. Seriously Jim I'm surprised you get into it.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #43
Pete F.
Canceled

Nothing to worry about the Stable Genius has it covered with his great and unmatched wisdom, got it?

Trump's announcement on Syria plus the Ukraine scandal, from a European intel source: "The world order is collapsing in front of our eyes"
The Trump administration is pulling out of the Open Skies Treaty, which allows the United States and our allies and partners in Europe to monitor Russian military deployments. Withdrawal risks dividing the transatlantic alliance.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:38 AM   #44
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

from a European intel source: "The world order is collapsing in front of our eyes"

is her name Greta?
Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #45
Pete F.
Canceled

Sometimes the only way to explain / predict Trump's foreign policy is to think "what would Putin want the US to do?"
Old 10-08-2019, 06:00 AM   #46
wdmso

TRUMP if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey .

Great and unmatched wisdom....

Makes you feel confident in whos running the country dosen't

Not sure if knows they are allies in a thing called NATO
Old 10-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #47
Jim in CT

“the world order is collapsing before our eyes”

in what world, Pete? not here on Earth.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
is her name Greta?
well played sir.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #49
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
“the world order is collapsing before our eyes”

in what world, Pete? not here on Earth.
In Trumpworld all is great, step outside the studio. There’s a real world.

Remember, the Kurds on the ground defeated ISIS, not wee Donnie Bonespurs Trump.

Just keep believing Putin’s Puppet

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #50
Sea Dangles

Quote:

Remember, the Kurds on the ground defeated ISIS, not wee Donnie Bonespurs Trump.

The Kurds aren’t going anywhere so they should be fine without him.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #51
Pete F.
Canceled

Ask an Armenian, why you would want to worry about Turks
Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:

no one said all is great. you said it’s all collapsing. not true.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:

you’re saying that moving 250 troops out of syria, is going to cause world order to collapse? can we be clear, that’s what you’re saying?

Old 10-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #54
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Ask the indigenous people why you should worry about the white man.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #55
Jim in CT

Quote:
but why are we the only ones on the planet who pony up? we’ve had a presence there for years, we took the lead. when is it someone else’s turn.

and as scott said, if trump
was determined to stay forever, there are those who would
attack him for that.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #56
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
you’re saying that moving 250 troops out of syria, is going to cause world order to collapse? can we be clear, that’s what you’re saying?

If only life were so simple.

Read some news from outside Trumpworld and don't feel limited to the few clips I post.

Just keep believing Putin's Puppet and his great and unmatched wisdom.

The Irish Times and remember we "were" THE world power.
In Britain and the US, the idea that the EU could aspire to be a superpower is usually treated as either ludicrous or sinister.

So when Guy Verhofstadt, a prominent member of the European Parliament, recently made the case for the EU to be part of an emerging “world order that is based on empires”, there was a predictable backlash. At the Conservative party conference a few days ago, his words, taken from a speech to their anti-Brexit enemies the Liberal Democrats, were cited as evidence of the dangerous imperial ambitions of the EU - and proof that leaving the bloc is the UK’s only safe option.

Mr Verhofstadt can be arrogant. But, in this case, he also happens to be right. The rise of China and India, and the America First policies of Donald Trump’s US, makes it more important than ever that European countries defend their interests collectively.

The EU once dreamt that the whole world would move towards a law-based system, similar to the EU method. But a world order, shaped by Xi Jinping’s China and Trump’s America, will be based on power rather than rules. The outbreak of a global trade war underlines that small European countries can no longer rely on international rules to protect them. They need the bulk and heft that the EU provides.

The former Belgian prime minister’s choice of the word “empire” - with its connotations of conquest - was unfortunate. The EU is an empire by invitation. Nobody is forced to join. And, despite the difficulties of Brexit, any member is free to leave. It would be more accurate to say that the EU can and should aspire to be a superpower - one of four or five major global powers, capable of shaping the world order.

The Telegraph from the UK
Donald Trump has abandoned Syria for short-term political gain. We will all pay a terrible price for his folly

Financial Review from Australia
EU, too, needs to flex its muscles under the new world order
The EU once dreamt the whole world would move towards a law-based system, but a world order, shaped by Xi Jinping’s China and Trump’s America, will be based on power rather than rules.

From the BESA center Israel
The American withdrawals from the agreements with Russia and Iran are but two examples of a far broader breakdown in adherence to international law, norms, and procedures fueled by President Donald Trump’s disdain for key pillars of the US-led, post-WWII order.

Trump has walked away from the Paris accord on climate change as well as the Trans-Pacific Partnership and cast doubt on the US commitment to multiple other multilateral arrangements, including the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), the EU, and the G7, which brings together the West’s largest economies.

America’s rivals, China and Russia, as well as Iran, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia, have countered US unilateralism with calls for a strengthening of multilateralism – albeit one in which they can use the arms trade to leverage their geopolitical weight and fight wars with absolute disregard for the human consequences, and brutally repress minorities of any ethnic, religious, or political stripe.

Trump’s “America First” approach has emboldened leaders backed by Russia and China, including Erdoğan, to more aggressively challenge the existing order and more blatantly violate its underpinnings.

The Korea Herald from South Korea
This year marks the 75th anniversary of the Bretton Woods Agreement, which laid the foundation of the liberal economic order in the post-World War era and led to the establishment of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank.

But it is also likely to be remembered as the turning point in history when leading economies essentially confirmed the denial of liberalism, regressing to nationalist and populist ideals.

The rise of Donald Trump as US president signaled the end of the liberal world order that had prevailed for most of the 20th century, as the Council on Foreign Relations President Richard Haass wrote in his landmark column “Liberal world order, R.I.P.” in March 2018.

As noted in its recent set of policies, the world’s most powerful country has been gesturing to depart from its long-held role as guardian of liberalism.

The Trump administration’s anti-liberalism actions included scrapping the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, and withdrawing from the Paris Climate Agreement, Trans-Pacific Partnership and UNESCO.

As for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, the US president labeled it “obsolete,” denying its function as a forerunner institution in the Western liberal-democratic world.

“The liberal world order cannot survive on its own, because others (than the US) lack either the interest or the means to sustain it,” Haass wrote.

“The result will be a world that is less free, less prosperous, and less peaceful, for Americans and others alike.”

Confirming Haass’ pessimistic analysis was the Group of 20 summit held in Osaka, Japan, in June this year, where the world’s major economies failed to include the issue of trade protectionism in their final communique, mainly due to disapproval from the US.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #57
Pete F.
Canceled

Gov Mike Hucabee tweets
I generally support @POTUS on foreign policy & don't want our troops fighting other nations' wars, but a HUGE mistake to abandon Kurds. They've never asked us to do THEIR fighting-just give them tools to defend themselves. They have been faithful allies. We CANNOT abandon them.

So it’s obvious Huckabee clearly doesn’t understand the dynamics of the global hotel business and its role in modern Foreign Policy development.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #58
Jim in CT

senator rand paul agrees with trump, he’s more of
an isolationist i guess, who is adamantly opposed to committing us troops to endless fighting in such places. i haven’t heard many other people agree with what trump is doing. if it had to do with hotels in turkey he should be arrested. if he honestly wants to bring troops away from conflicts that may never end, isn’t there an argument to be made for that?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #59
scottw

Quote:

the few clips I post.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #60
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
senator rand paul agrees with trump, he’s more of
an isolationist i guess, who is adamantly opposed to committing us troops to endless fighting in such places. i haven’t heard many other people agree with what trump is doing. if it had to do with hotels in turkey he should be arrested. if he honestly wants to bring troops away from conflicts that may never end, isn’t there an argument to be made for that?
If you have the attitude that there is always another rube to take advantage of, get the job done and move on to another it's fine.
That is Trump's historical MO, burning banks and subs. That's how you get involved in 3500 lawsuits.

But in the real world we need allies, sooner or later and we need them to trust us. Guaranteed there has been collateral damage over the years, but not in your face like this.

Remember what the Bushes put together in the Middle East in days.

That's why the Kurds, Afghanistan, Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, the Philippines, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom and Uzbekistan and others matter.

Do you think Trump is capable of that kind of coordination and diplomacy?

And when all is said and done what did Erdogan get for not going public with all he knew on Kashoggi? There is a lot more to that story than is currently known.

Lets Go Darwin