Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 03-14-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Green Light
Work hard. Fish harder.

Send a message via Skype™ to Green Light
IGFA World Record for the largest striped bass via Kayak?

Is there a world record category for the largest striped bass landed via Kayak? If not, should there be?

I ask this because in the current issue of SWS, there are two picture of kayak fisherman holding 50+ lb striped bass; the first I have read of.

I found their photos online at: http://forum.kayak4fish.com/viewtopi...7125fe4455e7e5

(If I have broken a site policy on external links, my applogies.)

I welcome your thoughts, opinions, and feedback.

-Fish360
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Mr. Sandman

no.
They don't recognize shore or boat...a yak is just a small boat.

I wrote them a few years back about several things (shore fishing was one of them) as well as some fish that are not included fully in the listings. The reply I got back was somewhat hostile saying that they keep records for over 12000 categories don't see a need for a shore catagory, yada yada yada... I was disappointed with their response.

Later, after seeing a 2# Blue fin tuna caught in France and acknowledged as a record catch on a fly rod (forgot the tippet) I dropped my membership. I think they are hypocrites to accept a record fish like that when it clearly is an under size fish by any measure and does not represent the conservation minded angler.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Green Light
Work hard. Fish harder.

Thank you

Mr. Sandman,

Thank you for the feedback.
I did not know IGFA was so arrogant.
Based on your experience...it sound like they are "paper pushers" and do not even FISH. Go figure.

-Fish360
Old 03-20-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Mr. Sandman

No, I don't thing they are arrogant and most of them are champions of the of the sport with some big time anglers on the BOD who have pushed conservation measures in the past (ie tagging studies, circle hooks etc). But they are biased towards the offshore boating crowd who are in large part their members. So I doubt you ever see a shore div or a kayak div. I belonged for a long time but dropped them a year ago. If I catch a 90#er I may re-join.

(What made me upset was the blue fin tuna matter. The news letter had been highlighting how Europe and other countries are over harvesting to the almost to point of extinction. Then, they go on and accept a 2# fish as a record. This makes no sense to me. Personally I was hoping they would take more of a role in the international management of the species but little is getting done by anyone as far as I can see)

BTW, that was an impressive kayak catch down in VA. I am thinking of packing up the truck and going this season....REALLY! I just have to sell it to the wife. After a hard fished fall, Dec is normally a family month so if I blow it off and go to VA for a week or so it may cause some angst. Oh wait! She is going to the caribbean this spring with her sisters, I can use that as leverage

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 03-20-2008 at 07:07 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Hobie Wan

Up until a year or so ago, I was only aware of a couple of 50+lb striped bass caught from the yak (one was a 12 year old boy in Jersey).

This year, the boys in MD/VA got into a few during a short period in late 2007. I've heard of other stories, but was never able to confirm them.
Hobie Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
Green Light
Work hard. Fish harder.

Hobie Wan,

Call it a WAG or hypothesis, but I think we are going to start seeing more 50#'s via Kayak.

-Fish360
Old 03-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Hobie Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish360 View Post
Hobie Wan,

Call it a WAG or hypothesis, but I think we are going to start seeing more 50#'s via Kayak.

-Fish360
I 100% agree for primarily two reasons:

1. We are beginning to venture into a period where some of the strong year classes are now fish that are reaching or exceeding the 50lb mark. Therefore, there should be more cows swimming below the yaks over the next few years.

2. There are simply more kayak anglers out there and the odds of more 50's being caught should be expected based solely on percentages.

Hobie Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #8
Rick Ackley

Plus the fact of those small paddle boats can get into some tight places that those large fish like. And they are slow. A key point in trolling for those cows.
Rick Ackley is offline   Reply With Quote