Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Checks and Balances

A group of prominent Lawyers, members of the Federalist Society (that nest of #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s) have formed a group because they are concerned about things that are happening in the political sphere.

Their Mission statement is:
We are a group of attorneys who would traditionally be considered conservative or libertarian. We believe in the rule of law, the power of truth, the independence of the criminal justice system, the imperative of individual rights, and the necessity of civil discourse. We believe these principles apply regardless of the party or persons in power. We believe in "a government of laws, not of men."

We believe in the Constitution. We believe in free speech, a free press, separation of powers, and limited government. We have faith in the resiliency of the American experiment. We seek to provide a voice and a network for like-minded attorneys to discuss these ideas, and we hope that they will join with us to stand up for these principles.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

"A group of prominent Lawyers" - doomed from the start...

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 11-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
A group of prominent Lawyers, members of the Federalist Society (that nest of #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s) have formed a group because they are concerned about things that are happening in the political sphere.

Their Mission statement is:
We are a group of attorneys who would traditionally be considered conservative or libertarian. We believe in the rule of law, the power of truth, the independence of the criminal justice system, the imperative of individual rights, and the necessity of civil discourse. We believe these principles apply regardless of the party or persons in power. We believe in "a government of laws, not of men."

We believe in the Constitution. We believe in free speech, a free press, separation of powers, and limited government. We have faith in the resiliency of the American experiment. We seek to provide a voice and a network for like-minded attorneys to discuss these ideas, and we hope that they will join with us to stand up for these principles.

Good. Hopefully the actual "nest of #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s" (might be first time I have ever typed that moniker as I hate it) buys in because if they cherry pick just what they want it will be all for naught.

The American Experiment can be repaired but it is going to need both sides to come back to center, not continue their expanding fling thru the galaxy. If a Bernie is elected in 20 or 24 to replace a Trump then the pendulum has further swung and the cycle continues.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

I was being facetious with the nest comment, it's actually a conservative nest.
I've called Bernie "Limbaugh of the Left" for years because of his simplistic, populist viewpoint. It's easy for a politician to put forward a simple, elegant and incorrect solution for a problem, real solutions are hard.
Now what I would say about Bernie is that my brothers father in law was a lifelong Republican, Bank President and a pretty conservative fellow. He had issues with the VA and called Vermont's Republican and Democratic Senator with no result, a call to Bernie who was in the House at the time got a call back and results. He did his job and got that mans vote. Now that does not mean that he agreed with his views but at least Bernie knows who he works for.
We need politicians who are willing to work hard, build teams to accomplish things and acknowledge that getting some of what you want is OK.
People who are involved in local politics learn that not everybody agrees with them completely, but we all have common ground and common goals. Once they get out of town they forget that, or in some cases it may be that they never worked in local politics.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
detbuch

Quote:
We need politicians who are willing to work hard, build teams to accomplish things and acknowledge that getting some of what you want is OK.

That pretty much sounds like what we have. Except the OK part is more like THE BEST WE CAN GET (until next time).

People who are involved in local politics learn that not everybody agrees with them completely,

Again, that's pretty much a given at any level of government, or in life in general.

but we all have common ground and common goals.

There's very little, if any, of that in current party politics.

Once they get out of town they forget that, or in some cases it may be that they never worked in local politics.
Actually, they don't forget that. They take their town politics into a venue where the scope of federal political power is supposed to be smaller then that from whence they came. And so transfer the larger scope of local responsibilities to the federal level, adding them to those already enumerated as federal. That's the major difficulty we now have in maintaining a constitutional frame of government. It is the modern malady of constantly melding into a larger, more powerful, centralized government. Of course, you may not see that as a malady.

The Federalist group's notion of limited government and separation of powers probably differs from yours.

Last edited by detbuch; 11-15-2018 at 03:31 PM..
Old 11-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I knew you were being facetious, I counted on it

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
scottw

Quote:

Our Mission statement is:

We are a group of attorneys who would traditionally be considered moderate centrists. We don't believe in the rule of law, the power of truth, the independence of the criminal justice system, the imperative of individual rights, and the necessity of civil discourse. We don't believe these principles apply particularly for those of the other party or persons we didn't put in power. We believe in "a government of men, not of laws."

We don't believe in the Constitution. We don't believe in free speech, a free press, separation of powers, or limited government. We don't have faith in the resiliency of the American experiment. We seek to provide a voice and a network for like-minded attorneys to repeat these ideas, and we hope that they will join with us to protest for these principles.
really don't understand the point of Pete's post....what would have been surprising is if they wrote it this way...but then they'd be Democrats

Last edited by scottw; 11-15-2018 at 09:42 PM..
Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Speaking of checks and balances, it must be an uneasy dinner table at the Conway house, based on George Conway's podcast on Skullduggery.