Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Vintage Lures

Vintage Lures At the request of many members, a new S-B forum for the discussion of Vintage Lures

Old 04-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Flaptail

Question Need info....

So fill me in on Bob Hahn. Need a history lesson. NIB?

Thanks in advance, Flap.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Ask Peter he can probably help too

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
DZ

Flap,
What kind of info you looking for. I have an old J&J Catalog(1993) that offered many of his plugs with different descriptions of each. It says he made plugs out of cedar, basswood and pine depending on model. He made pencils, polaris, masterlure style poppers, Casting Pikie Style surface swimmers, Pregnant Surfsters, Trolling Pikies, Trolling Danny Style, Casting Danny Style, Atom 40 Style, Wooden Lip(Bottles), Montauk Style Darter, New England Style Darter, Atom Jrs, and needlefish. According to the catalog he produced a limited amount of plugs each year. Let me know if you need any other info.
DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
NOREASTER

Bob Hahn was from Pt. Pleasant, N.J. and was making plugs from 1986 until from early to mid 90's. If I am not mistaken Bob had his own business doing home improvements. He started selling his plugs to local tackle shops and they became so popular, that he eventually began selling them to shops in New York as well. When Bob stopped making lures in mid 90's they became a much sought after lure. Just recently, Bob (now living in Homosassa, FL) began selling plugs again. He had a web site displaying the models and colors he was offering but now the website directs you to eBay where he is selling them.

His earliest lures resembled a small atom 40 with the rounded head but with a surfster style lip. They had plastic eyes and had no grommets. He later made surfsters, pikies, jointed eels, darters and poppers. His lures weren't (aren't) fancy but they caught fish. Some of the plugs being made by members of this site are considerably nicer than than that of the Hahn's but there is a difference when you make six plugs compared to someone who is making them in quanity.
NOREASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
Flaptail

Smile

Well, thanks for the info all. I have bought a bunch of new "Homassa" Hahns. I have listened to a couple dealers shoot them down but the price is right, they are made better than the older ones, I soaked one over night in a pail of water and no swelling or splitting and they swim okay after a little tuning of lip and eye.

Mostly I like the big-ness of them. I plan on fishing them hard along a certain group of islands this year.

I like them a lot but then again what do I know?.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post

I like them a lot but then again what do I know?.

you know when the bass are in because you can feel them !
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote