Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-08-2022, 07:26 AM   #91
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
classic....
Classic what about
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-09-2022, 04:43 PM   #92
wdmso

Judge dismisses Trump lawsuit against Hillary Clinton over 2016 election
Old 09-11-2022, 06:06 AM   #93
Pete F.
Canceled

When you lose Judge Napolitano…..

It gives me no joy to write this piece.

Even a cursory review of the redacted version of the affidavit submitted in support of the government’s application for a search warrant at the home of former President Donald Trump reveals that he will soon be indicted by a federal grand jury for three crimes: Removing and concealing national defense information (NDI), giving NDI to those not legally entitled to possess it, and obstruction of justice by failing to return NDI to those who are legally entitled to retrieve it.

When he learned from a phone call that 30 FBI agents were at the front door of his Florida residence with a search warrant and he decided to reveal this publicly, Mr. Trump assumed that the agents were looking for classified top-secret materials that they’d allege he criminally possessed. His assumptions were apparently based on his gut instinct and not on a sophisticated analysis of the law. Hence, his public boast that he declassified all the formerly classified documents he took with him.

Unbeknownst to him, the feds had anticipated such a defense and are not preparing to indict him for possessing classified materials, even though he did possess hundreds of voluntarily surrendered materials marked “top secret.” It is irrelevant if the documents were declassified, as the feds will charge crimes that do not require proof of classification. They told the federal judge who signed the search warrant that Mr. Trump still had NDI in his home. It appears they were correct.

Under the law, it doesn’t matter if the documents on which NDI is contained are classified or not, as it is simply and always criminal to have NDI in a non-federal facility, to have those without security clearances move it from one place to another, and to keep it from the feds when they are seeking it. Stated differently, the absence of classification — for whatever reason — is not a defense to the charges that are likely to be filed against Mr. Trump.

Yet, misreading and underestimating the feds, Mr. Trump actually did them a favor. One of the elements that they must prove for any of the three crimes is that Mr. Trump knew that he had the documents. The favor he did was admit to that when he boasted that they were no longer classified. He committed a mortal sin in the criminal defense world by denying something for which he had not been accused.

The second element that the feds must prove is that the documents actually do contain national defense information. And the third element they must prove is that Mr. Trump put these documents into the hands of those not authorized to hold them and stored them in a non-federally secured place. Intelligence community experts have already examined the documents taken from Mr. Trump’s home and are prepared to tell a jury that they contain the names of foreign agents secretly working for the U.S. This is the crown jewel of government secrets. Moreover, Mr. Trump’s Florida home is not a secure federal facility designated for the deposit of NDI.

The newest aspect of the case against Mr. Trump that we learned from the redacted affidavit is the obstruction allegation. This is not the obstruction that Robert Mueller claimed he found Mr. Trump committed during the Russia investigation. This is a newer obstruction statute, signed by President George W. Bush in 2002, that places far fewer burdens on the feds to prove. The older statute is the one Mr. Mueller alleged. It characterizes any material interference with a judicial function as criminal. Thus, one who lies to a grand jury or prevents a witness from testifying commits this variant of obstruction.

But the Bush-era statute, the one the feds contemplate charging Mr. Trump with having violated, makes it a crime of obstruction by failing to return government property or by sending the FBI on a wild goose chase looking for something that belongs to the government and that you know that you have. This statute does not require the preexistence of a judicial proceeding. It only requires that the defendant has the government’s property, knows that he has it and baselessly resists efforts by the government to get it back.

Where does all this leave Mr. Trump? The short answer is: in hot water. The longer answer is: He is confronting yet again the federal law enforcement and intelligence communities for which he has rightly expressed such public disdain. He had valid points of expression during the Russia investigation. He has little ground upon which to stand today.

I have often argued that many of these statutes that the feds have enacted to protect themselves are morally unjust and not grounded in the Constitution. One of my intellectual heroes, the great Murray Rothbard, taught that the government protects itself far more aggressively than it protects our natural rights.

In a monumental irony, both Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks journalist who exposed American war crimes during the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, and Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency employee who exposed criminal mass government surveillance upon the American public, stand charged with the very same crimes that are likely to be brought against Mr. Trump. On both Mr. Assange and Mr. Snowden, Mr. Trump argued that they should be executed. Fortunately for all three, these statutes do not provide for capital punishment.

Mr. Rothbard warned that the feds aggressively protect themselves. Yet, both Mr. Assange and Mr. Snowden are heroic defenders of liberty with valid moral and legal defenses. Mr. Assange is protected by the Pentagon Papers case, which insulates the media from criminal or civil liability for revealing stolen matters of interest to the public, so long as the revealer is not the thief. Mr. Snowden is protected by the Constitution, which expressly prohibits the warrantless surveillance he revealed, which was the most massive peacetime abuse of government power.

What will Mr. Trump say in his defense to taking national defense information? I cannot think of a legally viable one.

• Andrew P. Napolitano is a former professor of law and judge of the Superior Court of New Jersey who has published nine books on the U.S. Constitution.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:46 AM   #94
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
When you lose Judge Napolitano…..

It gives me no joy to write this piece.

Even a cursory review of the redacted version of the affidavit submitted in support of the government’s application for a search warrant at the home of former President Donald Trump reveals that he will soon be indicted by a federal grand jury for three crimes: Removing and concealing national defense information (NDI), giving NDI to those not legally entitled to possess it, and obstruction of justice by failing to return NDI to those who are legally entitled to retrieve it.

When he learned from a phone call that 30 FBI agents were at the front door of his Florida residence with a search warrant and he decided to reveal this publicly, Mr. Trump assumed that the agents were looking for classified top-secret materials that they’d allege he criminally possessed. His assumptions were apparently based on his gut instinct and not on a sophisticated analysis of the law. Hence, his public boast that he declassified all the formerly classified documents he took with him.

Unbeknownst to him, the feds had anticipated such a defense and are not preparing to indict him for possessing classified materials, even though he did possess hundreds of voluntarily surrendered materials marked “top secret.” It is irrelevant if the documents were declassified, as the feds will charge crimes that do not require proof of classification. They told the federal judge who signed the search warrant that Mr. Trump still had NDI in his home. It appears they were correct.

Under the law, it doesn’t matter if the documents on which NDI is contained are classified or not, as it is simply and always criminal to have NDI in a non-federal facility, to have those without security clearances move it from one place to another, and to keep it from the feds when they are seeking it. Stated differently, the absence of classification — for whatever reason — is not a defense to the charges that are likely to be filed against Mr. Trump.

Yet, misreading and underestimating the feds, Mr. Trump actually did them a favor. One of the elements that they must prove for any of the three crimes is that Mr. Trump knew that he had the documents. The favor he did was admit to that when he boasted that they were no longer classified. He committed a mortal sin in the criminal defense world by denying something for which he had not been accused.

The second element that the feds must prove is that the documents actually do contain national defense information. And the third element they must prove is that Mr. Trump put these documents into the hands of those not authorized to hold them and stored them in a non-federally secured place. Intelligence community experts have already examined the documents taken from Mr. Trump’s home and are prepared to tell a jury that they contain the names of foreign agents secretly working for the U.S. This is the crown jewel of government secrets. Moreover, Mr. Trump’s Florida home is not a secure federal facility designated for the deposit of NDI.

The newest aspect of the case against Mr. Trump that we learned from the redacted affidavit is the obstruction allegation. This is not the obstruction that Robert Mueller claimed he found Mr. Trump committed during the Russia investigation. This is a newer obstruction statute, signed by President George W. Bush in 2002, that places far fewer burdens on the feds to prove. The older statute is the one Mr. Mueller alleged. It characterizes any material interference with a judicial function as criminal. Thus, one who lies to a grand jury or prevents a witness from testifying commits this variant of obstruction.

But the Bush-era statute, the one the feds contemplate charging Mr. Trump with having violated, makes it a crime of obstruction by failing to return government property or by sending the FBI on a wild goose chase looking for something that belongs to the government and that you know that you have. This statute does not require the preexistence of a judicial proceeding. It only requires that the defendant has the government’s property, knows that he has it and baselessly resists efforts by the government to get it back.

Where does all this leave Mr. Trump? The short answer is: in hot water. The longer answer is: He is confronting yet again the federal law enforcement and intelligence communities for which he has rightly expressed such public disdain. He had valid points of expression during the Russia investigation. He has little ground upon which to stand today.

I have often argued that many of these statutes that the feds have enacted to protect themselves are morally unjust and not grounded in the Constitution. One of my intellectual heroes, the great Murray Rothbard, taught that the government protects itself far more aggressively than it protects our natural rights.

In a monumental irony, both Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks journalist who exposed American war crimes during the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, and Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency employee who exposed criminal mass government surveillance upon the American public, stand charged with the very same crimes that are likely to be brought against Mr. Trump. On both Mr. Assange and Mr. Snowden, Mr. Trump argued that they should be executed. Fortunately for all three, these statutes do not provide for capital punishment.

Mr. Rothbard warned that the feds aggressively protect themselves. Yet, both Mr. Assange and Mr. Snowden are heroic defenders of liberty with valid moral and legal defenses. Mr. Assange is protected by the Pentagon Papers case, which insulates the media from criminal or civil liability for revealing stolen matters of interest to the public, so long as the revealer is not the thief. Mr. Snowden is protected by the Constitution, which expressly prohibits the warrantless surveillance he revealed, which was the most massive peacetime abuse of government power.

What will Mr. Trump say in his defense to taking national defense information? I cannot think of a legally viable one.

• Andrew P. Napolitano is a former professor of law and judge of the Superior Court of New Jersey who has published nine books on the U.S. Constitution.
No republicans or conservatives will read this . Or even consider the source

They only believe Rudy and Alan Dershowitz or their latest hero #^&#^&#^&#^& Morris no other legal views are required
Old 09-11-2022, 07:34 PM   #95
Pete F.
Canceled

Today marks the 21 year anniversary of Donald Trump boasting on tape that he now has the tallest building in lower Manhattan.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:44 AM   #96
wdmso

Seems MAGA meaning has changed again

to “making attorneys get attorneys.”
Old 09-12-2022, 07:01 AM   #97
Nebe

Quote:
Today marks the 21 year anniversary of Donald Trump boasting on tape that he now has the tallest building in lower Manhattan.
Which was a lie of course.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #98
PaulS

Quote:
As if anyone need a reminder what a vile person he is.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:20 AM   #99
Pete F.
Canceled

One thing is now abundantly clear: Trump is the target of multiple DOJ investigations.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:10 PM   #100
Pete F.
Canceled

The Special Master has asked Trump's team for declarations re: *any actions* he's taken to declassify material that was recovered from MAL. Trump's team stated in a filing tonight that it is *resisting* that request because it could expose Trump to criminal liability. LMFAO
Old 09-20-2022, 08:03 AM   #101
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump wanted a Special Master. Thanks to corrupt Judge Cannon, he got it. Trump’s team suggested Dearie. They got him. Now Dearie is asking Trump to back up his claims. By end of week Scott, Trump & GOP will attack Dearie and claim it’s all rigged. Media will parrot the talking points. Jim will find a whatabout……
Old 09-20-2022, 08:17 AM   #102
scottw

Quote:

Thanks to corrupt Judge Cannon,

By end of week Scott, Trump & GOP will attack Dearie and claim it’s all rigged. Media will parrot the talking points. Jim will find a whatabout……

you are an idiot
Old 09-20-2022, 12:12 PM   #103
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
you are an idiot
Well, Troll you’re a …….troll

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-21-2022, 03:46 AM   #104
scottw

it's devastating to be called a troll by an idiot

hey, why are you no longer constantly updating us and gloating over all of the polling showing democrats winning in November?
Old 09-21-2022, 07:03 AM   #105
PaulS

Quote:
it's devastating to be called a troll by an idiot

hey, why are you no longer constantly updating us and gloating over all of the polling showing democrats winning in November?
I wouldn't call you a troll. I would call you a snarky troll.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:12 AM   #106
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I wouldn't call you a troll. I would call you a snarky troll.
coming from a 4th grader...I guess that's fine
Old 09-21-2022, 07:25 AM   #107
PaulS

Quote:
coming from a 4th grader...I guess that's fine
In fifth now
Old 09-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #108
scottw

Quote:
In fifth now
I guess repeating 4th grade really paid off for you...congrats!
Old 09-21-2022, 11:28 AM   #109
Albie1guy

NY AG Lawsuit

New lawsuit by NY AG against Trump and his 3 kids for $250 mil could put him out of doing business in NY

albie1guy
Old 09-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #110
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie1guy View Post
New lawsuit by NY AG against Trump and his 3 kids for $250 mil could put him out of doing business in NY
and she's twittering up a storm about it today...apparently she plans to try this case on twitter
Old 09-21-2022, 12:20 PM   #111
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Hard to keep track of how many investigations or law suits are coming his way, he is going to make Nixon look like a Boy Scout.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:05 PM   #112
PaulS

Today was an especially bad day for Donald Trump. If you put on Fox News you could hear all about Hillary.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:24 AM   #113
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Hard to keep track of how many investigations or law suits are coming his way, he is going to make Nixon look like a Boy Scout.
crazy ain't it?

trump makes nixon look good

brandon makes jimmy cater look good

actually, with brandon sending the fbi and justice after his political enemies

brandon makes nixon look good too.....
Old 09-22-2022, 03:26 AM   #114
scottw

Quote:

If you put on Fox News you could hear all about Hillary.

is she still claiming trump's victory over her was illegitimate?
Old 09-22-2022, 03:55 AM   #115
scottw

Quote:

Today was an especially bad day for Donald Trump.

it's fun when their bombshells blow up in their faces....

@KurtSchlichter
Let's get real - if they thought they had Trump they would have filed a criminal case, but they have to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt. A civil suit is a preponderance of the evidence. They had no criminal case. They chose civil "fraud" to impress dumb people.

Bill Barr...the left's new darling for criticizing trump recently...

"Bill Barr calls New York's Trump lawsuit a 'political hit job': Former AG calls $250 million case a result of 'Trump Derangement Syndrome' - and dragging his children in his a 'gross overreach' Barr said she filed a civil suit because she 'doesn't have the evidence to make a criminal case' "
Old 09-22-2022, 05:52 AM   #116
wdmso

Quote:
it's fun when their bombshells blow up in their faces....

@KurtSchlichter
Let's get real - if they thought they had Trump they would have filed a criminal case, but they have to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt. A civil suit is a preponderance of the evidence. They had no criminal case. They chose civil "fraud" to impress dumb people.

Bill Barr...the left's new darling for criticizing trump recently...

"Bill Barr calls New York's Trump lawsuit a 'political hit job': Former AG calls $250 million case a result of 'Trump Derangement Syndrome' - and dragging his children in his a 'gross overreach' Barr said she filed a civil suit because she 'doesn't have the evidence to make a criminal case' "

Funny it was fine when they did the same thing to OJ

So Trumps special FYI there is more than one way to skin a cat under the law .. so they bear responsibility for thier deed

But it appears the faithful only respect the law when Trump uses it to obstruct and delay any from of accountability

Of course Scott we don’t read a comment about Trumps behaviors?

One would conclude you support his tax cheating.. but of course you’ll reply you never said that
Old 09-22-2022, 05:55 AM   #117
wdmso

Quote:

actually, with brandon sending the fbi and justice after his political enemies
Quote:

Spoken like the true cult member we all know you are ..
Old 09-22-2022, 06:48 AM   #118
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Funny it was fine when they did the same thing to OJ
I think the families of those stabbed to death filed civil charges...

"three civil suits for wrongful death had been filed against O.J. Simpson: by Fred Goldman, father of Ron Goldman; by Ron's mother, Sharon Rufo, who had divorced Fred when Ron was six years old; and by the Brown family."
Old 09-22-2022, 06:49 AM   #119
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
[COLOR="SandyBrown"]

cult member

keep repeating....maybe make a sign and stand at the corner of your street...with pete
Old 09-22-2022, 07:28 AM   #120
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Pete and Wayne on there way to a day of posting in the political forum