Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Also known as the "Arrivederci MSNBC and CNN" bill

McCain to Introduce 'A La Carte' Cable TV Bill
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Why doenst McCain keep his nose our of private business and let companies and consumers vote with their wallets?
More Government Invtervention Jim.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Agree on that, send these guys on a 2 yr vacation so they can't pass anymore
legislation. There are something like 800,000 business regulations on the books
right now.

" Choose Life "
Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Why doenst McCain keep his nose our of private business and let companies and consumers vote with their wallets?
"Why doenst McCain keep his nose our of private business..."

Here's why...because this industry has huge barriers to entry, and is therefore controlled by a small number of companies, who have gotten together and decided to force me to buy channels that I don't want.

When it comes to deciding between Coke or Pepsi, it's easy for me to vote with my wallet, because switching involves no inconvenience whatsoever. It's not that simple when it comes to things like TV. It's harder to switch than it is with soda, and hard to do without.

"More Government Invtervention Jim"

I'm not an anarchist, I don't view government intervention as always bad. In this case, government intervention will give us a little more freedom, and allow me to save a few bucks.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
buckman

Thier is new Internet technology that's going to make cable companies have to compete however we will probably have government step in and it will cost to consumers more. They have to make sure they get their piece of the pie.
I believe Netflix is now sarting to develop their own shows.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
spence

The bill will never work. A lot of that cable bill is really paying for the long-term capital invement in the infrastructure to actually deliver the signal to your home.

It's not going to destroy MSNBC Jim, if anything you'll see FOX News subscribers subsidizing MSNBC and CNN viewers through artifically higher rates because they know they can get them.

-spence
Old 05-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Thier is new Internet technology that's going to make cable companies have to compete however we will probably have government step in and it will cost to consumers more. They have to make sure they get their piece of the pie.
I believe Netflix is now sarting to develop their own shows.
Yep....10 years from now cable will be reduced to an ISP......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The bill will never work. A lot of that cable bill is really paying for the long-term capital invement in the infrastructure to actually deliver the signal to your home.

It's not going to destroy MSNBC Jim, if anything you'll see FOX News subscribers subsidizing MSNBC and CNN viewers through artifically higher rates because they know they can get them.

-spence
I agree this bill won't pass. But everyone in the TV industry predicts that TV will be a la carte within 10 years, and when that day comes, you tell me how MSNBC survives. The ratings are abysmal.

"A lot of that cable bill is really paying for the long-term capital invement in the infrastructure to actually deliver the signal to your home"

Then let me buy the stations I want, at a price that allows them to operate. I shouldn't have to fund channels that are immoral.

So you're saying that businesses have the right to re-coup capital investment costs, via the products they sell? I agree. But not many on your side would agree with that, otherwise they wouldn't be demonizing health insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies, etc...if you continue to show your capilatistic side, you might have to turn in your membership card to the young Bolsheviks klub.

Do you still believe that the IRS targeting conservatives wasn't political? And when are you going to post support for your notion that the Libyan government stopped us from sending in special forcesa in Benghazi?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
Raven

the injection of commercials has over peaked
people will begin to disconnect