Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
FishnGrega

curious about color

I was wondering why BI green or any green is so hot? What does the color mimic? Is it a day time color or night time? Is it good to use in muddy waters? Just curious that's all.
FishnGrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnGrega View Post
I was wondering why BI green or any green is so hot? What does the color mimic? Is it a day time color or night time? Is it good to use in muddy waters? Just curious that's all.
The plug shape, action, and vibration mimic the bait,,, The color (shading) is what the fish will see to determine whether or not to strike.

It can be a good day, night, and muddy water color,,,, So can a few others,,,

Last edited by GattaFish; 11-18-2009 at 12:17 PM..
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
FishnGrega

But what I'm wondering is why people flock to green. No offense but that would be like saying you can use any plug and color throughout the whole day in any condition.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnGrega View Post
But what I'm wondering is why people flock to green. No offense but that would be like saying you can use any plug and color throughout the whole day in any condition.

YES any condition that it can be effective,, as long as the vibration draws the fish and the color is in the fishes visual spectrum it will work ,,,,, I have used dark red, olive, white, black, green, yellow and others to catch fish in bright conditions this year alone.... some of those dark colors in the middle of the day.... The whole bright light bright colors-dark colors dark night theory is a general statement and in lots of cases is true ,,, but not always...

If it does not mimic the bait well enough or the fish can’t see it you get the big SKUNK.

One step further…

The plug shape, action, and vibration (sound) mimic the bait. Long before a bass sees color it will sense the vibration through the lateral lines on its sides,,, This causes it to be attracted to the plug that is mimicking the bait. I am not going to get into scent or smell which travels very far in the water because that is another ballgame,,, just hope that the fish is overwhelmed with vibration, hunger and color so that it strikes.

When the fish gets a visual on the plug it closes the gap based on colors in its visual spectrum (what it sees). Starting in the middle of its visual spectrum will be Chartreuse and working outward in the ultraviolet region will be shades of green. Green including bright green is still fairly close to the center of that spectrum and can be seen very well in various conditions. Hence being an effective color.

A striper has enough cones to see colors… although most of its eye is made up of rods which is why it can see so well at night. Rods are known to see various shades of grey instead of color. From what I have read the rods and cones of a striped bass actually change positions on the retina based on the level of light.

A stripers vision is not near as keen a sense as their sense of sound (vibration) and smell.
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
FishnGrega

alright cool thanks for the info. I wonder why the greens are so underground in the plugging world. It must be a sharpie secret
Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Thumper

more importantly your presentation and the structure you are presenting it to. you could have the hot plug and color on the end of your line but with out that presentation you will usually come up short. remember the big stripen bass sit and wait at ambush points, present a plug that has the right profile of the bait present and hold on. i choose confidence over color any day when it come to plug selection there are however exceptions like "block island green"
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
mizzle

cloudy lures.
mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Zeal
Always a Rookie

If you are going to wonder about color its simple really. A really well known surf-caster in The Fisherman magazine years ago was featured as he was known for being able to pull cows consistently and it was noted that in his bag everything was a shade of green. When he was asked about the color he simply replied, "Just about everything the stripers eat have a shade of green color. You don't see black baitfish do you?" And it's true, sand eels, eels, spearing, etc. have shades of green in them. Basically green covers the general population of what a striper usually runs into. Does it make green superior over other colors? Not necessarily but its a good point.

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote