Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #31
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
What is it about her that makes you want to puke? The fact that she loves the outdoors, or the fact that she loves her husband and kids, or the fact that she had the compassion to give birth to a baby with Downs, or the fact that she raised her son to love his country enough to serve in the Army, or do you hate the fact that she had enough integrity to expose political corruption even in her own party?

Or is it her politics you hate? Do you hate the fact that she thinks unborn babies have the right to live, or the fact the she wants to kill terrorists, or the fact that she believes in low taxes, or the fact that she wants to keep the feds out of your face as much as possible?

Maybe you buy into the notion that she's stupid, because she has said some dumb things on camera? Well, Obama has been caught on film saying there are 57 states in the US, and that Europe is a country...but he gets a pass. And Joe Biden has put his foot in his mouth enough times to keep the writers at Saturday Night Live busy for the next decade.

I am a conservative who would never vote for Gov Palin in a primary, IO have my reasons. But all the personal hatred ticks me off. Unlike most politicians, she was not born rich. From humble beginnings, she became the best governor in the entire country (based on the fact that she had the highest approval ratings of any governor). As governor, she lowered taxes, balanced the budget, and did all that without hurting her state's economy. That sounds pretty good to me. Maybe you know politicians who have done better?
You are one of the few, if not only person that posts on SB that I always agree with.
You think she'd be applauded from coming from a working class background, blue collar family, great family realtionships, career woman balancing priorities - you think she'd be on Oprah with a standing ovation. But nope, her politics and popularity are held against her. We have brilliant female minds like Whoopi Goldberg to look up to!
I would NOT vote for her, but I have tremendous respect for her. Ask yourself this. your kids have 2 weeks to spend with a family over the summer. WHo would you choose, Barak Obama, Hillary Clinton or Sarah Palin? Its a no brainer for me. They'd have a blast with the Palin's and learn a ton.
And honestly, would any of you trust Bill Clinton with your daughters?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
You are one of the few, if not only person that posts on SB that I always agree with.
You think she'd be applauded from coming from a working class background, blue collar family, great family realtionships, career woman balancing priorities - you think she'd be on Oprah with a standing ovation. But nope, her politics and popularity are held against her. We have brilliant female minds like Whoopi Goldberg to look up to!
I would NOT vote for her, but I have tremendous respect for her. Ask yourself this. your kids have 2 weeks to spend with a family over the summer. WHo would you choose, Barak Obama, Hillary Clinton or Sarah Palin? Its a no brainer for me. They'd have a blast with the Palin's and learn a ton.
You're right. In addition to all I mentioned, she also raised her kids without any domestic help, and her family is obviously very close-knit.

The irationality of the hatred against her is unbelievable to me. If you want to disagree with her politics, that's fair. But Palin attacks are almost always personal, never based on issues.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #33
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL. I have never watched MSNBC before. Don't waste your time trying to debate politics with me. I am sure you are more informed than me. Not a fair fight. I am just a blue collar worker from very modest beginnings plodding along waiting for spring so i can go outside and do what I enjoy. I don't live in Alaska either so I really don't care what she did. Just sick of seeing her face on TV I guess. I did say Alaska in beautiful

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #34
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Prof M has no skin in this game. He is an innocent bystander that really cant stand Palin from the surface

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 12-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
LOL. I have never watched MSNBC before. Don't waste your time trying to debate politics with me. I am sure you are more informed than me. Not a fair fight. I am just a blue collar worker from very modest beginnings plodding along waiting for spring so i can go outside and do what I enjoy. I don't live in Alaska either so I really don't care what she did. Just sick of seeing her face on TV I guess. I did say Alaska in beautiful
Before you decide that someone makes you want to puke, maybe you should know a little bit about her.

If I had a kid with Downs to take care of, and I knew that kid would need care after I was gone, and someone offered me 50 grand to make an appearance on TV, you bet I'd do it. If someone offered me a fe wmillion to write a book, I'd do it. If someone offered me a couple of million to do that show, I'd do it in a nanosecond. Wouldn't you? If so, you shouldn't criticize her.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #36
Mr. Sandman

Pretty amazing women if you ask me. A lot of kids in this country should have a mother (/family) like her.
That said, I think the show is an obvious infomercial trying to inform the public about her life, because up till now the liberal media has told you what they want you to hear. This sort of bypasses them and it pisses them off. (Ie. instead of trying to trap her(and embarrass) with questions she does not have an answer to right off the top of her head in front of a lot of people)

Alaska is a beautiful state that few have seen. She was a good state leader and a person with good values. I think she probably would not make the best president but I would like to see her in a significant role in the federal government.

The media today sucks. They can embarrass anyone to the point of not running. And I think it limits us as a country because great leaders will not step up (or should I say step in?) for the job.

If I had my choice for 2012 it would be Mitt Romney / Bill Frist. These two guys can both lead, and Bill knows the REAL heath care issues better than anyone in the US. But I doubt that this will happen...mainly because of the media.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #37
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
She was a good state leader
Until she quit halfway through her term to be a celebrity.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Now THAT is a valid, legitimate dig against her. I was very disappointed when she quit.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #39
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
The media today sucks. They can embarrass anyone to the point of not running. And I think it limits us as a country because great leaders will not step up (or should I say step in?) for the job.
Bingo....there is no truer statement than that

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #40
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I said she makes me want to puke not that I hated her, I don't really hate anyone, well Yankee fans are pretty close. You are probably a Yankee fan right? Oh boy I guess I am off your xmas list. TBO I really don't have an educated opinion on her politics. I don't follow politics and offered my opinion on vomiting not even considering her political affiliation. I personally have just seen enough of her. If I want to see Alaska I'll watch the Nat Geo channel. I tried to watch an episode and I couldn't make it thru the whole thing. She ruined it for me. That is why I said what i said. For the record i 'm not an Oprah or Whoppie fan either. I am entitled to my opinion as you are. I guess this is why I never get involved with these type of discussion's on line. 2 people with different feelings. Let it be that . You don't have to sell me on her. I don't dislike you because you feel that way. Your probably a great guy. I don't really care to know anything about her. Good for her for overcoming all her obstacles in life and being a great governor. I am just sick of seeing her on the TV, along with Lindsey Lowhan, Justin Beiber, Dr. Phil, Oprah, . Just not in to self promoting people I guess.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #41
fishbones

Quote:
Professor, you shouldn't be watching tv anyways. You should get back to building some more of those awesome plugs you make. Plugfest is coming up and I'm looking forward to seeing some beauties from you.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 12-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #42
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
bridge to nowhere
pebble while lying to the fishermen saying she supports them

NEVER FORGET!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 12-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #43
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL. I just got caught with my foot in my mouth again, won't be the last time either. The gentleman felt like he had to come to her defense for reasons I did not think about when I made my puke editorial. He had his say and I had mine. As far as the political aspect of this discussion goes, which I never considered, send it to the forum that I never venture too and you guys can beat it to death with fellow fisherman that are way more informed than I . It will much more challenging and you will have a much better time than sparing with a dim wit like me. I think i'll go look at Katy Perry's breast's again. Happy Holiday's.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #44
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
You gotta do what you gotta do. She felt that she had to do this to combat the foes aimed solely at personal destruction. Clearly she is going to run in the primary, and this gives her more positive face time than she would have gotten from MSNBC. Besides, she is smart...she is taking advantage of America's insane love of reality shows...she is getting an audience.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
You gotta do what you gotta do. She felt that she had to do this to combat the foes aimed solely at personal destruction. Clearly she is going to run in the primary, and this gives her more positive face time than she would have gotten from MSNBC. Besides, she is smart...she is taking advantage of America's insane love of reality shows...she is getting an audience.
I hope she doesn't run. I think the perfect job for her would be head of the Republican National Committee...she gets people excited, she gets people to show up, and for darn sure she raises money.

If she ran today, I think she'd win the primary and lose the general to Obama. If the economy doesn't get worse, I don't think she can beat him. If the economy does what I'm afraid it's going to do (take a big step towards Greece, because inflation can only go up, interest rates can only go up, housing prices can only go down, Israel is about to attack Iran) she will win. If unemployment and mortgage rates are both at 11.5%, and the Dow is at 6,000, she wins.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #46
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

And I just liked the scenery and thought her family was pretty interesting! Good posts here though! I thought her husbands fishing business was interesting to. I never knew they fished for salmon like that out there. The halibut trip was a little dissapointing though and kinda boring. Though I did laugh a little when she was in the hold icing down the fish and she was getting a little sick from it. I'm not sure I'm as in love with her as some guys are though. I think she is attractive and smarter than given credit for. What a great country we live in!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #47
Zeno

Quote:
the only reason she is reaping anything is she is a fairly good looking female. If she was an ugly old bat no one would care.
yeah, Hillary would agree with that statement

Old 12-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #48
Adam_777

Ever since she passed the bill to dump the toxic waste in one of the Alaskan lakes and claimed it would be better for the fisheries I hate her and always will.If I did manage took get up in that.Donkey punch for sure.Maybe twice.Everything that she says is a lie and this is all a big show leading up to something bigger.Look at the wall and read the damn writing.I'd rather watch anyone else explore Alaska and all it has to offer.Even though if they could they would separate from the US if they had a say.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #49
spence

I think it's reasonable that she can't be a total dunce as she did become Gov before she hit the spotlight.

That being said, had she not had looks it's fair to assume she wouldn't have been picked for McCain's gamble.

Had she not been thrust into the spotlight, it's fair to assume we wouldn't even know who she was.

Today we have Palin's Alaska, Bristol on DWTS and Levi in Playgirl.

I say good for them.

But to think Palin's current position in the GOP is about HER STRENGTH is absurd. She's being used by the media as a novelty and the GOP is laughing all the way to the bank.

-spence
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #50
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_777 View Post
Ever since she passed the bill to dump the toxic waste in one of the Alaskan lakes and claimed it would be better for the fisheries I hate her and always will.If I did manage took get up in that.Donkey punch for sure.Maybe twice.Everything that she says is a lie and this is all a big show leading up to something bigger.Look at the wall and read the damn writing.I'd rather watch anyone else explore Alaska and all it has to offer.Even though if they could they would separate from the US if they had a say.
But she went fishing!

Such a scam artist.

Puck Febble.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #51
stripermaineiac

Funny part is with this and the last election she may be the ist female presidential candidate that might be someone to look at. Ilooked at her political record up there an she's a sight better than the bozo in the white house right now. Plus she can prove she came from here.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #52
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I knew it was inevitable......I cast ye into the Pit of Despair.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-04-2010, 05:26 AM   #53
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I knew it was inevitable......I cast ye into the Pit of Despair.
Spence is right, fortunate timing for her....she hit a home run with her first National appearance and has been fueled by BOTH those that hate her and those that love her ever since....

does this inject some new blood into the political forum?....
Old 12-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #54
Raven

...............old blood havin fun....

don't want a cranky female President.... like her

one with vision and POWER yes

she's to much of a Mommy dearest
Old 12-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #55
scottw

we could use a few new bloods to replace those that Spence unleashed his brain on and chased away forever
Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #56
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Wink

P. be careful, don't get sucked in, remember what happened to me on TMOA
plug swap. I shoulda listenend to you.
Now listen to me.

" Choose Life "
Old 12-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #57
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL . Hey Dave always great to hear from you.Yes Dave. Every once in a while I post something in this forum and then very soon after I realize I am not in Kansas anymore and I am exposed for the nit wit I really am. I am heeding your warning. I am out of my element here. It's a pretty scary place.. I only look in here once in a while, but I'm usually just peeking. I thought i would be ok because this didn't start in here it was on the main fishing forum where I feel comfortable but I should have know it was just a sting operation and I got bagged. I'll stick to music where I can just delete anything I don't like. Have a great X mas Dave. P.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #58
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
LOL . Hey Dave always great to hear from you.Yes Dave. Every once in a while I post something in this forum and then very soon after I realize I am not in Kansas anymore and I am exposed for the nit wit I really am. I am heeding your warning. I am out of my element here. It's a pretty scary place.. I only look in here once in a while, but I'm usually just peeking. I thought i would be ok because this didn't start in here it was on the main fishing forum where I feel comfortable but I should have know it was just a sting operation and I got bagged. I'll stick to music where I can just delete anything I don't like. Have a great X mas Dave. P.
Too funnie, ya, an addictive sting operation.
Merry Christmas to you and your family too, P.

" Choose Life "
Old 12-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #59
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:

I feel the same way in this forum. I promise i wasn't trying to expose you here!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 12-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #60
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

No problem I took the bait hook, line an sinker. You set me up. I'm just waiting for Conn. Jim to come into the music forum and say he doesn't like some musician's style. Then I can show what a real moron I am. With my luck he is probably a closet music aficionado and I'll be humbled again, but no one will ever see it because I got the inside track