Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Hesh2, Iceman's dad, passed yesterday

I just saw from his son Bill, that Walter Haesche, a/k/a Hesh2, passed away yesterday.

There is nothing I can add to Bill's wonderful tribute to his dad beyond hugs to the family, and Godspeed.

Quote:
My Father Walter R Haesche passed away yesterday. He died of a lonely heart. I take comfort in knowing that he is with my Mother Marianne in Heaven. I believe he is in a better place with my Mom, I also believe in Heaven and in God. Knowing my father though, he might not get to see my Mom immediately as he’s most likely going to spend some time in Purgatory first.

What can you say about a guy who meant everything to you? The Man who raised 4 Children and had 3 boys and then went for the girl and got her. The Man who you knew you better do the best you could and to do well in school, finish your chores, and help out your Mother at all times or there would be consequences. Not like today’s consequences where you get a pat on the back! The Man who always stressed to us that he wanted ALL of his children to do better than he did and be more successful than him. The very same Man who paid for braces for us all of us, sent us all to private high schools, Notre Dame and Sacred Heart respectively. The Man who paid for our college educations, and if that were not enough, my MBA. My head spins trying to raise 2 children, I don’t know how he raised 4.

My Dad had two passions in life, hockey and fishing and he was very good at both. This guy had me skating at age 3, most kids were 5 and 6. I remember “whipping” around the ice with the chair and him following me then soon enough I didn’t need the chair anymore. He Coached both my brothers and myself. He even became Hamden Youth Hockey President and his name will remain in eternity in the Home of the Green Dragons rink. He went on to say that taking that position was a nightmare, it wasn’t the kids necessarily but dealing with the Parents. Sound familiar? I think we face the same challenges today. Meet the new Boss same as the old Boss.

This same man, who in my entire hockey career, only missed one of my hockey games as he had to work that day. Just one game missed in maybe a 1,000? It was a semi-final high-school game against new powerhouse Immaculate. We were down 1-0 with three minutes remaining. I popped 2 quick G’s thanks to great passes by Kevin Baker and we won 2-1. We won the D1 State Championship that year. I was so excited to tell him, when I got home we both cried. That was the first time I ever saw my Dad cry. He was a man’s man.

Countless hours spent on the road driving me to Connecticut Cup, Europa Cup, Hockey Night in Boston, All Star Teams, Special Tournaments, and Hockey Camps. You name it and my Dad was always there for me. Playing in college for the RWU Hawks, in 4 years, either home or away, my father never missed a game! They built a warming room just for him at our home rink the Portsmouth Abbey. I always played the game of hockey trying to please my Dad and make him proud of me. That sentiment extended throughout my entire life, I was always trying to please the old man and make him proud. The thing I like best about my Dad was that he would never sit with other parents during my hockey games, he would always stand on the glass in the corner of the opposing goalie and he loved to watch me score and I didn’t disappoint him. He just didn’t want to deal with the nonsense of other parents and liked to enjoy the game by himself and had to be really in the rink and not in the stands to experience the game firsthand. I followed his lead and watch the game the same way watching the GH’s.

My Dad was the best fisherman I knew. He always had a big smile on his face while fishing. Always willing to share knowledge with other fisherman. Every fish for my father, was like catching his first fish. He got so excited when he landed a fish. My Dad always out -casted me even at age 77, he was a master caster. And unlike his son who is a killer, my dad always practiced catch and release before it was fashionable to catch and release fish. Let every fish go! Many countless days and nights fishing with him at Chatham Inlet, the Back Beaches of Cape Cod all the way to Race Point, the Bird Sanctuary and Short Beach in Milford, Madison, and off the beaches and breachways of Rhode Island. I remember him being 72 and he was standing on the end rock at Weekapaug Breachway crushing fish after fish with a big smile across his face. Way too old to be on an end rock with crashing surf all around him, I could only admire his tenacity and pure love for the sport of fishing. He tired me out that day! My Dad pretty much in his retirement fished every single day of his life.

My Dad was a grease monkey all his life. Working at the gas station since age 15. Fixing cars and pumping gas, his work ethic was second to none. He would go on to say later in life how cold those concrete floors were in January when he was on his back fixing cars. He could fix anything and it wasn’t only limited to cars, he could fix any appliance you name it, he had the one thing I struggle with the most, patience. My Dad had an awesome set of tools which he kept meticulously in order. He went into business with his Father which is never easy and my Dad did all the heavy lifting. After, who knows really how many years, the lease came up for the Gas Station and it was owned by Parkway Texaco. He brought them to court and beat them. Now he feel he undefeated! It was one of his best accomplishments of his professional career, going against the almighty Corporation and beating them. Yup, My Dad was a gas station owner in some prime real estate right off exit 61 on Whitney Avenue. His ship came in. He was even smarter not to be busting his ass anymore and leased it out and him and my Mom wrote their own ticket from there on in.

So, I’m working at Instinet, the New York Stock Exchange, and FINRA and my Dad is picking better stocks than me, talking about mutual funds, IRA’s, diversification, I soon realized how smart he really was. He knew everything that was going on in the markets and I would often go to him for financial advice. Every move my Dad seemed to make was the right move. My Dad was an avid book reader. He was the one who lead me to countless Authors, he would sometimes plow through a book a week. He probably read about 40 books a year, no lie. As the years went on, I realized how great my father really was and came to hold him in the highest regard. No matter where I was, I always called my father every night for the last 30 years. We talked every single night for an hour, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes after a Boars championship, it would be a 3 AM call and he always answered. This is what I’ll miss most of all, talking to my best friend.

Angel came down from heaven yesterday, he stayed with me just long enough to rescue me and he told me a story yesterday about the sweet love between the moon and the deep blue sea and then he spread his wings high over me, he said he's gonna come back tomorrow.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Clammer

iceman ….I cannot put in words or what to say ..your pain is great but you were one lucky son to have a Dad like that ………..I,ll say a Clammer prayer for you & the family .
BTW .my father never saw a game I played , && even know I was crazy .it became a advantage .
I,ll never get to meet ya dad & no doubt its my loss .

RIP Sir you were all class ><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Very sorry for your loss.
Not a good week for a few of us.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Raider Ronnie; 06-09-2018 at 10:55 PM..
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
vineyardblues

Very sorry for your loss,
God Bless
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Very sorry for your loss.
Not a good for a few of us.

Very sorry to hear of your brother passing, Ron

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
Sea Dangles

Sorry to hear this
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
JFigliuolo

I'm very sorry for your loss... your father sounds like he was a great man.
JFigliuolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
spence

RIP
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Very sorry to hear of your brother passing, Ron

Thank you John.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #10
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

So sorry Ron

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Very sorry for the loss

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #12
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Nicely written tribute to the man, Ice.
Ron, please accept my condolences. Tough loss for your family.

Been quite a year for many. Makes you sit back and take note of what is good and important in life....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #13
Pete F.
Canceled

Sorry for your loss
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

My condolences Ron
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #15
Raider Ronnie

[QUOTE=nightfighter;1144277]Nicely written tribute to the man, Ice.
Ron, please accept my condolences. Tough loss for your family.

Been quite a year for many. Makes you sit back and take note of what is good and important in life....

Truth ^
Thank you
Old 06-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #16
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Sorry for both of you guys losses, condolences.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #17
chris L

I am saddened to hear of Walt's passing . used to see him at Dee's alot . He was always pleasant to chat with and he was a wealth of fishing information . I always figured he would have been fun to fish with . He had the enthusiasm . Very nice write up about your Dad . It's great to see your repect for your hero ! My Dad was mine too

Ron
Sorry to hear of the loss of your Brother . Thats never easy to take .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:59 AM   #18
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

So sorry to hear the news Bill.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #19
bart
Red Eye Jedi

So incredibly sorry to hear this, Bill. I know how close you two were. Never met your father, but always wanted to. He just seemed like someone you’d want to talk fishing with. You guys had a special relationship; I hope that brings you some comfort. So sorry man. Wishing you peace my brotha

RR -I’m very sorry to hear of your loss as well. Wishing you and your family the best
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #20
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

I'm sorry Ron to you as well. I just made the connection

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #21
chris L

I am posting Hesh2's obituary for those who would like to read it . If this is inappropriate then John or a moderator Please remove or ask me and I will remove it .

Walter A. Haesche Obituary
Haesche, Walter A.
Walter Andrew Haesche, 77 of North Haven, passed away on Friday, June 8, 2018 at his home. Walter was born in New Haven on December 30, 1940, a son of the late Walter Henry Haesche & Margaret (Andrews) Haesche. He was the beloved husband for 55 years of the late Marianne E. (Paolillo) Haesche, his childhood sweetheart that he met at the age of 15, and dearly missed since her passing. Walter was the Owner / Operator of the former Parkway Texaco in Hamden. He went on to be a Service Advisor for several local dealerships and subsequently owned Walt's Lawn Service. He is survived by his children, Walter "Butch" Haesche & his wife Janet, Michael Haesche & his wife Marianne, William Haesche & his wife Jennifer and Melissa Lillis & her husband Paul; grandchildren Gwenyth & Grace Haesche, Aidan, Christian & Aubrey Haesche and Molly & Kaley Lillis. Walter also leaves nieces, nephews and several friends. He was predeceased by his grandson Christopher Robert Haesche. Walter was an avid reader and hockey enthusiast. He enjoyed fishing and spending time with his granddaughters Molly & Kaley.
Friends may visit with his family at BEECHER & BENNETT FUNERAL HOME, 2300 Whitney Ave, Hamden on Thursday, June 14th from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., prior to his Prayer Service which will begin at 11:30 a.m. Burial will follow in Centerville Cemetery. To send a condolence to his family please see:
www.beecherandbennett.com
Published in The New Haven Register on June 13, 2018
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote