Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #91
fishbones

Thanks, Spence. That was a compliment about the fashion sense. I saw a pair of Ecco's for $120 that looked nice, but wasn't sure if they were a little too stylish for someone that does what I do for a living. I'll check them out. The less stores I have to go to, the better.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #92
thortum

Hey Spence, your getting to be quite a celebrity!! Your the TALK OF THE TOWN in my local coffee shop. They've all joined this site just to read your column!!!! I think that you should charge for your advice, then John could charge you as a sponsor. Ha Ha.
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #93
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Thanks, Spence. That was a compliment about the fashion sense. I saw a pair of Ecco's for $120 that looked nice, but wasn't sure if they were a little too stylish for someone that does what I do for a living. I'll check them out. The less stores I have to go to, the better.
Anyone can pull anything off if you feel comfortable in them. Some Ecco's have a more utilitarian feel to them, some are quite Euro.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #94
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by thortum View Post
Hey Spence, your getting to be quite a celebrity!! Your the TALK OF THE TOWN in my local coffee shop. They've all joined this site just to read your column!!!! I think that you should charge for your advice, then John could charge you as a sponsor. Ha Ha.
What kind of coffee shop? That could say a lot about your town...

I just want to help people.

-spence
Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #95
mosholu
Mosholu

Spence:
When you have a moment your thoughts on the following. White rice is best cooked with the absorption method where the amount of water is 2x the amount of rice. This generally works for me.
Where I go off the rails is brown rice. If you do 2x the water will be gone 1/3 of the way into the cooking time and it will burn. Is there a ratio for brown rice to water that you know of?
Thanks in advance.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #96
fishsmith
DDG-51

Hi Spence,

Month long reader, first time poster.

Here goes: To cut down on my carbon footprint, I refuse to iron, but unlike Eddie Vedder I can no longer pull off the 38 year old grunge rocker look with wrinkly oxford type button downs. Can you suggest a wrinkle free button down shirt for business casual attire. Oh yes, and like the little bird chirps, I'm cheap, cheap, cheap.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #97
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
Spence:
When you have a moment your thoughts on the following. White rice is best cooked with the absorption method where the amount of water is 2x the amount of rice. This generally works for me.
Where I go off the rails is brown rice. If you do 2x the water will be gone 1/3 of the way into the cooking time and it will burn. Is there a ratio for brown rice to water that you know of?
Thanks in advance.
I think your answer is to use more water

Seriously, all rice isn't created equal and the volume of rice you're making will impact the rice/liquid ratio as well. Generally speaking, the larger the batch the less water is needed.

I'd also wonder about your cooking technique. Rice is best cooked in a very heavy pot over very low heat and with a tight lid the entire time. The opposite of any of this could easily boil off excess water and lead to scorching.

I don't know how well they work for brown rice, but if you make it often and by itsself, I'd look into an inexpensive electronic rice cooker...for white rice they are bulletproof.

Otherwise, try adding some more H2O and see what happens.

-spence
Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #98
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsmith View Post
Hi Spence,

Month long reader, first time poster.

Here goes: To cut down on my carbon footprint, I refuse to iron, but unlike Eddie Vedder I can no longer pull off the 38 year old grunge rocker look with wrinkly oxford type button downs. Can you suggest a wrinkle free button down shirt for business casual attire. Oh yes, and like the little bird chirps, I'm cheap, cheap, cheap.
Admitting you have a problem is a big, big step. Feel confident you're among friends

The problem with wrinkle free shirts is that most of them aren't all that great, and they will loose their wrinkle free'ness over time.

Cheap is relative and you may spend more buying inexpensive shirts that need to be replaced than you would with a few decent shirts that will last longer.

Nordstrom actually makes a very good non-iron shirt (and this comes from my Father who's a no iron Nazi) that I'd argue is priced moderately. I've bought him several for Christmas presents over the years and he's been very happy with them. There's probably a much better selection on the website.

Lands End is slightly less expensive and rumored to make a good no iron shirt as well. Although you may find that even these aren't "cheap".

As you can imagine, my closet is stuffed to the gills with shirts...so ironing them before each wear is a necessary ritual. You may want to consider just s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up and work on reducing your carbon footprint in other ways. Like all that gas you burn boating

-spence
Old 04-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #99
fishsmith
DDG-51

Words of wisdom, but I'm way ahead of you on reducing my boating carbon footprint, I've gone from mooching rides on 2stroke powered boats to clean burning 4strokes.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #100
spence

Quote:
Words of wisdom, but I'm way ahead of you on reducing my boating carbon footprint, I've gone from mooching rides on 2stroke powered boats to clean burning 4strokes.
Yes, but consider the "true" footprint involved here. That 4 stroke may burn cleaner, but it's a more complicated engine. The machining and transportation of all those components would require a lot more energy to produce.

Face it, you could be making matters worse

-spence
Old 04-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #101
fishsmith
DDG-51

I can live with that. But can you live with the little 3rd world fingers worked to the bone to make them fancy threads you wear
Old 04-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #102
spence

Quote:
I can live with that. But can you live with the little 3rd world fingers worked to the bone to make them fancy threads you wear
Since when is Italy a third world nation?

-spence
Old 04-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #103
Joe

Where and when did you formulate your political ideologies?

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #104
fishbones

Spence,
When can I start to wear corduroy pants? Is it too early now?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote