Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Hooper
Southsider

Question for wrapping gurus

I am looking to build a rod this winter to fill my free time. Would this setup be a decent jig? I will probably me making a spinning rod of about 7'

http://cgi.ebay.com/47-Fly-or-Fishin...ayphotohosting

Or, should I be looking for something motorized for drying epoxy???

I would apprecaite any input that you pros might have to offer!
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

You can use that to wrap. I would look to have something that balances the whole rod though. You could build a few xtra supports based on what you get. It isn't very hard to do if you have basic woodworking tools.

I pretty much only use the power to do the underwraps,

You do need a turner for the epoxy to set, I let mine spin for at least 24 hours.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
JohnnyD

striperman is right on. You will need something powered to slow-turn the rod for when you apply the flex coat.

This thread has some good ideas for homemade wrappers.
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...hlight=wrapper
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

I really would like rather than the felt coated V' stands would be a ORing 3 wheel adjustable stand. As blank tapers, you need to really adjust the stand to the blank to cut down on the vibration.

Other than skating wheels, anyone have a source for like 1 inch dia, 1/2" thick slices.

Or even a delrin 1 inch diameter dowel.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:04 AM   #5
maddog2020

McMaster-Carr out of NJ is where we buy a lot of misc things for fabricating things. It ships fast and we generally get it next day.

Depending on how many of these discs you need, I may be able to cnc some for you when it is slow at work. I am sure we have some laying around at work. If you get it in a rod form can you cut them off in slices and drill the centers easy enough striperman36? If you aren't in a huge rush for them send me a pm with what you would like for dimensions. Can it be polycarbonate /lexan or do you need it self-lubing?

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
rhahn427

I have one ....... I think it's a good value for wrapping. You can dry your finish using this but you have to be very careful. You apply finish and do a half turn as soon as you see a slight droop. You will probably have to do this for quite awhile and then turn once an hour after it stops drooping.

Buying a smaller motorized dryer in addition makes it alot easier

I have a motorized wrapper too but I use this more frequently because I'm not proficient with the power wrapper.
rhahn427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog2020 View Post
McMaster-Carr out of NJ is where we buy a lot of misc things for fabricating things. It ships fast and we generally get it next day.

Depending on how many of these discs you need, I may be able to cnc some for you when it is slow at work. I am sure we have some laying around at work. If you get it in a rod form can you cut them off in slices and drill the centers easy enough striperman36? If you aren't in a huge rush for them send me a pm with what you would like for dimensions. Can it be polycarbonate /lexan or do you need it self-lubing?
I ended up getting sheet plastic and cutting circles, then putting the O-ring on it with thick super glue
Old 09-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Grapenuts

replacement sliding screen door wheels/made of white nylon...about an 11/2 in dia...1/4" thick or so, already groved for an rubber o-ring...has bearing and a 1/4" hole in the center for a screw...their cheap...ask at a hardware store/lumberyard... .
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

dooohhhh!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Saltheart

Use a box with v cuts . Its a short rod , you are new and need to go slow to do a good job. Wrapping by hand is best for a one rod try. You can do the wrappings perfectly on a box so quality is not an issue.

To spin for leveling epoxy you could use a rotisserie motor from you grill and just use the box with v grooves and the rotisrie motor,

Keep it simple if you just want to try it once.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote