Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
MikeD

When they won't hit squid bars

Took a run to a popular spot well south of the vineyard this past friday and found a lot of 30-100lb fish breaking all over the place. They were locked in on what looked like halfbeaks. They wouldnt touch the bars. Only got two of the biggest damn bluefish I have ever seen. What do you guys like to troll, throw or jig when they are feeding like that.

Thank you,

Mike
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
fish4striper

Troll bally naked or with a seawitch or toss Ocean lures half beak plug for casting
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
MikeD

Thats exactly what the guy at Falmouth Bait and Tackle said. We picked up some rigged ballyhoo's and threw them in my uncles freezer. I didnt pull the trigger on that ocean lure, it was like 32 bucks and I just wasnt sure. Those babies really do work on the blue fin though huh? How do you work them. Just fire it at breaking fish and reel like hell? Change up the retreive speeds? We've got two spinning combo's with backbone so I may have to bite the bullet and pick us up a few. Least I can do after he burned 100 gallons of fuel.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
fish4striper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I didnt pull the trigger on that ocean lure, it was like 32 bucks and I just wasnt sure. Those babies really do work on the blue fin though huh? How do you work them. Just fire it at breaking fish and reel like hell? Change up the retreive speeds? We've got two spinning combo's with backbone so I may have to bite the bullet and pick us up a few. Least I can do after he burned 100 gallons of fuel.
Yes, rip it back fast ,then try vary the retrieve, pause, retrieve, etc

If you don't want to spend the coin on expensive plugs, go plastic

We've also had good luck casting a 10" ronz tail or gotstryer plastic into breaking fish,white or silver on a jig head with a 4x hook. Same thing, rip it back fast, then vary if no hits. They both have good heads, so does Bill Hurley.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Switch to black bars
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Switch to black bars
Yup once they go black they dont come back
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
I must get the "funny" tuna, they like pretty in PINK!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
MikeD

The black with a red stripe was our champion last season, followed closely by a trick or treat orange and black. So now that I've gone black I don't want to go back, but charlie was being a real diva friday. We were one top of them for about two hours, but nada to show for it. We were out of scituate the last few years and all over the bank and doing pretty well, landing some nice 75-125lb fish here and there. Happy for Rec guys. His boat is in falmouth now and we're new to these southern grounds and were second guessing our tactics.

PR, haha, if they want to hit the pink, thats their decision and I won't judge. Sashimi them up just like the rest of them.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

We have done well on the old style braid marauders as well as x-rap deep divers.
Down Chatham green machines behind single birds wayyyyyy back worked. Maybe some cedar plugs.
Those little ones will hit feet off the transome too.
One year it was deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&s with stainless hooks.
Get some GS rubber and cast at them.
Throw a scup in the mess.
Eels?

Tuna make you crazy!
And broke
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
clcharette
Get off my Rock

We had them feeding on halfbeaks 2 years ago on the backside of the vineyard while we were shark fishing. The fish would come up and race across the top 2 feet of water with halfbeaks fleeing for their lives, awesome to watch. Boat position was the key, you needed to make a long cast into the fleeing halfbeaks and retreave it as if it was another one just trying to escape. It literally had to be going in the same exact direction or it wouldn't get looked at. I found that an olive stubby needle fish was the ticket back then on a 50 lb fluoro leader.
clcharette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
MikeD

Haha, fishingfreak, They do really make you crazy. I should press charges against my uncle. 5 years ago, 200+lb fish stand up on a 50w. Done. Its all I want to do once they show up. I can't imagine how I'll be if I luck into a big one.

Thanks for the tips men. keep em coming if you've got more, we'll be trying to dial it in down there for the rest of the season.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
Mr. Sandman

I fish out that way fairly often. They will turn on and off on bars. I rarely drag the big ones you drag out east...they don't catch here for some reason. I prefer the smaller splash bars and daisy chains. If you can get close enough to breaking fish go with those ocean lures plugs or other jap style plugs designed for school tuna. A lot of guys here swear by the bigger "deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&s" with the hooks and swivels swapped out for quality. I usually have so many things to cast at them i never get to try them all. Also, never give up on the old faithfuls...cedar plugs and the old style jap feathers. (I have caught a more fish on green jap feathers on days when they would not touch anything else than anything else)

They are sporadic, when then turn on they will hit most of the stuff you have on board. You have to pound them into submission and wait them out a lot of times.

One last thing, sometimes when they are UP and DOWN like that and they will not hit what you are dragging, pull in all that crap and pull up to the fish and stop the boat...then drop a butterfly jig

For trolling I have found the squid daisy chains seem to work the best followed buy the small and med spashbars. Best color....black. Also I have gotten them on a daisy chain of green machines.

I have never caught a fish any a rubber eel of any kind. I pretty much have given up with that stuff. I have dragged and casted them over a1000 miles without a hit. (seriously) I know they work for some but not for me. Tried them all. Everything has outfished them. Most of the fish I have heard that were caught on them were dead sticked, just laying still in the water still. If I ever catch one on a rubber eel you will hear about it on this website.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 06-26-2012 at 04:30 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
MakoMike

Another trick when they are really finnicky is go down to some really small lures. I've had some success with the little rubber squids about the size you would find on a fluke rig.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

When they won't hit bars go to a got striper pintail made by little round on the board. The rubber is incredible. Throw it out and twitch it quickly. rip it it and stall it. If that doesn't work I'd troll ballyhoo pin rigged with sea witches or pintails in white behind 3 baby birds in the next zip code. That will get it done. When they are on krill a buck tail in white or red trimmed hair will do the trick.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote