Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
stripermaineiac

Gibbs Darters

Hi All, been going through some of all the Gibbs that I have. So far I've come up with better than a half dozen different 2 oz darters of the 3 hook type let alone adding the 2 hook ones . anyone got an idea of just how many different shape,size width,length,hook placement and weight placement that there are. I think some of the design changes may coincide with the changes in ownership an management over the yrs but not sure.This is just one of those curiosities that pops up in the winter while reorganizing for the next season. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
WoodyCT

Unhappy Flap would have been the guy the ask

Quite a few I believe.
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I only know of 2 versions of the three hook plug. The earliest had a very forward chin hook and the weight behind the second hook. Soon after they moved both belly hooks back and put the weight ahead of the 2nd belly hook. After that the plug stayed the same, although they got a bit narrower and the face a bit longer over time. Eventually they issued a 2 hook version of the same body.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
stripermaineiac

Your right he would have. It was something we were comparing notes on the last time I ran into him. We never got the chance to finish the conversation. Which bites. Probably what got me thinkin on the subject again
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
WoodyCT

Yah...

I guess I was thinking of all the vagaries of shape rather than lead/hook placement.

I have about a dozen 3HDs, and there several differences in terms of tail taper, lip length/steepness, top taper, and nose width.

I love to fish these in skinny water.
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
stripermaineiac

I've found about the same Woody. But also found a couple very old ones without weight and they were of a denser wood tha the older ones. Sure is a big diff with how some of them track compared to each other.A couple even have a wider tail on them.Some the weight is heavier too as it was direct poured into the plug not a slug inserted like many of the newer ie 70's forward are weighted.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
fcap60
Frank Capone

I'm 99% sure I'm going to plug fest and I own a few 3 hook gibbs. Let me know if you want to look at some different ones then. I'm told that Stan was sort of a scavenger for wood back in those days and he grabbed what he thought would work. That may be why some of even the similar models and styles were slightly different. I'm looking at about a dozen as I type this and sure enough they vary a bit
fcap60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
stripermaineiac

You seem to have found pretty much the same that I have. at ist I thought I was nuts. But as I've done more digging I've found several different types of wood plus ,probably due to the diff woods, a bunch of diff weights some almost 1/4 oz diff .Shows that some of the accuracy we strive for wasn't really an issue yrs ago. seems the fish really didn't care all that much either as I've caught fish on just about all the old Gibbs darters that I own.Some are rather a bit beat from the use and still caught fish with the paint almost all gone.Thanks for the offer. I'm hoping to be at plugfest as long as things keep goin good. We'll compare notes there.I'll throw some of these darters in a bag an bring them with me. Thanks much Ron