Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
stripermaineiac

time for new ideas

This spring i tried an experiment. It worked pretty good. well I've been playing with it and this is how it works. sorry for the lack of pics my computer skills are by no means even close to what I can do fishing.
1. turn your favorite plug body.
2.drill it like you normally do.
3.where your front hook hole is drilled rotate the body 180 degrees and drill another hole. they both should connect.
4.finish the plug like you normally do but put a grommet on the second hole you drilled by the center hook.This hole should be on top of the plug.
5. rig plug with some good VMC's and a dressed tail hook.Don't forget to dress the tail hook.
6. Take a zip lock bag and put a dozen or so cotton balls in it and soak them with bunker oil.
7.Go fishing .Take one of the soaked cotton balls and jam it into the top hole.Cast plug out and watch the chum slick that follows your plug.Stick with it and you will see some great results especially when the fish are being fussy or seem to not be around.
8.stick with it and you will enjoy the results.
9. Word of caution--don;t make just one of these as once you get confident with them you will need more than one.

tight lines and good catching. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
stripermaineiac

Oh by the way forget to tell you. Got a dozen fish tonight using a needle like this when no one else got squat,best was 37 in smallest was 22 in. Ron
Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
surfflyfish

pictures?

If You are looking for your next Real Estate Sale or Purchase-Contact me.
surfflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
stripermaineiac

sorry this old beater computer and my camera won't communicat. Need a new computer.It's just a plug with a hole in the top to put a cotton ball soaked in bunker juice.should workm on any plug you make. key is a slow retreive. Ron
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
stripermaineiac

I was using cherice as a color tonight.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

cool idea, thanks for sharing. IMHO if the cotton balls are white maybe the hole should be on the bottom when teh plug is painted whitin that area. Located just behind teh hook hole.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
stripermaineiac

The reason I put it opposite the hook is so that the smell or oil can go out the bottom of the plug around the hook plus it will help keep the cotton ball in place. I origionally tried foam but the bunker oil leached out too quick. But this way the idea works on both floaters and sinkers. The dannys I did with it work real good as the angle of the plug when retreived helps force water through the cotton ball putting more scent in the water. Plus it's easier pushing the cotton ball out of the plug then digging it out.The cotton ball color hasn't made a diff so far.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Hey man from maine would you like some of the new grommets we'll be using on a new lure coming up...meant to do this exact thing. drop me your address and i'll put some in the mail for you.

Last edited by UserRemoved1; 07-23-2010 at 01:07 PM..
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote