Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
stripermaineiac

Tags

Was playin around with an idea I was given at plugfest .Using the trims from through wires tha we cut off to make tags for our plugs.first thing i found was that you needed a bit over 2 in of cut off wire to make the twists needed to make a tag. Just use your round end pliers to twist the wire in a loop with a 1 in tag.
This is an idea I swapped for so the credit goes to who-ever I swapped the jointed needle with.
If the cut off is 3 in long you can twist it up like a split ring and take the tag on an off when ever you need.I made up around 30 tonight and let me say it's a sweet idea especially for those who don't want to use a tail hook on their plugs.One thing i did learn is that you want to make your vuts to the wire at an angle so the split ring idea works best.
who ever it was that I swapped with please chime in on this post as you have a sweet idea an deserve the credit for it. Thanks much Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
O.D. Mike

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Mojo7
Mojo

I got a plug from iamskippy with one of those flags. It works great.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Mojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
JMAC_kerel

I don't make many but that is what I use to make, then tie my tags/flags as well. Although I don't make the "split ring" twist like you mentioned. (interesting idea) I bend a simple open-eye loop that I close onto the tail loop. It can be re-opened easily as well. Since the fish is not actually pulling on the flag like it would on a hook, it does not have to be super strong.
JMAC_kerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

that flag idea was skippys, the things are sweet, easy to change on and off plugs, they never get hung up and the action is better than a single loop.

i got a couple for atom 40s, they look sick

we were test swimming some plugs while trying out my new century and he had a lime green one on a conrad hybrid, the action was so crazy, gave a smaller sized plug a big profile without having to throw a hube plug the thing looked like an eel, so nice.

great job skippy!!

i dont have any pics of them but they are sweet in person.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

When I do that I take my cutters and put a bunch of marks on the shank to hold the thread, leave them a little long and you can put them in a vise just like a hook. Cut the excess after they dry.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

my method was to use a small ss screw eye that i was getting at mikes, the pattern held the material in place great, easy to tie, good action and easy to install or remove.

but skippys idea is better imho. oh the things you think of when your trapped inside.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Mojo7
Mojo

Here are some pics of the one I got from Skipp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plugs 018.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	51234   Click image for larger version

Name:	plugs 019.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	51235  
Mojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
pbadad

I didn't mention it Ron but I've started doing that for a few years. Being frugle I started to save the long ends from stubby plugs to make flags instead of cutting a good hook. Nice touch on the angle cut off.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Neat idea on the curly thingy. I too have been saving the ends for years. Got a lifetime supply.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
stripermaineiac

Skippy showed me this an I had to swap with him as had to have one to keep the idea in my head. got a sweet jointed needle along with it.Thanks for puttin up some pics mojo. I bite on the computer as far as pics go.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
iamskippy

Thanks Ron, Chef and Mark(photos). I got the idea when i was going through the Valium phase lol, i had seen a single wrap in the past, but realized there are some issues that can arise with a single wire wrap, they can get hung up, twisted stuck, so i had been given a lot of cut off's and decided to try a experiment.

I started with a single wrap noticing i had to end the wrap part way around, i tested this in my tail wrap and noticed it was floppy, didnt follow the plug and got hung up.

I then decided to take the second wrap the rest of the way around and end it near the tag end. When i tested this i noticed the tail stayed tight inside the tail wrap loop and moved so much smoother, the action as described by chef is dead on, he had posted a video of a plug i built him, and it had one of thos "snap ring" style wraps, and when i was swimming the conrad hybrid, it was jaw dropping action.

I also made a 3 wrap for bigger lures with bigger tail loops, i bring the tag back and re center the tag, works just as effective as the double.

I believe Cowtamer fell in love with these as well during my free give away.

I showed it to a few buiders at the show and people didnt seem to be interested. If there is a intrest i would be more the happy to make and post a video on how i currently make them now, i asked a machinist on here to help make a tool that i have designed for consistency, but unfortunitly he was to busy.

However if there is enough intrest i would be more then happy to post a video.
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Id like to see that.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #14
Muskyslayer96

Go for it Skippy!

Cool idea!!!!!

MS

Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
Rockfish9

I like the idea from the stand point that it illiminates the split ring...
normally I wrap up a thin length of SS wire and tie my tag... then attach with a #4 split ring... it works pissa.. but any time I can use less hard ware and reuse something discardeded.. it's a win... win proposistion...

I know you showed me at Plugfest... I was going in 10 differant directions ( the boss took my coffee away because she said I was too hyper) and really didn't have the proper time to process the information...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

You can buy at jewelry wholesale supply places pliers that allow you to wrap those rings quite easily. My wife has been doing it for years in her jewelry making business. Great idea for the tags, really.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
You can buy at jewelry wholesale supply places pliers that allow you to wrap those rings quite easily. My wife has been doing it for years in her jewelry making business. Great idea for the tags, really.
Yes sir, but i have a idea for not only those but on the other end making tailwraps simple
Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
iamskippy

Some reason it wont let me edit, the 2-1 tool part was left out, i use knipex pliers now