Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

fender bender help

Got rear ended last night, driving our car thats 3 months old. Guy bumped me from behind while I was pulling out.
minor damage, but sucks since the car is new. Luckily, I havent had any accidents in like 20yrs, I just want to make sure I am doing teh right thing so I can get it fixed.
I got all his info, he apologized about 20 times. No cops came, we drove away.
I called my insurance co, they said call his unless I want to file a claim with them. I called his, gave them all the info. The girl that took the info seemed like a ditz which didnt make me feel too confidenct. She said that someone will call me in 24hrs to formalize the claim. So, whats next? Do they do an appraisal? How do they determine fault?What if the actual costs are more than the appraisal? Any help is greatly appreciated. i felt pretty dumb that I wasnt sure what to do.....

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

they will send someone out to your house/work. or have you take it to a drive in.
they'll write an estimate then you take that estimate to the body shop or cash the check. your call.
if the bodyshop feels it's worth more money than they allowed? the body shop will call the ins. co. for a suppliment. usually paid dirrectly to the shop with an additional check.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Unhappy

First, sorry ya got hit, especially in your new car.
If a guy hits you from the rear it's his fault, no matter what the reason. His insurance compay will prolly ask for 2 damage estimates and may send an appraiser out to take a pic to verify and pay for it.
The worst part is laying your car up while they fix it.

Whoops too slow. Like FF said. Fastest plug ho i ever seen.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

cool, thanks guys

Old 10-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
smokefish

Don't be so sure that he takes the blame.Usually if you are backing into traffic you are at fault.Father-inlaw was backing out of his driveway,his car was completely across the road when someone rear-ended him.Cop took the report but told him he didn't stand a chance with the insurance company and he was right.
smokefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

He was right behind me while I was turning left at an intersection/stop sign, As soon as I edged out, from the stop,he bumped me from behind.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
crash
Professional dumba$$

File an accident report, make sure the other insurance pays for both the repairs AND a rental car.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

By the way you explained it it is his fault, they will do an estimate and a list of places to take your car, I took mine to the dealer because it was a mile from my house and they did an unbelievable job on it it came home like new.

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
spence

I was rear ended (rental car) pulling out of my parking spot in Knoxville this week...as I was heading to the airport

She had no insurance, no registration and no driver's license card

I took what info I could and passed it alone, will be interesting to see if I catch any flak...thankfully it was minor and not my car...otherwise I would have called the police.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
Vermonter

I got rear ended in traffic this spring, hit from behind by a kid doing 25 after stopping behind the woman in front of me, I was pushed into her vehicle at about 5mph. While that was a huge headache, things went fairly smoothly with the insurance companies. They sent a private adjuster they hired to the jobsite to look over my vehicle, settled fairly quickly.

Only thing Id watch out for was this adjuster based part of his repair estimate on buying a good quality used rear bumper from a local yard, I pointed out that that particular bumper might be available this moment but not available when my check arrived. They agreed after a day and they upped the check by 200 to cover that.
Vermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

Send a message via AIM to mrmacey
Got rear ended with

My limo 11k worth of damage and 1 months loss of wages the guys insurance paid total about 17k my limo looks like brand new.
mrmacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY
Got rear ended last night, driving our car thats 3 months old. Guy bumped me from behind while I was pulling out.
minor damage, but sucks since the car is new. Luckily, I havent had any accidents in like 20yrs, I just want to make sure I am doing teh right thing so I can get it fixed.
I got all his info, he apologized about 20 times. No cops came, we drove away.
I called my insurance co, they said call his unless I want to file a claim with them. I called his, gave them all the info. The girl that took the info seemed like a ditz which didnt make me feel too confidenct. She said that someone will call me in 24hrs to formalize the claim. So, whats next? Do they do an appraisal? How do they determine fault?What if the actual costs are more than the appraisal? Any help is greatly appreciated. i felt pretty dumb that I wasnt sure what to do.....

I tell this to everyone who knows they are NOT at fault.
DON'T MOVE THE VEHICLES!!!
CALL THE POLICE AND HAVE THEM TAKE A REPORT !!!
GET NAMES AND PHONE NUMBERS OF ANY WITNESSES
Stories can change a few days later !!!
Also, Don't let anyone from an ins co. tell you where you have to get the repairs done (one of their referal shops)
It's your right to have it repaired at any licensed shop of you choice!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote