Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
wader-dad

J- E -T- S Jets Jets Jets

I actually like Pennington. I was at he playoff game where he beat Manning and the Colts 40-0. I think Farve provides a little interest as a Jet fan but I don't think he is going to do much. Just the pessimism of a Jet fan. Something crazy to pass the time until the water cools off. Go Jets.
wader-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
ThomCat

After the last few seasons I think pessimism is probably the strongest weapon in Mangina's arsonel.

Catch'em up,
ThomCat
ThomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Bottom line--he's won exactly one Superbowl--where Desmond Howard won the MVP--and nothing else. His recent playoff appearances have been "less than stellar" and that's being generous.

Yeah, he had a hell of a year for a 37 year old last season. But--the Packers played in a division every bit as bad as the Pats' division, and still managed to lose to the Bears--a team with no NFL caliber QB--twice. He was horrible in the two biggest games he played--the Thursday night regular season showdown with Dallas, and in the NFC Championship.

Brett Favre is the single most overrated QB in the history of the NFL.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post

And that's saying a lot considering that Joe Namath played in the NFL.

Favre is so popular because people like to watch the exciting (reckless) style of ball he plays. Everyone remembers the great plays he makes, yet all the stupid passes are forgiven because he was "trying to make something happen". He's also popular becuase he's a regular ole southern boy who is always willing to talk to the media. As far as the announcers are concerned, he can do no wrong. He could take a dump at midfield and roll around in it, and somehow Madden would find a way to make it the greatest play in the history of the game.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Jets this year.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
wader-dad

Quote "It will be interesting to see what happens with the Jets this year."

No one would have made that statement 18 hours ago. I think with the Jets selling Personal Seat Licenses. That is what they wanted some interest if nothing else.
wader-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wader-dad View Post
Quote "It will be interesting to see what happens with the Jets this year."

No one would have made that statement 18 hours ago. I think with the Jets selling Personal Seat Licenses. That is what they wanted some interest if nothing else.

They've sold out every game since their days at Shea. They'll sell all of the seats at their new digs even without Favre. The stadium won't even be ready for a couple of more years, and odds are Favre will be re-retired by then

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
HookLine&Sinker

Favre is a jet........oh my, we're sooo screwdd now!

"We're onto Cincinnati."-God

"Wanna know which ring is my favorite? The next one."-Jesus
HookLine&Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
jmonte45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post

Let me say off the rip that I am not a Packer fan by any means, but that might be the stupidest comment I have ever heard. Maybe you have a problem with the way he plays or with him for that matter, but your statement couldn't be further from the truth. He might go down as top 5 in my eyes, I would love to see your list. A QB doesn't get his hands on all those records just because of how long he played, and I don't know if you paid any attention to the players he had around him, but he never really had too much talent to work with. I am a Patriots fan all the way, and I don't know if for someone reason you have not gotten over him beating us in the superbowl, but your post is absolutely rediculous. You might want to take a look at his stats, and record holders in the NFL....I know already you are gonna make a statement about his interceptions, but when you are forced to throw the ball 30+ times a game, picks tend to happen. I will also admit, that under pressure, he may often make stupid passes, but I think the risk-reward has paid off more than it has bitten him in the a$$. I will also state that I don't think that the jets will all of a sudden be a great team, because at this point in the game, he should have either stayed with the packers or retired. The jets suck, they have a handful of good players at that. I like the fact he has Coles to throw to, but I don't think that will be enough. The jets will be lucky to go 8-8, so I think the move was stupid, that's not the point I was trying to make. Just had to chime in on the subject, because I think you should rethink your statement, because it makes you look foolish.

21' Sea Pro WA
jmonte45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte45 View Post
He might go down as top 5 in my eyes, I would love to see your list. . Just had to chime in on the subject, because I think you should rethink your statement, because it makes you look foolish.
Montana, Unitas, Elway, Marino, Bradshaw. How's that for a top 5 for openers? That's with spending about 30 seconds worth of thought on it.

Favre isn't even the best Packer QB of all time. That would be Bart Starr.

By the end of their careers, Brady and Peyton Manning will pass Favre on the all-time list. IMO they've both done so already. Kenny Stabler was better than Favre, and so were guys like Steve Young and Troy Aikman. What Favre has going for him is longevity, whereas Young and Aikman had their careers cut short by injuries and concussions. Namath may be overrated in the minds of some, but don't forget he played his entire pro career on not one, but two bad knees. Favre isn't as good as Namath, even with Joe's knees. He's also benefitted by playing in a crap division. Since Favre came into the NFL, Green Bay is the only NFC North team to win a SB, and only the Bears have appeared in another one. How many times have the Lions even made the playoffs? Every NFC East team has appeared in one, and 3 out of the 4 have won one.

You want to go back to the days of Sammy Baugh and Sid Luckman, or just stick with the Super Bowl era?

Last edited by Mike P; 08-11-2008 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
[QUOTE=fishbones;610470]And that's saying a lot considering that Joe Namath played in the NFL.

I didn't forget Namath played in the nfl, He along with Bob Griese and Favre are all at the top of my list of most over rated !
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

You want them by decades?

1960s--Johnny Unitas, followed by Bart Starr.

1970s--Terry Bradshaw, followed by Ken Stabler.

1980s--Joe Montana, followed by Dan Marino.

1990s--John Elway, followed by (yes) Troy Aikman.

2000s--Tom Brady, followed by Peyton Manning.

That doesn't put Favre in the top 10 Not to mention, guys who were better than Favre, like Steve Young, didn't make that list because they weren't #1 or #2 of their time. Same with guys like Y.A. Tittle and Len Dawson from the 60s. And how about guys like Dan Fouts and Roger Staubach? The toughest choice I had was taking Stabler (why he isn't in Canton is a mystery) over Staubach as the #2 from the 70s.

And yes--with one more ring, Brady will knock Bradshaw out of the top 5 all time.

This is coming from a Giants fan, BTW.

Last edited by Mike P; 08-11-2008 at 10:10 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
[QUOTE=Mike P;611463]You want them by decades?

1960s--Johnny Unitas, followed by Bart Starr.

1970s--Terry Bradshaw, followed by Ken Stabler.

1980s--Joe Montana, followed by Dan Marino.

1990s--John Elway, followed by (yes) Troy Aikman.

2000s--Tom Brady, followed by Peyton Manning.

That doesn't put Favre in the top 10 Not to mention, guys who were better than Favre, like Steve Young, didn't make that list because they weren't #1 or #2 of their time. Same with guys like Y.A. Tittle and Len Dawson from the 60s. And how about guys like Dan Fouts and Roger Staubach? The toughest choice I had was taking Stabler (why he isn't in Canton is a mystery)

Beats me why Stabler is not in !
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote