Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Why $$$ to Pakistan?

Billions to a country in which the Taliban and Al Queda operate from with relative arm's length wink wink safety.... makes me sick. As corrupt as Afghan government, and denies communiques with those parties mentioned above. Our President and SoS actually has to verbally lean on Pakistan to stand up against the Taliban???? Give me a break. They're a proxy of the Pakistan government. Shut the money OFF, now!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Billions to a country in which the Taliban and Al Queda operate from with relative arm's length wink wink safety.... makes me sick. As corrupt as Afghan government, and denies communiques with those parties mentioned above. Our President and SoS actually has to verbally lean on Pakistan to stand up against the Taliban???? Give me a break. They're a proxy of the Pakistan government. Shut the money OFF, now!
I wouldn't call them a "proxy" but perhaps a "product" might be more accurate.

The secular Pakistani secret service has long used radicalism as a weapon. Many say we directly encouraged this when Pakistan was trying to build up militants to fight the Soviets. Hell, we did send nearly 5 BILLION to aid the Jihadis in the 1980's.

The government of Pakistan has little to gain from the Taliban now, they just can't control some of the elements they helped to create.

-spence
Old 01-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Note to Pakistanis;

We've had to suspend your monthly stipend of millions of dollars for the foreseeable future. We've found a more immediate need of those funds in Haiti. Thank you for your understanding.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Backbeach Jake

It's called mitigation money. For those of us who aren't polls, bribes.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

A little timely bump......
Can we shut off the money spigot now??????

Old 05-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Raven

Thumbs up yeah

time to swing the faucet to a usa direction
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
mosholu
Mosholu

I think we are in a in a tough spot regarding Pakistan. We can not pull out all the aid for their military and security services although they are corrupt and compromised because we do not want to take the chance that they will become more radical and threaten new hostilities with India. Remember they do have nuclear capabilities and do we really want to hand that option over to a radical muslim state. I guess the idea is that it is better to have them somewhat in the tent than completely out of it. Sh*tty choice but there it is.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
striperman36
Old Guy

heck, turn it off. They can't even control half the land, the tribal area is just that. Afghanistan in Pakistan
Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 AM   #9
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I wouldn't call them a "proxy" but perhaps a "product" might be more accurate.

The secular Pakistani secret service has long used radicalism as a weapon. Many say we directly encouraged this when Pakistan was trying to build up militants to fight the Soviets. Hell, we did send nearly 5 BILLION to aid the Jihadis in the 1980's.

The government of Pakistan has little to gain from the Taliban now, they just can't control some of the elements they helped to create.

-spence
yes, the Taliban is a "product" of our own doing, at least "many" would say so....good grief
Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 AM   #10
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

"White House counterterrorism chief John Brennan told a briefing that Pakistan was not informed of the raid until after all U.S. aircraft were out of Pakistani airspace.

Irate U.S. lawmakers wondered how it was possible for bin Laden to live in a populated area near a military training academy without anyone in authority knowing about it.

They said it was time to review aid to Pakistan. The U.S. Congress has approved $20 billion for Pakistan in direct aid and military reimbursements partly to help Islamabad fight militancy since bin Laden masterminded the September 11, 2001 attacks."
Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
yes, the Taliban is a "product" of our own doing, at least "many" would say so....good grief
As usual, I never said that...keep making things up, it's about the only you can manage to get a point together.

I'll also amend my previous statement in that Pakistan probably does get value from the Taliban as a destabalizing force...but I'm not sure the ROI will be as good as it was in the past.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 05-03-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Old 05-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
As usual, I never said that...keep making things up, it's about the only you can manage to get a point together.

I'll also amend my previous statement in that Pakistan probably does get value from the Taliban as a destabalizing force...but I'm not sure the ROI will be as good as it was in the past.

-spence
exactly what you said

nf...the Taliban???? Give me a break. They're a proxy of the Pakistan government

Spence..."I wouldn't call them a "proxy" but perhaps a "product"
"Pakistani ss has long used radicalism as a weapon"
"Many say we directly encouraged this "
"Hell, we did send nearly 5 BILLION to aid the Jihadis "

as usual...blame America...what exactly did I make up?