Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 10-24-2018, 05:01 AM   #91
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Great illustration of how to make repetitive cuts of the correct spring angle. Many DIYers assume the spring angle is 45 degrees. It is not, normally.
I also make idiot blocks of miter cuts and mark them for left inside, right inside, left outside and right outside. This helps me avoid errors in setting up the saw and cutting the wrong end of the stock, which can be costly. Also helps avoiding cutting upside down.

It is worth noting that I back cut the inside joints whenever possible.

That's right Ross very rare for spring angle to be 45. I am fluent with Autocad and at the millwork shop I worked for I drew custom moulding profiles. Once the drawing was perfect it was downloaded to a cnc machine to cut a pattern, from there the hardboard template was used to cut the profile on the steel knives used in the moulding cutter head.
We could...in an eight hour shift go from drawing board to producing hundreds of feet of custom crown moulding in any wood species required.
The moulding cutter head has three steel knives, after grinding the knives to the correct profile with a special machine using the template...they must be weighed on a digital scale, and tweaked until they all weigh exactly the same, before being installed into the cutterhead.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 10-24-2018 at 05:23 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:34 AM   #92
Rmarsh

We had a job doing the finish work on the renovation of a very old historic building. I was sent to inspect the existing trim we would have to match. I was amazed because there were moulding profiles i had never seen before...really odd shapes. I cut small samples off the existing trim, went back to my cad program and kept drawing and printing until I got a perfect match. Those knife profiles were a one off and never used again.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:35 AM   #93
Rmarsh

Boss says he wants a PVC lantern post for every house in the 54 lot subdivision. We are only just starting so I'll do six at a time. In that second picture it looks like porch roof columns for my shop, they just happen to be the same height by coincidence. Walpole woodworking sells something similar for around $1,200.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..
Old 10-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #94
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Nice Posts! Is there a pressure treated 4x4 in the middle?

Here is a shot of a set of stairs I did this summer in maple. It was a lot of work going from carpeted stairs that were closed in, the left wall was opened up and an LVL put in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maple stairs.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	65700  

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #95
Slipknot
Super Moderator

And here is a set of stairs I helped out with. My friend made almost all the pieces shown including the wall panels. Very complex foyer and a ton of money, but it looks killer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stairs A.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	65701   Click image for larger version

Name:	stairs B.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	65702  

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:24 AM   #96
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Nice Posts! Is there a pressure treated 4x4 in the middle?

Here is a shot of a set of stairs I did this summer in maple. It was a lot of work going from carpeted stairs that were closed in, the left wall was opened up and an LVL put in.

Beautiful work Bruce! Looks like you made the newel posts yourself?
I like the metal balusters too.....those pitch shoes did get slid up against the railing and tightened with a set screw...I assume

Yeah the lantern posts are hollow...they will slide down and over a pressure treated post that is dug into the ground and set in concrete.... with room for a wire.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #97
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Thanks, no those maple newels and the one narrow one upstairs(not in the shot) were bought by the homeowner, I don't like the radius on the raised panel look to them, done with router obviously and looks good to them but cheap to me. and yes those shoes will be brought up, he was still polyurethaning.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #98
Rmarsh

v-fold method for long miter joints with pvc

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..
Old 11-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #99
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
v-fold method for long miter joints with pvc
Use to do that with step flashing on opposite side for corner boards,, the more you push the tighter the joint....
I almost miss working.... ;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #100
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Use to do that with step flashing on opposite side for corner boards,, the more you push the tighter the joint....
I almost miss working.... ;-)

I am looking forward to retiring in three years.......I will miss working...because that is all I have done for the last forty five years.

Also hoping that the pain in my shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands and fingers won't force me into retiring sooner. I could find other work that doesn't involve using my hands but I wont be happy about it.