Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Did you hear the military got a 10% pay raise

What an arse this clown is to lie to our military about a pay raise they aren’t getting. So Trump to make it all about him and his agenda.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Totally legit criticism, and I can't find out what Trump was thinking.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
Cool Beans

Not sure.... 2.6% pay increase.... 2.8% cost of living allowance increase... Housing allowance also increased (% depends on locality) Basic Allowance for Sustenance also increased .. and special pay such as hazardous duty pay increased as well.. so maybe for those in the war zone may get close to 10%.. it is definitely not all service members.

Even retirees like myself with 20 yrs service will see a 2.8% increase in our retirement checks (the largest increase in past 9 years)....

What he said is misleading but perhaps for those few, especially special ops folks in Iraq... they may see the 10% but not the military as a whole, for them the increase is closer to 5% overall.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post

What he said is misleading
So our military hasn't received a raise in 10 years like he said?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
Cool Beans

Ahhhh I thought someone said 10% raise.

The 10 years is wrong, unless you look at it like Social Security where you call it a "cut" when they reduce the requested or planned increases.

He may referring to the amount of "pay increases" over the past 10 years were below the rate of inflation. When cost of living goes up 4% and you get a 1.2% "raise" ... is it actually a raise?

If you look at it that way "pay increases" are not considered a "raise" as they did not raise the pay compared to inflation.

Or perhaps his brain slipped out of gear, and instead of saying the "largest raise" in the past 10 years.. he said first in 10 years... sort of like our past president claiming we had 57 states....
Old 12-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

His BRAIN haha, it doesn’t work rationally, clearly that much is evident to I think even his supporters. He lied about the amount of the raise, he lied about no raises in years past, he takes what should have been a time to thank our service men and women; instead of making it a political statement. He finally got on a plane to show support for our military and he makes it all about him, to me it is very disrespectful behavior and so inappropriate; but that is Trump.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
PaulS

It wasn't a slip of the tongue like saying 57 states. It was clear he wanted to lie (and never mind the inappropriateness of treating a visit to the military like a campaign rally).

"They had plenty of people that came up, they said, 'You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3%, we could make it 2%, we could make it 4%,'" Trump told the troops about the latest pay raise. "I said, 'No. Make it 10%. Make it more than 10%.'"

'Cause it's been a long time, it's been more than 10 years. Been more than 10 years, that's a long time," Trump said, repeating the false claim.