Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

FACTS

The following senators voted against making English the official language of America :

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Akaka (D-HI)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Bayh (D-IN)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Biden (D-DE) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Bingaman (D-NM)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Boxer (D-CA)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Cantwell (D-WA) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Clinton (D-NY)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Dayton (D-MN)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Dodd (D-CT) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Domenici (R-NM)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Durbin (D-IL)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Feingold (D-WI) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Feinstein (D-CA)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Harkin (D-IA)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Inouye (D-HI) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Jeffords (I-VT)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Kennedy (D-MA)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Kerry (D-MA) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Kohl (D-WI)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Lautenberg (D-NJ)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Leahy (D-VT) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Levin (D-MI)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Lieberman (D-CT)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Menendez (D-NJ) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Mikulski (D-MD)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Murray (D-WA)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Obama (D-IL) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Reed (D-RI)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Reid (D-NV)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Salazar (D-CO) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Sarbanes (D-MD)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Schumer (D-NY)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Stabenow (D-MI) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Wyden (D-OR)[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Now, the following are the senators who voted to give illegal aliens Social Security benefits. They are grouped by home state. If a state is not listed, there was no voting representative. [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Alaska : Stevens (R)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Arizona : McCain (R)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Arkansas : Lincoln (D) Pryor (D) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] California : Boxer (D) Feinstein (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Colorado : Salazar (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Connecticut : Dodd (D) Lieberman (D) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Delaware : Biden (D) Carper (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Florida : Martinez (R)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Hawaii : Akaka (D) Inouye (D) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Illinois : Durbin (D) Obama (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Indiana: Bayh (D) Lugar (R)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Iowa: Harkin (D) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Kansas: Brownback (R)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Louisiana: Landrieu (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Maryland: Mikulski (D) Sarbanes (D) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Massachusetts: Kennedy (D) Kerry (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Montana: Baucus (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Nebraska: Hagel (R) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Nevada: Reid (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] New Jersey: Lautenberg (D) Menendez (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] New Mexico: Bingaman (D) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] New York: Clinton (D) Schumer (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] North Dakota : Dorgan (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Ohio : DeWine (R) Voinovich(R) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Oregon : Wyden (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Pennsylvania : Specter (R)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Rhode Island : Chafee (R) Reed (D) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] South Carolina : Graham (R)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] South Dakota : Johnson (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Vermont : Jeffords (I) Leahy (D) [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Washington : Cantwell (D) Murray (D)[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] West Virginia : Rockefeller (D) by Not Voting[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Wisconsin : Feingold (D) Kohl (D) [/FONT]

[/FONT]
Old 05-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Raven

then again

i haven't really heard any discussion as to why English should "be" the official language of America... as aposed to another...

maybe we can change it to French.... because i love to say the french word for fish or ce poisson est un cochon sur qui l'avez-vous attrapé ? vache sainte!

ummm.... whats your point Sandman?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
Nebe

who cares? give me cheap oil dammit.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
spence

This dead horse was mostly beaten to death in this thread...

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ad.php?t=40317

The language stuff is pretty much out of context bunk as well. Where do you get such blabber?

At what point did you say, I'm justified in using the CAPS key?

-spence
Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
fishsmith
DDG-51

Who is this senator 'Arial','sans-serif' anyways? sounds like an outsider to me.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsmith View Post
Who is this senator 'Arial','sans-serif' anyways? sounds like an outsider to me.
Muslim Extremist Infiltrator.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
spence

Must be French

-spence
Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
Raven

or

a sand monkey
Old 05-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
a sand monkey
Easy there carbon fibre nanotube guy

-spence
Old 07-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
EarnedStripes44

english the official language of the U.S., arent there bigger issues
Old 07-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
english the official language of the U.S., arent there bigger issues
Yeah but you wouldn't be aware of them unless you can understand English.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
Yeah but you wouldn't be aware of them unless you can understand English.
So the English language is the vehicle to carry one to the destination of enlightenment. Is it the case that English is a prerequisite for political awareness? So, only English speakers are aware of bigger issues. This is what you are explicitly implying is it not. I thought rationality and the desire to pursue knowledge and understanding are something we are all capable of, regardless of social constructions, language and cultural affiliation. Sure some shells are tougher to crush than others, but reason and the desire to pursue the human good of understanding is universal, all footed in a few undeniable natural laws. Immigrants have been coming to this country since its inception, that is what this country is, a country of immigrants. If it was so important that English be the official language it should have been done so a long time ago. The only difference now is that most our immigrants are no longer white Europeans, so you already know which feathers those are going to ruffle. I am not denying that the issue is complicated, but we should try to abstain from ignorant simplistic solutions like mandating English, and besides, down in Georgia they speak a variety of English I have trouble following anyway. American English, with its complement of colloquialisms and regional dialects is not the King's English. So whose English is going to be the official language? We are the greatest heterogeneous society to exist since Rome. We should appreciate that diverse beauty, not mandate conformity and aggrevate cultural strife. People should be able to do what they want, when they want and be able to say how they want it - provided it falls within the confines of civility and law. Your post is bordering along the lines of ignorance.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #13
stripersnipr

I'll defer to Mr. Roosevelt on this due to the fact that I am in complete agreement with him and he stated our shared opinion far better than I.

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...

There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

--Theodore Roosevelt, 1919

Or was he ignorant too?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
EarnedStripes44

He was an imperialist
Old 07-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #15
EarnedStripes44

...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

So neighborhoods like Little Italy, Chinatown, South Boston, East Boston and Chelsea should be wiped clean of their ethnic flair for the cause of Yankee assimilation. Is an Italian American, wrong for celebrating, cherishing and acknowleding his old world lineage. What is an American anyway? Have you ever asked a black person, the descendants of slaves, what an American is? What about Native Americans, what the hell are they cause they sure as hell is hot weren't speak english!!! I think that quote is a gross oversimpification of from a bygone era. It's a political slogan, aimed at stoking xenopohibic sentiment among the ignorant mass. Are you a xenophobe like Teddy Roosevelt? An imperialist bigot, who thinks the "American" way is the only way. He believed it was America's mission to "civilize" the "uncivilized".
Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #16
stripersnipr

Quote:
...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

So neighborhoods like Little Italy, Chinatown, South Boston, East Boston and Chelsea should be wiped clean of their ethnic flair for the cause of Yankee assimilation.

Neither I nor Roosevelt said that. You wish we did though, huh?

Is an Italian American, wrong for celebrating, cherishing and acknowleding his old world lineage.
No

What is an American anyway?

A born or naturalized citizen. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Have you ever asked a black person, the descendants of slaves, what an American is?

No. Have you? I do know that none of my Black friends speak African.

What about Native Americans, what the hell are they cause they sure as hell is hot weren't speak english!!!

They are Native Americans. What's your point? I know several and they all speak English very well.

I think that quote is a gross oversimpification of from a bygone era. It's a political slogan, aimed at stoking xenopohibic sentiment among the ignorant mass.

If that's your opinion, cool. I disagree.

Are you a xenophobe like Teddy Roosevelt? An imperialist bigot, who thinks the "American" way is the only way. He believed it was America's mission to "civilize" the "uncivilized".
I believe in some basic core principles such as immigrants assimilating into the country they have chosen to immigrate to because they feel it offers them a better life. If that's considered xenophobic in the Peoples Republic then I'm proud to be lumped into that category. Tell me what your problem is with Americans behaving in an "American way"? Or is it just the "American way" in general you take issue with?
What "way" should Americans behave?

By the way, how many languages do you think our electoral ballots should be printed in?

The fact that you may not agree with Roosevelts opinions or policies in no way makes him an ignorant bigot. I was taught and still the hold belief that a sure sign of ignorant bigotry is when one chooses to apply those terms to everyone with whom they disagree. There are a large number of nasty terms people could choose to apply to you for your beliefs but thankfully most of us are above that.

God Bless America and have a great day
Old 07-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #17
EarnedStripes44

I'll say it again....I think the American way of life is not some monolithic cultural entity, its many things. I think its everyone's (you too) individual story of struggle, loss, growth, rebirth and achievement, all uniformity aside. That's my whole point, the fact that you can come to this country and be whomever you like, worship whatever; science, drugs, bigotry or women. I am not for, holding people to cultural standards. Your black friends obviously would not speak African, because that is not even a language. Is a black american a hip hopping gangster that the corporate record industry or media would have us believe? Absolutely NOT. There cultural identities were erased when there ancestors were on the auction block, they had to create new uniquely AMERICAN culture with what they could salvage out of the devastation of slavery. Not to mention, blacks were not even considered human when this country was founded, they were 3/5's a human being. There were slaves in Jamestown before there were pilgrims in Plymouth and the constitution did not even consider blacks Humans, let alone naturalized American citizens.To this day, the vast majority blacks struggle to find a foothold in a system that once enslaved them and then treated them as 2nd class citizens. Even now, the supreme court (with idiot Clarence Thomas, perfect example of a Black person with a cultural-identity crisis who voted against diversity in schools 2 weeks ago) is trying to undue the fabric of equality, liberty and privacy. As far as Italian-Americans our concerned, I only brought that up because of the following quote: ". Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all" - Ted Roosevelt. So I guess the naturalized 3rd generation Italian Americans of Little Italy and Orient Hts, who still to this day hold their traditions dear to them by virtue of identifying with ITALY are in fact not AMERICAN right!!!! Now on to native Americans, there situation speaks for itself. Native Americans fed the pilgrims, then the pilgrims killed them. Mr. Plymouth Rock, have you been to a Navajo Reservation, because I have been to Peach Springs, AZ to see the Huavapai, are they AMERICAN in the sense that you speak of. Tell me about the American way of life there. The indigenous american way of life. I am not going to say this again, its our diversity that makes us beautiful, we are the world's melting pot. We are the greatest country in the world, but your FEAR of the unknown is akin to the cancer that has gripped so many others. The same cancer that spawns racism and injustice. I know you prefer quoting Ted Roosevelt, but I prefer the likes of Plato and St. Thomas. So in that respect, out of respect of the goods of the human condition and flourishing, god bless America. So call me whatever you like....there is no need to get personal over a little intellectual discourse. By the way, I think the electoral system needs to be completely overhauled because incompetent fearful idiots like George W. Bush, our "decider" peresident, would not be elected. Only then, after election reform, should we talk about what languages ballots should be printed in.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #18
stripersnipr

Great! I don't agree with those opinions and probably no others that you hold, but I do respect them as yours. But I'm a little unclear as to the fearfulness of the unknown you've assinged me after this short exchange. I fear what I do know and do witness every day.

Let's say the election reform you seek is completed and your tickled pink with it. Now how many languages do we print our ballots in? How many languages should K -12 be taught in? How many langauges does our emergency broadcast system need to be transmitted in? How about traffic and street signs? Does the Utopia you strive to create cater to all known spoken languages? This a simple matter common sense not some idealistic wet dream of an unachievable "perfect society". As much as you people want to divide everything into racial lines, decent people will not be duped. I or no one else in my family ever owned a slave.

Embrace diversity as much as you need to to forgive your forefathers sins but don't expect the rest of us to foot the bill and carry your guilt.

And don't you thinks it's a bit racist to tell a kid he can't go to his neighborhood school because of the color of his skin?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #19
EarnedStripes44

I am a realist, not some bleeding heart the-puppy-is-so-cute idealist. It is what, what it is...

With regards to election reform, I think an election ballot should be printed in whatever language a REGISTERED voter requests them in, and did you know most people don't vote anyway, especially blacks and latinos. I travelled to Europe, amongst other places, the French are more intolerant of foreigners than you are, but in there airports, like Charles de Gaulle, there are signs in several languages, not just romance languages either. In their train stations, the same. I think multiple language profiency should be mandatory in public schools, it was in mine. Kids in inner city public schools I tutored in can barely pass a profiency english exam. We are going to need these things in the long run. Multi-linguistics is in our national interest. Imagine the intelligence that could be gathered, lives and limbs saved, cheap gas had, defense spending re-directed if we had more Arabic translators in the middle east, on the ground with our troops, there is a shortage you know. No shortage of complacency and ignorance however. Do you even know what globalization means bro? You better learn chinese, because although you may have never owned slaves, me and you both owe $30,000 dollars a piece (by virtue of being naturalized american citizens reaping that high standard of living) to someone who is not an american, probably some Chinese bank. That 30 grand is going to keep going up exponentially. We are living on borrowed time bro, in a world a lot bigger than what the American official language (refer to post #10) should be, no wet dreams, no time to sleep. We have got to fix what we already have. We work harder for less. No guilt over here, gratitude more than anything else.

i'm gonna get to supreme court race thing too...It's just I am at work, but I have not forgot about you....
Old 07-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Imagine the intelligence that could be gathered, lives and limbs saved, cheap gas had, defense spending re-directed if we had more Arabic translators in the middle east, on the ground with our troops, there is a shortage you know.
We had a lot more but they were all gay and got the boot

-spence
Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #21
stripersnipr

Quote:
Do you even know what globalization means bro?

No. Twenty two years of traveling for a company operating in 84 countries left me with no concept of life beyond Plymouth.

You better learn chinese.

I'm willing to bet it all that speaking Chinese will not be a prerequisite of living a happy and successful life in America. And as absurd as it might sound to you.......the sky is not falling.

You appear to be confusing my lack of self loathing for intolerance. The idea that you think you can judge anyones tolerance from a couple of internet postings says a lot about how your opinions are formed. Accept the fact that you don't have the tiniest fraction of a clue in that regard and move on. And after several visits to France I find your description of the French to be stereotypical and inaccurate.
Despite your denial you sure sound as if your bearing some heavy guilt for something.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #22
EarnedStripes44

Well I am glad you are on the winning end of globalization as am I, despite our debt. However, we are getting away from my original argument about English being the official language. Need I point out, it was you who stated "Yeah but you (meaning immigrants, I presume) wouldn't be aware of them [bigger issues] unless you can understand English". With respect to my descriptions of Paris and other travels I have embarked upon I need not bicker with you, arguing against your foggy memory is an exercise in futility. You mentioned you used to work for a multi-national corporation, how long ago was that? What airport in France did you fly into, was it Orly, because Charles De Gaulle may not have built by then. Enlighten me with your 22 years of travel expertise, because your closed fisted outlook seems to have left little room to absorb alternate points of view (things a well travelled person surely would have picked up). I am not asking to believe what I believe, but you don't respect the logic behind what I am saying. I am not trying to be to personal but are you bilingual (no insinuation necessary)?

Anyway, back to the guilt. I prefer gratitude, because although we exercise a fair degree of choice, I am very fortunate to be the in the position that I am in. On the otherhand, I do acknowledge that their are winners and there are losers in this world. The pickings are slim for those just now entering the game with nothing, expecting to win. Our standard of living is on its way down look at inflation versus disposable income trends. Why make it harder? What do you have to lose if some immigrant family prefers to speak spanish in their Chelsea tenement home, or if adequate spanish or chinese profiency is a mandatory requirement for a high school degree? Its far easier and takes less energy being tolerant as opposed to intolerant, but I am sure you know that, being from Plymouth and all, a community that is 95% white.....which brings me to my next point.

Now we are going to get a little off topic for the moment. So as we know the supreme court voted in favor of allowing kids to go to neighborhood schools over racial diversity quotas. Well let's look at urban settlement patterns. You can't miss an urban black neighborhood unless you were blind. There are very few places in the United States, where you will find blacks and whites living together in a localized neighborhood, very few!!! Terms like the other side of tracks arose from those settlement patterns. The concept of the inner-city ghetto supports that. The schools in the inner city urban black ghetto (although not necessarily racially motivated, more out of negligence....just my opinion) are just not as good as those in white communities even when they are in the same municipality. So how can we say things are fair, equal and balanced with a straight face, when black youth are confined to these "neighborhood schools" and white youth get to go to there "neighborhood schools" because diversity is no longer a requirement. I think diverse schools throughout the same school district are the best way to ensure equal distribution of resources, not to mention the benefits of pluralism. I dont think whites should carry blacks, and I am sick of the victimhood that the media consumes like pigs at a trough on the behalf of certain swindling agitators in pursuit of political glory, but I think if things are equitable, blacks will help themselves. The achievement gap is narrowing and there are more southern blacks in college now than there ever where before. Let us not reverse the clock.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #23
EarnedStripes44

Step outside of your box, otherwise, submit to your political laxity and just say "I don't care..."
Old 07-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
stripersnipr

Quote:
Need I point out, it was you who stated "Yeah but you (meaning immigrants, I presume) wouldn't be aware of them [bigger issues] unless you can understand English".

That really isn't hard to figure out. Hand a copy of the Boston Globe to a non-english speaking person and then quiz them on the specifics of the bigger issues reported that day. Or sit them down in front of MSNBC, CNN or and see what they garner from it. Learning to speak English in America gives that person a clear advantage to succeed in this country. Arguing that we are obligated to instead put our language aside and learn theirs to give them that advantage is ludicrous.

What do you have to lose if some immigrant family prefers to speak spanish in their Chelsea tenement home, or if adequate spanish or chinese profiency is a mandatory requirement for a high school degree?

I could care less whether Chelsea tenement dwellers choose to converse in Spanish or not. I do not however feel compelled to provide them with an education in their native language or spend increasing amounts of some of that alleged dwindling expendable income you note to accomodate those who choose not to learn our language. Nor do I feel compelled to provide electoral ballots, or street signs to them in 25 languages. When I was in High School foreign language study was required but it was not mandated to a specific language. I opted for French. It came in handy in French restaurants, but that was about the extent of it. I'm sure some of our compassionate friends would love to mandate Spanish to our kids but the choice of what langauge they choose to study should be up to them. I do feel it is our responsibilty to provide English classes to all legal immigrants who intend to become American citizens.

My Great-Grand parents were very succesful in their immigration to this country as most were in those days. Learning English was the cornerstone of that success.

Its far easier and takes less energy being tolerant as opposed to intolerant, but I am sure you know that, being from Plymouth and all, a community that is 95% white.....which brings me to my next point.

Is there something wrong with living in a 95% white town? Do you think the Real Estate agent whispered that to us before we bought? Should we force some of us out and some minorities in to balance things out? Shame on all 95% of us I guess. Should I be guilt ridden over this?
Extensive travel and having international co-workers from 1983 to 2005 gives one a real life perspective of the alternatives to life in America and to gain an appreciation for things that many appear to despise and seek to change. I had an advantage many did not.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
...and having international co-workers from 1983 to 2005
Is that what you call all those illegal laborers you hired

-spence
Old 07-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #26
thortum

Oh I wish I could type faster! To sumarize: Throw all the bumbs OUT [including the people in Cambrige], and why are almost all the polititions Democrates?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #27
BW from AZ

I was told by an airline pilot that he can speak several languages but he must speak English to fly an international flight anywhere in the world... So English is the official language of the sky. If he can speak the local that’s fine, other wise its English. So in the U.S.A. do the same. Speak whatever you want with your family and friends but expect to use English in public and business.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:23 AM   #28
Raven

well ,typically the jet pilot thats about to shoot you out of the sky for non cooperation is also speaking English
Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 AM   #29
Raven

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Easy there carbon fibre nanotube guy

-spence
thanks for the checks and balance Spence...
and ya know....
i was at Stones motorcycle shop the other day ........right
and he had the front fork of a bicycle there
that was made out of carbon nanotube technology
and me and this other guy both got to try breaking it..

wow freakin incredible....i am still thinkin about it...
so damn strong ...that it wouldn't even flex like
a metal fork would and then spring back after you let off
on the pressure...

that material is definately going to change the world
there's absolutely no question about that in my mind
Old 07-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #30
EarnedStripes44

Back in Action, or should I say, the action is back.

Is there something wrong with living in a 95% white town? Do you think the Real Estate agent whispered that to us before we bought? Should we force some of us out and some minorities in to balance things out? Shame on all 95% of us I guess. Should I be guilt ridden over this? -Stripersnipr

Nothing is wrong with living in a town that is 95% white. It's just a pity that their are no 95% black communities where the median income is $44,983, but you don't care, right, all meaningless stastistics, empirical evidence that maybe things are not all danishes and buttermilk pancakes? It's not your fault, your completely insulated. The status quo suits your fancy much like those comfortable business class seats on those flights to Geneva. In fact, the status quo works wonders on my behalf as well, it ensures that when I walk past a group of black teenagers at Jackson Crossing looking for trouble they will avoid me out of fear of BPD retribution and instead rob/assault one of their own kind. Less than 5% of black men make over 50,000, so armed black-on-black robbery should'nt much appeal to them considering they don't make much anyway. Only if they all lived in places like Plymouth or Manchester-By-The-Sea. Back to the English thing. The official state language of California (a state that was originally claimed by Spain and then Mexico) is English...but "California, on one hand, agreed to allow the publication of state documents in other languages to represent minority groups and immigrant communities. Languages, such as Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Tagalog (Filipino/Pilipino), Persian, Russian, Vietnamese and Thai appear in official state documents, and the Department of Motor Vehicles publishes in 47 languages". So I guess that is just to over the top for you, too much effort for your taxes, but how about that billions blown away in Iraq, there's your disposable income, all in cause of liberty and enduring freedom, or wait, was it weapons of mass destruction. Eventhough 96% of the U.S. populations speaks English "well or very well" as they put it, California goes out of its way to accomodate. By virtue of that alone it seems to be that English is the "cornerstone" language regardless of whether or not our government mandates it. Like I said before, there are bigger issues. We seem to eject certain elephants in our living rooms into space in favor of petty linguistic preferences.