Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #31
Rob Rockcrawler

This election is going to be a tough decision for me. Ive voted for both parties in the past. I want some change but don't see it happening. The congress is so whacked right now i cant see anything meaningful get done.
The two choices we really have are Newt, Mitt or the big O. Newt is a really smart guy and has some good ideas but the pandering to the Right makes me swallow vomit every time i hear it. Mitt does not show confidence, he looks nervous to me. I have a hard time believing what he says. He doesn't just pander to the right, he just panders. He seems like a moderate at times that takes huge turns to the right but then comes back to the middle. As a business man i dont really know if he was that successful or not. Running the Olympics is running a country, its not even in the same ball park, it aint even the same game.
Ron Paul is a whack who i respect. I like a lot of his ideas, but if they were all put in place i shutter to think what would actually happen. Isolationism isn't a bad thing. I think he is the only one who think Israel should be on their own.
On the social issues... Do they really matter at all right now? Isn't getting the economy back on track more important than abortion etc. I didn't lose my guns when Obama got elected like it was warned by so many. Gay marriage, whatever... The only issue i really care about and its not really a social issue is Social Security. I have been paying into it for a long time, and damn it i better get mine when i retire and i don't mean when i am 87 years old.
When it comes to fidelity in office i really don't care. Clinton did a good job and had his on the side, Newt on the side, JFK, lots on the side. When you are a person in power no matter what the job the opportunities with women present themselves. I don't care if you take advantage of the situation, it shouldn't come out in public. If it does just admit to it. Its not usually that big of a deal unless you are John Edwards, he really botched it up.

I usually stay out of the political forum but im bored and bitter that im not at the rod building class right now. Friggin snow...

Everything is better on the rocks.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #32
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post

All the media wants to do is uncover something bad and never spend any time on the good.
There's plenty of good out here, problem is reporting it won't
sell advertising space. $$$ are always the bottom line.

ABC proved it's liberal bias by breaking the Gingrich open marriage thing
the night before the final debate. So did King, making it his first question
in the debate.

Sensationalism????? tell me something I don't know.

Last edited by justplugit; 01-21-2012 at 09:51 AM..

" Choose Life "
Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #33
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rockcrawler View Post
This election is going to be a tough decision for me. Ive voted for both parties in the past. I want some change but don't see it happening. there is definitely change happening

The congress is so whacked right now i cant see anything meaningful get done. this is not always a bad thing and the founders intended it this way for a reason

The two choices we really have are Newt, Mitt or the big O. Newt is a really smart guy and has some good ideas but the pandering to the Right makes me swallow vomit every time i hear it. what do you consider "pandering to the right"?...just curious...my problem with Newt is that he displays a lot of the narcissistic qualities that we see in the current occupant...people like that shouldn't be trusted with a lot of power...they never think they are wrong

Mitt does not show confidence, he looks nervous to me. I have a hard time believing what he says. He doesn't just pander to the right, he just panders. show me a politician that doesn't "pander"

He seems like a moderate at times that takes huge turns to the right but then comes back to the middle. As a business man i dont really know if he was that successful or not. Running the Olympics is running a country, its not even in the same ball park, it aint even the same game. tougher than "community organizing" though

Ron Paul is a whack who i respect. I like a lot of his ideas, but if they were all put in place i shutter to think what would actually happen. so he's a whack with good ideas and you respect him but you shutter to think what would happen....I'm lost Isolationism isn't a bad thing. I think he is the only one who think Israel should be on their own. well, probably also Iran, Syria, Egypt etc...

On the social issues... Do they really matter at all right now? or ever? Isn't getting the economy back on track more important than abortion etc. gotta fund it somehow

I didn't lose my guns when Obama got elected like it was warned by so many. Gay marriage, whatever... I think his position on this is still "evolving"...that's how the White House describes it...but it's fine if you are him.... The only issue i really care about and its not really a social issue is Social Security. I have been paying into it for a long time, and damn it i better get mine when i retire and i don't mean when i am 87 years old.you will not be getting "YOURS" ...you will be getting the sum of several of your kids and grandkids contributions...you should thank them

When it comes to fidelity in office i really don't care. Clinton did a good job and had his on the side, Newt on the side, JFK, lots on the side. When you are a person in power no matter what the job the opportunities with women present themselves. I don't care if you take advantage of the situation, it shouldn't come out in public. If it does just admit to it. Its not usually that big of a deal unless you are John Edwards, he really botched it up. and his hair never moved throughout the entire ordeal

I usually stay out of the political forum but im bored and bitter that im not at the rod building class right now. Friggin snow...
you are right....it's a tough one
Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Sensationalism????? tell me something I don't know.
The problem isn't media bias, it's this process where we're having 4,000 debates and for the most part there's not much substance. The networks are looking for anything to stir the pot to keep the ratings up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
When it comes to fidelity in office i really don't care. Clinton did a good job and had his on the side, Newt on the side, JFK, lots on the side. When you are a person in power no matter what the job the opportunities with women present themselves. I don't care if you take advantage of the situation, it shouldn't come out in public. If it does just admit to it. Its not usually that big of a deal unless you are John Edwards, he really botched it up.
Clinton and Kennedy didn't leave their wives.

The Gingrich infidelity is much worse, showing a pattern not just of cheating but of leaving multiple wives in the process not to mention the stories of doing so with health issues at play.

This really gets to the heart of Newt's character which many believe to be extremely erratic and egotistical. Gingrich repeatedly states he's the most consistent Conservative, but his track record paints a different picture.

-spence
Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #35
PaulS

Newt helped take us from a time when pols. would drink together after sessions (think Reagan and Tip) to a time where if someone on the other side disagrees with you, they are evil and un-American.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #36
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Newt helped take us from a time when pols. would drink together after sessions (think Reagan and Tip) to a time where if someone on the other side disagrees with you, they are evil and un-American.
from Chris Matthews lips you your ears...icky

"There's something there I miss today," mused the former Democratic staffer and longtime talk-show host Chris Matthews in January about the relationship between Reagan and House Speaker Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill, the most powerful Democrat in Washington during Reagan's first term. Matthews dreamily evoked a time when Reagan and O'Neill had drinks together, swapped Irish stories, slapped backs, and, they say, cut deals with a minimum of personal rancor—as opposed to the ugly relations between the two parties today.

The Democratic Party maintained control of the House from 1954 until 1995.

Newt helped take us from a time when the Dems ran the House perpetually to a time when it has, now, changed hands a couple of times in 15 years .....a lot of people didn't like that....Washington and the goings on there have always been quite ugly, if you know anything about the history of American politics and elections you would know that nothing has changed since our founding in terms of the brutal rhetoric, the attacks and in many cases the complete lack of civility....politics has always brought this out in people and always will, Newt did not help make Washington a less friendly place....it has always been that, particularly at times when power is changing hands...it does make a nice talking point though "Newt ruined civility in Washington"

Didn't the Clintonistas refer to their paticular brand of politics as "BLOOD SPORTS"? The term refers to and traces back to 18th Century England when entertainment was provided in the village square for the masses by tethering a bear.... "bear baiting".... or a bull... "bull baiting" and sometimes even a bager "Newt Baiting?", to a stake and then unleashing mastiffs and bulldogs on the animal where they would then rip eachother apart....and then they'd go have drinks afterward

"In truth, this depiction of Reagan is entirely false, as is the contention that Reagan-era Washington was a kinder and gentler place than it is today. The hostilities between parties and ideologies in Washington during Reagan's presidency make the present day look tame by comparison. No president in modern times has ever been as reviled. And the hatred of Reagan was justified, to some degree, because his presidency, in the rueful words of the journalist Richard Reeves a decade ago, "damned near destroyed American liberalism."

Liberals hated Reagan in the 1980s. Pure and simple. They used language that would make the most fervid anti-Obama rhetoric of the Tea Party seem like, well, a tea party. Democratic Rep. William Clay of Missouri charged that Reagan was "trying to replace the Bill of Rights with fascist precepts lifted verbatim from Mein Kampf." The Los Angeles Times cartoonist Paul Conrad drew a panel depicting Reagan plotting a fascist putsch in a darkened Munich beer hall. Harry Stein (later a conservative convert) wrote in Esquire that the voters who supported Reagan were like the "good Germans" in "Hitler's Germany."

There was ample academic support for this theme. John Roth, a Holocaust scholar at Claremont College, wrote:

I could not help remembering how 40 years ago economic turmoil had conspired with Nazi nationalism and militarism—all intensified by Germany's defeat in World War I​—to send the world reeling into catastrophe. . . . It is not entirely mistaken to contemplate our postelection state with fear and trembling.

Eddie Williams, head of what the Washington Post described as "the respected black think tank, the Joint Center for Political Studies," reacted to Reagan's election thus: "When you consider that in the climate we're in—rising violence, the Ku Klux Klan—it is exceedingly frightening." (This was not far removed from Fidel Castro's opinion about Reagan, offered right before the election: "We sometimes have the feeling that we are living in the time preceding the election of Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany.") In the Nation, Alan Wolfe​ wrote that "the United States has embarked on a course so deeply reactionary, so negative and mean-spirited, so chauvinistic and self-deceptive that our times may soon rival the McCarthy era."

"As for the supposed sweetness and light between Reagan and Tip O'Neill, it was mostly blarney. The two had numerous tense phone calls and meetings. In private they called each other's views "crap" on more than one occasion; as the budget talks in 1982 headed to a climax, Reagan told O'Neill, "you can get me to crap a pineapple, but you can't get me to crap a cactus." O'Neill publicly called Reagan "callous . . . a real Ebenezer Scrooge," whose program was "for the selfish, the greedy, and the affluent." In his diary, Reagan wrote: "Tip O'Neil [sic] is getting rough; saw him on TV telling the United Steelworkers U. that I am going to destroy the nation." He also told his diary that "Tip is a true pol. He can really like you personally & be a friend while politically trying to beat your head in." That was Reagan at his most charitable. He noted once that in a White House meeting where O'Neill "sounded off in a very partisan manner," "I almost let go the controls but I didn't," and on another occasion he described one of O'Neill's public claims as "the most vicious pack of lies I've ever seen."

'Reagan had in mind such O'Neill gems as his remarks in 1981 on ABC that Reagan "has no concern, no regard, no care for the little man in America. And I understand that. Because of his lifestyle, he never meets those people." This was a mere warm-up for O'Neill's blast at Reagan during the 1984 campaign:

The evil is in the White House at the present time. And that evil is a man who has no care and no concern for the working class of America and the future generations of America, and who likes to ride a horse. He's cold. He's mean. He's got ice water for blood.

bet they had a few beers after that one huh?...did he say "evil"....twice?????

Last edited by scottw; 01-22-2012 at 07:06 AM..
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #37
PaulS

Newt and Lee Atwater - who on his death bed tried to make amends.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #38
scottw

Quote:
Newt and Lee Atwater - who on his death bed tried to make amends.
yeah, I'm not having much luck finding where either of them ever referred to other elected politicians as "evil"...let alone twice in one speech regarding a sitting American President maybe he said it with the best of intentions...being good friends and all

here's more Tip...

Tip O' Neill (the powerful Speaker of the House) said Reagan's mind was "an absolute and total disgrace" and that it was "sinful that this man is President of the United States."

probably like.... 3 beers and a shot for that...right??

the right's rhetoric never quite measures up to the left when you actually look at it...but the left sure have selective memories
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #39
PaulS

Seems like when news comes out on these candidates that most people would be embarrassed about they get more votes and donations go to record levels I always thought evangelicals had higher moral sandards.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #40
scottw

Quote:
Seems like when news comes out on these candidates that most people would be embarrassed about they get more votes and donations go to record levels I always thought evangelicals had higher moral sandards.
people tend to rally around those that they feel are being unfairly treated......Hillary always had her highest positives when she was playing the victim...remember the cry in NH? dems rallied around Bill despite being lied to and having his finger wagged in their faces...shouldn't be shocking...Evangelicals and others recognize that people can get on the right path...Newt has indicated and I guess shown that he has changed regarding the issue that you are talking about and I think most found the interview to be bitter, salacious and purpousfully politically timed rather than some great revelation
Old 01-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #41
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The problem isn't media bias, it's this process where we're having 4,000 debates and for the most part there's not much substance. The networks are looking for anything to stir the pot to keep the ratings up.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, they are stirring the pot for ratings for advertising $$$$. Always comes
down to the buck. But Spence don't tell me they're not bias when sensationalizing
a 10 year old story the night before the debate.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Clinton and Kennedy didn't leave their wives.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk about serial offenders,
Prolly would have been betta for their wives if they did.

The Gingrich infidelity is much worse, showing a pattern not just of cheating but of leaving multiple wives in the process not to mention the stories of doing so with health issues at play.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much better then swimming away from a helpless drowning woman?
Much better then President of the US defining what sex isn't as a role model
for the young, digracing the office and saying "it all depends upon what the word is, is?
What about the effect on a young Chelsea?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This really gets to the heart of Newt's character which many believe to be extremely erratic and egotistical. Gingrich repeatedly states he's the most consistent Conservative, but his track record paints a different picture-spence

Sounds like Obama with his ego and lack of fulfilling his BS campaign promises.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #42
zimmy

I thought you guys were pissed that Obama was fulfilling campaign promises? WTH?

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #43
spence

Quote:
Yup, they are stirring the pot for ratings for advertising $$$$. Always comes down to the buck. But Spence don't tell me they're not bias when sensationalizing a 10 year old story the night before the debate.
The story was the interview which just happened this week.

Perhaps this says it better

-spence
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	409283_278854525507760_145209655538915_738443_262501272_n.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	50187  
Old 01-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #44
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I'm not a big Romney defender but his entire income is investment income, he's paying the going rate for capital gains, I also think a lot of Americans have investments "off shore" in foreign investment through their portfolios so I hope you don't fault him, he says he getting no unusual tax advantages from those investments and all of his investments have been in a blind trust since 2002/3....I guess you just fault him for being a rich stiff with no charisma?
scott - I dont fault him at all. Based on the current economic climate, I highly doubt his electability given the % of income tax he pays. He will get killed in the media.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #45
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
scott - I dont fault him at all. Based on the current economic climate, I highly doubt his electability given the % of income tax he pays. He will get killed in the media.
It will kill him if he continues to act like he's hiding something.

There was an interesting article the other day about Romney's taxes...that what he's hiding is how he's used shifting IRA's to get around the IRS's yearly contribution limits. Don't know if it's BS or not.

What I do find is that Romney's difficulty in answering the tax question is really, really odd. He's got an army of highly paid advisers that clearly aren't doing their job.

If he did have a tax issue you'd think he would have fixed it when he ran 4 years ago.

-spence
Old 01-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #46
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

i dont think he is doing anything shady. I think the public will view him and his tax % as the problem and not the solution.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
i dont think he is doing anything shady. I think the public will view him and his tax % as the problem and not the solution.
People know his net worth is estimated at $250 million. He's already stated his effective tax rate.

Romney said he didn't want to let his personal finances go drip, drip, drip yet that's exactly what he's doing.

Once they got wind that the other Republican nominees were going to go with a left wing attack he should have said eff you, released his 2010 returns and talk about how successful he's been because freedom rewards talent and hard work.

Probably would have won SC.

On a work call today I challenged a guy and as he was fumbling over the response I said "you sound like Romney and his taxes."

He's got to shut the door tonight.

-spence
Old 01-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #48
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
It will kill him if he continues to act like he's hiding something.
There was an interesting article the other day about Romney's taxes...that what he's hiding is how he's used shifting IRA's to get around the IRS's yearly contribution limits. Don't know if it's BS or not.
What I do find is that Romney's difficulty in answering the tax question is really, really odd. He's got an army of highly paid advisers that clearly aren't doing their job.

If he did have a tax issue you'd think he would have fixed it when he ran 4 years ago.
-spence
That, and I think if he really wanted to shut the door, he'd release them back a few years. to me, it makes it seem he doesn't want it known how much he earned in previous years...

It sounds like Newt is finally getting around to releasing his FMae/FMac contract and documents

I don't think his net worth bothers people, I have to agree with Jeff for once... it is more than he wasn't prepared to deal with this!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #49
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I don't think his net worth bothers people, I have to agree with Jeff for once... it is more than he wasn't prepared to deal with this!
It will matter to those who are going to vote for Obama regardless which means it doesn't really matter.

-spence
Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #50
JohnnyD

Quote:
He has 400x more net worth when compared to the average American household yet pays a lower tax rate. That is what *should* be the typical voter's biggest issue with him. He is completely disassociated from the average American and will never have any perspective on how the economy over the last 8 years has had an effect on the middle-class.

Lobbying and the homogeneous mix of corporate money and politicians is the fuel behind almost all legislation now-a-days - and Romney is the epitome of corporately-driven politics.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #51
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
He has 400x more net worth when compared to the average American household yet pays a lower tax rate.
again, his tax rate is based on his investment income, he doesn't have earned income, he's paying the same rate as other Americans with investment income..if I am wrong please tell me but this doesn't seem complicated...

I think if I were Romney, I'd release the total $$$ figure for Federal Taxes that I'd paid during my working years and up through present, I imagine that's quite a tidy sum... and then ask if I'd paid "my fair share" and helped fund the Federal Government and all of its programs to an acceptable level through working my fair share of hours, creating my fair share of jobs, investing in my fair share of businesses and reinvesting my fair share of what was left after paying my fair share into the economy to create businesses and jobs and then ask the other candidates if their record of investment in America, in other Americans and the economy can compare..... Haven't heard anyone say what he's done illegally or unethically regarding his income or taxes or buisness ventures but for some reason he's guilty for being successful...I can't think of any major(or minor) scandals while he was governor or at any of the various ventures that he's been part of which all seem to have been highly successful....

also....he should release the total $$$ amount in charitable donations that he's been fortunate to be able to make during the same period as a result of his success

and then challenge the other candidates and the current occupant to show us how they've contributed to the same, how much...and how much as a result of private sector work and your own money vs. the perks of winning an election...I guess if it comes down to hiring someone that is going to invest your money wisely and make good decisions with it for the next 4 years...Mitt looks pretty attractive versus the others

Obama can't even produce a budget on time and thanks to the senate dems we haven't had one in a very long time

Last edited by scottw; 01-24-2012 at 04:58 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #52
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

also....he should release the total $$$ amount in charitable donations that he's been fortunate to be able to make during the same period as a result of his success
Ya, Romney's charitable giving was $3 million on his 2010 return.

LMAO, the great liberal who's liberalism declares you "really care
about the have nots", Joe Biden's charitable giving when he released his tax return
was $350 dollars.

Good hearted Joe, last of the big givers.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #53
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
The story was the interview which just happened this week.

Perhaps this says it better

-spence
Spence, that's it??????? That's your answer, all ya got to my post ???????
My questions to you???????????
Ya gettin lazy in your old age, or is it?????????????

" Choose Life "
Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #54
spence

Quote:
Spence, that's it??????? That's your answer, all ya got to my post ???????
My questions to you???????????
Ya gettin lazy in your old age, or is it?????????????
I hurt my foot...not spending much time downstairs on the real computer and it's impossible to respond to that kind of post on the iPad. Waiting for the guy in India to tell me what my x-ray showed.

-spence
Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #55
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I hurt my foot...not spending much time downstairs on the real computer and it's impossible to respond to that kind of post on the iPad. Waiting for the guy in India to tell me what my x-ray showed.

-spence
you shouldnt insert it into your mouth so much!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #56
spence

Quote:
you shouldnt insert it into your mouth so much!
Nah, my mouth is plenty big enough to hold my foot.

-spence
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #57
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Waiting for the guy in India to tell me what my x-ray showed.

-spence
It may take some time, he's prolly doing some phone tech work
for verizon at the same time.

Seriously, hope your OK.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #58
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
It may take some time, he's prolly doing some phone tech work
for verizon at the same time.

Seriously, hope your OK.
Many 2nd and 3rd shift X-ray reads are from India, country wide
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #59
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Many 2nd and 3rd shift X-ray reads are from India, country wide
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Ya, wev'e come a long way!
Can't wait for Obamacare.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #60
zimmy

Quote:
Ya, Romney's charitable giving was $3 million on his 2010 return.

LMAO, the great liberal who's liberalism declares you "really care
about the have nots", Joe Biden's charitable giving when he released his tax return
was $350 dollars.

Good hearted Joe, last of the big givers.
Romney is mormon. It was a tithe. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Nothing wrong either with questioning a tax system that taxes income from working at a higher rate than income from investments.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.