Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 04-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

Poison Ivy!!!

Friggin Spring. Yeah, I catch some river fish. I also always catch river poison Ivy every year. Got it in badweena my fingers on my right hand now. What is your PI remedy??? Every time I fish, I bust the blisters open, and now its spreading. It's tuff wiping your butt with your left hand when your a righty.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
cheferson

jewelweed,its also ussally growing nearby the ivy. Smash the stalk and smear the sap on the rash
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
cheferson

Last edited by cheferson; 01-04-2008 at 06:03 PM..
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

2 remedies my grandfather taought me that WORK WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gasoline... ya with the price at the pump right now, you won;t be sorry....Dampen a rag and wipe it on... just don't light a smoke.will dry up overnight

bleach 2/3 bleach,1/3 water will dry up..just not as quick as the gas

hope it helps
jim sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
mekcotuit

I use Calagel and Tecnu products - I keep Tecnu with my tackle. Check out this website - www.teclabsinc.com. The tecnu stuff is also good to wipe your gear down and wash clothes with as the oil from the ivy can stay on stuff for a long time. When I have it real bad, I go to my M.D. and get prednisone.........not fun.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
mekcotuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

thanks guys. Those are some I've never heard of.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Go to the doctor....get some Prednisone....it will clear it right up. Amazing Stuff

Just an FYI Poison Ivy doesn't spread because you open the sores. It may be getting worse because you still have the oil all over the handle of your Rod/Reel and everytime you go fishing your getting re-exposed to it. Scrub it down REAL good with soap and water. That stuff can stay on there for months even if it gets rinsed with fresh water

Poison Ivy is evil stuff.....unlike other things where the more you're exposed the less of a reaction you have, with poison ivy the more you're exposed the worse you're reaction will be.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
Raven

Talking i told this story last year too

when i first went to californai we had this big ole picnic
way up in pine valley....
and i met a whole bunch of relatives and their kids
so we were all having fun ..... ya know
and then it became time to play hide and seek...

so i hid right in poison OAK which is similar to
poison IVY ok except its a redish color instead.
looks like those poinsettias at christmas-time ...
all i had on was a pair of friggan shorts
so i caught poison IVY (oak) real real bad like on 85%
of my body and it was spreading fast. hospitalization????
there was no pregnazone in those days.

then i stumbled apon "brewer's yeast " a nutritional yeast
left over from making our favorite beverage....BEER!!
and i started taking it in ice cream milk shakes
wham bam thankyou mam...it turned that situation
around and within a week i was almost poison ivy free.
get it at you nearest health food store....
and any kid with acne - same deal - bye bye

so use anything ya want topically but give brewers yeast a try
......because it has all the B vitamins and works GREAT!
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
maddog2020

Prednisone dose pack - clears up the MEANEST stuff in a few days. Not something you want to take on a regular basis.

Now imagine breathing in the smoke from poison ivy bushes.

Yrs ago my Dad took a nap in a pile of poison oak - eyes swelled up so bad he couldn't see ....... still took a while for it to clear up - couldn't work for a good week or so. After that I made it a point to learn what the stuff looks like.

Here is a piece of info: poison ivy is one of the first plants that will grow in a newly disturbed/cut down area. So that means when you see the sides of the highway cleared or the brush around your favorite swimming/fishing hole - user beware.

Co-workers hubby got it on his genitals when he was going to the bathroom (his wife STILL calls him itchy...... lol, she wouldn't let him near her for months afterwards?!).

Some people can eat the stuff and it doesn't bother them. I wish I could do that. I wish I could drink alcohol as well - another curse I was born with. (my mom and her dad are the only two who can drink).

Yeast is amazing stuff - lots of nutrients in it: IF you can get past the smell & taste....lol.

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #10
beamie

Third vote for Prednisone, clears it up fast. I'm on it right now for the Ivy too.......it su*cks bad.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #11
Raven

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog2020
Yeast is amazing stuff - lots of nutrients in it: IF you can get past the smell & taste....lol.
well personally i like the taste of it...and of course theres two kinds
the flakes that are like real thin and stir into milk easier than the powder and make that 1% milk taste like whole milk again.

the powder usually has a jacked up price i've found too.

the healing power of it is absolutely amazing.
it's my go to medicine (super food) for anything skin related.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
Slingah

I hate that stuff....paint thinner works too.....get the steroid (prednisone)
righty
I ve had it everywhere...seem to be immune now though
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #13
striperjerk1
Still A Plugger

ive,d use lye soap. works for me.
i hate poison ivy.

Dennis
Retired
striperjerk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
missing link

OK RM, listen to me all I have to do is look at that SH!T and I get it
Make a paste of EPSON SALT and water and apply with a cotton ball to affected aera, it gets all cakey and stuff the itch goes away and it will go away in a couple or three days your infected skin will get scaley and dry but it works for me. As a matter of fact I just got over a case of that . Cheap remedy kind of messy , you can go the prednazone(STERIOD) routine for the 5 day regime of med's .
Hey give it a shot screw the Doc all they want is the co-pay
go to CVS and get the EPSON salt
oh yea don't scratch your family jewells
THE MISSING LINK

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #15
bluzjamer

Send a message via AIM to bluzjamer Send a message via Yahoo to bluzjamer
They have some new stuff at the drug stores. Supposed to clear it up in 2 days now. Downside is its $39.
Years ago in school we told this kid who had it on his left hand that if he shot his load on it it would get rid of it real quick. couple of days later he still had it on his hand but he was scratchin his balls real bad.
We called him Lefty after that.
bluzjamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:25 AM   #16
Striperhound

Dont waste your time with the home remedy for this stuff. One year I spent 100 bucks on different herbal remedies, jewel weed and the sort. In the end a quick trip to the doctor and a perscription of prendisone kicked it in a couple days after weeks of misery. Now at the first hint of it I call the doctor for the prescription.
Striperhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:34 AM   #17
NIB

P-Ivy is mean stuff.My brother gets it every yr.The visit to the doctor is the only cure.One time he was covered in it beggin me to drag him down the road from the back of the truck.I can eat it anif he just looks at it he gets it.I think u can contact it from breathing it in also.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #18
Mr. Sandman

If you have it real bad go to the doctor and get the shot containing the steroid. This will clear it up pronto. If you don't it can get out of control when all at PI juice starts oozing it spreads and then that starts to ooze. If you know you just touched it or had it rub against your leg use the over the counter stuff. I keep a bottle of tecnu my outdoor shower and a perscription tube of the steroid at the house and this keeps is in control. I seem to have it all the time.

A couple times I had it really bad. One time when I was younger I will NEVER forget. Face and eyes so sollen they were completely shut, had all over my crotch and crack area to the point of puss oozing out of everywhere. I looked like a friggin lepper. I was in the hospital for a couple days. I was on some kind of steroid and taking baths with oatmeal (very soothing actually). I was a mess for a nearly a month. Nowadays I try to avoid it but it seems all summer I get it. Thank GOD not this bad. (the other time I was in the dunes with a girl on Fire Island and well....you can figure out the rest)

Get a tube of the steroid from the doc and keep it in your house or in your vehicle.

PI is got to be the work of the devil, who else would create such a nasty plant.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:51 AM   #19
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Don't forget the sumac too. My dad and I were both prone to hospitalizations from that and PI. Worst one for me was UMass orientation, Colt45, and passed out relieving myself in a field of yo know what.... Never touched Colt45 again. Tuna can on tangerines, and my eyes shut tight. "I can't figure out how it happened, Mom..."

I almost killed a neighbor when he torched a pile of sumac...... upwind of my house to boot.

Bad memories to get me off to work. Thanks. Have a NICE DAY!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:25 AM   #20
Raven

Exclamation natural remedy's

you have no concept how much i hate poison ivy........

i believe in using both natural remedies and prescription drugs simutaneously...

which is why i mentioned brewer's yeast because it fights it from the inside out! instead of the way topical stuff like calamine lotion and then you make your'self into a pink bunny...

Another remedy i figured out too -- was when the water is warmer at the beach ...i would go in for a swim in the salt water...then lay on the beach til dry.....soon as i was dry ..i'd go for a quick swim and repeat that all day long...that makes it dry up .

using the salt of the sea as a drying agent. works good too.

the beach lot we owned (where i grew up ) was like the thickest meanest hardiest poison ivy i ever saw and it took over four feet of fill to smother that stuff...

i walk now with my double bladed axe sharped ....and go out cutting massive 3 and 4 inch hairy poison ivy vines on big trees...that are 20 years old easy, when i find them nasty things...
being careful to not get any residew on me or my clothing.

those big vines make little tiny blue berries that certain birds eat and S h I T somewhere else makin more poison ivy...so i kill those massive roots
the MOTHERS of poison IVY just like it was an ALIEN beast attacking our friggan planet. I take no prisoners.

another other method is to take
a pump up gardening sprayer and slam in four times the normally reccomended amount of "ROUND UP" and go spray those patches with
it when your about to have four hot sunny days in a row. DIE>
it works systemically
Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #21
Raven

Talking i hate poison ivy so much

that i think there should be a seperate branch of the military eradicating it by what ever means possible on the entire planet!

ooohhhh i hate that stuff.....smother it ,chop it.spray it KILL IT

ok i feel better now
Old 04-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #22
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Weird thing, the body is...
Some people get it, some don't
Some people go thru most of their life never getting it
Then suddenly it happens...then happens again, and again,

Mikey, don't be surprised if the steroid doesn't work as fast as they say it does. It still took over a week after a trip to the doctor's office for the shot. I think different remedies work for different people;;;

Do what I do/did...........SCRATCH THE f#$#@#@ OUT OF IT TILL IT BLEEDS.......FEELS SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOD, SCARS SOOOOOOOO BAD!!... ....it's a NO win situation.
Good Lucky

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #23
PI guy

Run some water( as hot as you can stand it) over it. This will take the itch away, temporarily of course, but for some instant relief it's not bad.

Beer is the reason we get up each afternoon.
PI guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #24
rivsie11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog2020
Yrs ago my Dad took a nap in a pile of poison oak - eyes swelled up so bad he couldn't see ....... still took a while for it to clear up - couldn't work for a good week or so. After that I made it a point to learn what the stuff looks like.

Here is a piece of info: poison ivy is one of the first plants that will grow in a newly disturbed/cut down area. So that means when you see the sides of the highway cleared or the brush around your favorite swimming/fishing hole - user beware.
I had the same thing happen when I was a kid. I missed a week of school after waking up with my eyes swelled shut. I think they gave me some type of steriod to clear it up.

What is strange is that I have never really had it since even though i worked at a golf course for a few years was always getting re-exposed to it.
rivsie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:56 AM   #25
crash
Professional dumba$$

I used to get it every year when I was a kid, couldn't use my hands, breath, the works. Then one year it stopped, I've been without it for 7 or 8 years
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #26
riarcher

Saltwater! Works, and works fast.
Knowing it's a bit cool for swimming,, but a 1/2 day of quahoging or clamming should do it.
Amazing what SW can do to poison ivory, cuts, abrasions, infections etc.
riarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #27
sok
North Shore Lurker

Thanks guys.
Really appreciate this.
Read this thread and I was so inspired I promptly went out and found the ONE SIX INCH TALL POISON IVY SPROUT IN MY YARD!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking paint scraper OR mini grinder with the wire wheel.

On the plus side everyone I work with stays away from me.
The downside is I stick to the desk after a few minutes.
sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #28
Raven

Arrow when Rappin mikey posted

i had caught it too ...dunno where from? maybe from petting the dog..

who knows...just a little of it between my fingers...

so finally i made myself a couple of brewers yeast shakes
with vanilla ice cream... 1 one day..... two, the next,,

now poison IVY is all gone ...like magic.

i practice what i preach...
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #29
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

ivy sucks

Had five cords log length delivered a week ago. I saw poison oak on one of the elm trees, so I pulled that off, great. But tree guy never told me that what he delivered was growing in the middle of a bunch of poison ivy. His crew tore it off of the trees then cut the trees down. The oil was still all over the oak, maple, and some of the elm bark, and now my forearms. I knew I should have had a long sleeve sweatshirt on.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #30
Raven

Arrow when treating poison IVY

now ....we all might be good at not scratching poison IVY
in our waking ours....but when alseep you will scratch it anywhere its exposed...and then ,again unconsiousley ...while asleep ...rub your eyes or other vitally important areas and spread it to there as well.

so i reccommend that you wrap yourself with gauze or wear a long sleave shirt to bed or your gonna spread it ......->everywhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
luckilly its not as itchy as a fire ant sting.....i woke up one morning and i had scratched my arm til it was a bloody mess in my sleep and never remembered even doing it...