Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-30-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
BrianS
Canal Junkie

Send a message via AIM to BrianS
I cant beleive I just spent $9 for a lobster roll

From Captain Hooks....

but man was it yummy...

The lobster rangoon was pretty yummy too...

aim: SaltedBrian
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:05 AM   #2
maddog2020

$9 is cheap.

Try REDS in Wissasset (spelling), Maine - use to be around $14, but that was over 5 yrs ago. All the meat to a lobster was put into a hot dog roll.

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:01 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Yeah, I know Reds....right on the left before the bridge! Famous for its hot dogs and of course the lobster roll......Wiscassett!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:14 PM   #4
BrianS
Canal Junkie

Reds?

I just saw them last week on "The Best of" on the food network..

maybe it wasnt "The Best of"

but it was the food network

Old 07-31-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
cheferson

Lobster roll is like $17 at my work
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
missing link

14 at my work

and thats a private country club

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
chipwood

$9 is cheap. Around here they gotta go for $15. You're better off making your own. The last time I ordered a roll was from Champlins. It was, I think, $12. It was OK,and I like Champlins. Red's in Wicasset is pretty good though. It 's the meat from one whole lobster and the roll with melted butter on the side. Simple but good. My buddy usually gives me a few 3-4lber splitbacks when he comes back from a trip and I make a salad that lasts for days.
chipwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
the Lobster Shack next to the Portsmouth Yacht Club down in New Castle...

HUGE WHOLE chunks of lobster meat
the lady throws the mayo in when you order....
NOBODY makes lobster rolls like that anymore
it was more LOBSTER than MAYO
and NO MONKFISH

Which is what Hooks and Reds and everyone else that isn't a little backwoods hole in the wall does.

Neat trick for parties etc.
Boil your lobster and shell it.
Make stock from the shells/body parts.
Toss monkfish in
Cook the monkfish in the stock.

Instant fake lobstermeat.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
Gotofish

Don't know how many of you guys are in the area but I got 4 2lb lobsters on Sat from a boat in Pt. Jude.....$10 each!

Ed
"I caught you a delicious Bass."-Napolean Dynamite
Gotofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #10
maddog2020

Reds is a small shack with about two or three people inside. You SEE them cracking the lobsters & pulling out the meat.

I don't doubt that some place MAY substitute lobster w/ monkfish, but you can't assume every one is out to screw you. I've had shark at place when it was suppose to be swordfish.
I have also had people try to pawn off skate wings to me as scallops (if you over cook a piece and it is still tender then it isn't a scallop....lol).

Hey, we should set up a time to go chow on lobster rolls! I'm game if we go to likwid's recommendation. I don't know the areas down in RI. I can say, I have been disappointed in MANY seafood places in the Boston area. Nothing worse than paying a lot of $$ for BAD food!

Ray 'md2020'
Old 08-02-2004, 12:14 PM   #11
BrianS
Canal Junkie

My first thought after watching the blurb on Reds was.. wow... yummy....

I definitely wanted to check that place out... Just a wee bit of a ride to get to... heheh...

Old 08-02-2004, 06:42 PM   #12
Fish_n_Dive

Send a message via AIM to Fish_n_Dive
passed it twice today!! and both times there was a line at least 20 people long!!! but great food

If I don't have anything to do with the water, It ain't worth doing.
Fish_n_Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:03 AM   #13
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Using monkfish isn't really about screwing you over.

Its a known trick in the seafood industry to save a couple bucks, can you blame them with the price of lobster? Not really.

Its just like real clamcakes (as in a bunch of fried batter with some clams innit)
They taste great even with minimal clams, but we're always on the warpath looking for ones LOADED with clams.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:10 AM   #14
BrianS
Canal Junkie

When your charging $9 - $10 - $14 for a hotdog roll full of meat, then yes.. I would consider that screwing you over...

Charge me $5 for the roll and ill let the monkfish slide...

Old 08-03-2004, 07:17 PM   #15
kippy
Got Necco's?

whenever i get lobster, I always save one for lobster salad. Mix the lobster with some pepper and mayo then toast a few hot dog rolls, coat with melted butter..mmm..yummy

going up to kennebunkport labor day weekend with the girlfriend, i cant wait! you guys recommend any restaurants up there? I was looking at Mable's Lobster Claw but couldnt find any reviews, any thoughts on the place?
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:29 PM   #16
chipwood

It's not Kennebunkport, but when my wife and I would go to Acadia, I would stop at Thurstons and get three 2lbers and boil 'em over the open fire. My wife is a vegetarian and she would cringe at me eating all three with all the fixins. Nothing like lobster from Maine when you're camping.
chipwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:00 AM   #17
kippy
Got Necco's?

Thanks chipwood, is Acadia near Bar Harbor? thats quite the hike from where I live, about 6 hours. It looks gorgeous up there though. Plus they have the catamaran to Nova Scotia right there
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:43 AM   #18
maddog2020

If you go up to Acadia, then you have to stop over in Boothbay and get some chow over at the Lobsterman's Co- Op.

Freshest lobsta we have ever had - that is what my wife tells folks.

I needed some bait so one of the employees pulled out some bushells of clams and pulled out the crushed ones for me and gave them to me for free. That was pretty nice of him IMHO.

Neat little bowling alley there as well. We use to go and play a few strings at nite. Folks would come watch us laughing and making a ruckas thru the side window and before we knew it the place was packed.

We use to stay at the Atlantic Ark Inn at Boothbay and the White Swan in Camden. Folks at the White Swan are probably the nicest hosts we have ever had. My wife & I use to go to a lot of B&B's before we had a child.

Sorry for rambling.

Ray 'md2020'
Old 08-24-2006, 09:42 PM   #19
maddog2020

Red's isn't # 1 any more - move over to Sprague's!

I stand corrected: you use to see people pulling the meat out of the lobster's at Red's. I hadn't been up that way for a few yrs and we popped up there on Wednesday.

I had two lobster rolls and a clam cake burger plus some frieds. It wasn't bad - not as good as I remembered from few yrs back.

The line was LONG - I think it took almost a hour from the time we got in line until the food came.

Now I noticed the place across the street called Sprague's. Well after we ate I was still hungry so we crossed the street and went out on the pier to try the chow. I ordered a lobster roll and some hand cut fries. I told the lady there I was in line across the street for an hr and how their food stacked up. She felt they had a better product. The lobster roll at Sprague's was BETTER !!! Roll was hot and they had a little chopped lettuce underneath and the meat was seasoned w/ a little more mayo (not as heaped as Red's, but it was a few dollars less). The had cut fries were awesome! I walked back up to the window and told them their lobster roll was very respectable - in fact it was BETTER than Red's. The lady and the guy in there were smiling something fierce and thanks me for crossing over! I told them I would spread the word as well.

$80 later; I was in a lobster roll coma.

Ray 'md2020'
Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #20
Finaddict

Lobster in Kennebunkport area

If you are going to Kennebunkport, there are a number of places in Cape Porpoise to go to that serve excellent lobster and lobster rolls. Cape Porpoise is part of the greater Kennebunks ... all the way at the end is a lobster shack on the town pier, you get to eat lobster, lobster roll or whatever you want on a pier overlooking the water, it si beautiful.

Inside town, there is Nunans (spelling) which is a long-time lobster shack, classic, but also crowded - very good though, it was my grandmother's favorite when she was alive. Across the street somewhat is another restaurant, it's actually a little around the corner and across the street, I think it is called Captain's way or something like that. They too have good lobster role.

Lastly, inside lower port, or taint town, across from Meserves market in the parking lot, is a lobster place and they sell rolls out the back.

Good luck and enjoy.

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:55 PM   #21
Squid kids Dad

I just spent $32 for a pound of lobster meat ..Went out in the parking lot..Cut it up..Mixed in some mayo..Spilt the pita bread..Layed in some lettuce..And got 4 nice pita rolls overstuffed....For what $8 a piece..and I know it was fresh

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #22
PI guy

Skip the mayo and saute it in some good old butter, grill the roll, throw a little lettuce in and plate it. You will never disgrace lobster with mayo again, I promise! It's the only way I'll eat one. You can get it like that at The Lobster Dock in Boothbay.

Beer is the reason we get up each afternoon.
PI guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:23 AM   #23
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

we had lobster rolls last nite.

Boy am I going to look forward to this long winter there's 2 more gallons of meat in there froze

They're on sale this week I think at Hannafords. It's also ~$5 a lb in Maine right now...They're just coming out of molt.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:55 PM   #24
Backbeach Jake

Winslow's Tavern in Wellfleet: $19.95 on a Wonderbread hotdog bun / w frenchfries.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote