Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Surf Bag Input needed

I have a Plano shoulder bag and an Explorer Adventure Pack that have both been taking a toll on my shoulder. I have just now put a webbed waist belt on the Explorer and will try that tonight and tmw morning, but the inserts are loose and not big enough for a couple of plugs.
So, who has used a waist pack that works, how much pluggage does it carry, and what are the pros/cons. I would like to have a couple pencils and needles as the larger plugs for capacity.

Thanks

Ross

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
Fisherwoman

Send a message via ICQ to Fisherwoman
Hey NIghtfighter, get the middle size bag from Aquaskins, not the great big one, but the one half its size, holds big and small with a nice pocket for metals and such to boot. not as heavy as the big one, which kills me cause of my bad shoulder and the fact that I like to put too many plugs in my bag, LOL

It is slick and I think you can attach it too a belt at the bottom so you won;t have so much pull on the shoulder.

fisherwomen & baitcaster
Fisherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
Chris in Mass

Location: Recently relocated to the shores of Rhode Island - East Bay!
I use the Simms Neoprene Wading belt with the large Aquaskinz pouch for my rubber. This has been a great belt. Doesn't collapse like the web belts, comfotable and very easy to adjust. The Aquaskinz medium surfbag (shoulder strap) is perfect for holding a nominal amount of plugs and bucktails. No problem with long term casting. An alternative to carrying a shoulder bag is the small Aquaskinz surfbag, which has three tubes and connects to the belt nicely if you want to only carry a few plugs. It does get a little awkward in deeper surf though.
Chris in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

For years I just used a standard medium sized fanny pack (Eddie Bauer) and put plugs in plastic lure bags which you can buy cheaply by the 100's. It would hold 1/2 dozen large plugs comfortably and act as a surf belt at the same time. Only disadvantage was the risk of losing some if you forget to rezip it, and the neccessity to dig around in the dark to find the plug you wanted. This year I've been trying Aqua skinz bags which are comfortable enough in the smaller and medium sizes.....though the large is too much for me.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Finaddict

Bags

Ross -

As you may remember, I too have that big blue Plano bag -- yesterday I held 18 wooden plugs and 13 big rubbah eels -- 31 lures in all, it was way too much -- not quite as heavy as I had it the first day walking around Cutty on the rocks -- then it seemed to have been twice as heavy ... but Luds48 had the large Aquaskinz belt bag for extra big plugs, he said it was a good choice ...

... as a boat anlger of more than 30 years, I am accustomed to carrying anything and everything that I "could possibly need," whether or not I use it. I infact was speaking with -- I think it was Jules -- last night about carrying too much, how it is something that I need to learn to trim back to be effective ... so check in with him and see what he has to say, because I am in the same boat as you in regards to efficient surf bags.
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
libassboy

When im traveling light i use the skinz belt bag....just enuf pluggage, altho mostly these days im fishing surf hogs and sluggos 90 percent of the time. I stuff maybe 8 of them into my skinz small belt pouch. Its a great little item with lots of pockets and nooks and crannys for leaders, etc.
Other wise i used to use the three row canyon bag, but recently i got the skinz large two row bag and its really nice, the canyon now stays in the vehicle loaded with plugs just in case.
Lots of options out there but i suggest you go with skinz..basically all my gear is there stuff and its just the best out there.
My belt is a black i guess pistol belt i got at a b&t, and its great, three seasons out of it so far and its held up well, and my gear gets pretty beat up.
libassboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
chris L

I use the aqua skinz small lure bag and am going to pick up the new tall small lure bag and the small belt pouch . You just need to make sure you have a stiff belt ( never fish drunk ) to hold up to the weight .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
partsjay
Let's Rock!

I use a Plano over the shoulder bag....but if I only need to carry a few, I went to a Army/Navy store and bought a canvas ammo pouch...put 3 tubes in it...where it on my belt....works great, but only carries 3 plugs. Jay
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
chris L

i have tons of shampoo bottles for anyone who makes their own plug bags and would like them for their bags .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

My resolution this year is to not carry everything I can, I have 2 five slot bags one for day and one for night. I will not put my belt bag on, I will not....

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefishercat
My resolution this year is to not carry everything I can, I have 2 five slot bags one for day and one for night. I will not put my belt bag on, I will not....
Good luck with that. I stopped carrying the belt bag when I realized there is plenty room on the outside of the skinz medium bag to put some medium sized swimmers with siwash hooks on the back. The siwash's don't hang up on the bag either.
luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #12
riverrat2

I saw a sneak peak of the new Aqauskinz small tall bag saturday in the shop, the thing is perfect. Now my Habs and giant afterhours swimmers wont be sticking out the sides.....
riverrat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
RoyL

Can't go wrong with the Aquaskinz.

offthehookfishing.com
RoyL is offline   Reply With Quote