Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
nightprowler
Jburt

rod butt

I have a rod butt (end cap) that has worn through (I have a bum knee so have been using the rod to steady myself on the rocks the last couple of weeks)...
what is the best way to remove and replace?
I was thinking about taking a razor blade to it and trying to peel it off, but I'm concerned that the cork tape will come with it. I didn't really want to replace all of the tape, but I certainly can.
Thanks

nightprowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
spence

If you can't pull it off I'd just cut it carefully...or just swing by CMS on your way to work and have them put a new one on

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
nightprowler
Jburt

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
If you can't pull it off I'd just cut it carefully...or just swing by CMS on your way to work and have them put a new one on

-spence
anyone that might actually know care to answer?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
spence

This isn't rocket science

-spence
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
nightprowler
Jburt

this is very true. but being a scientist i have to make it more difficult than it actually is.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
SeaWolf

your best bet is to bring the rod to your local tackle shop that may have some rod building supplies, such as butt caps. that way you can get the correct size cap once the old one is removed. that is if they assist in removing it. they are typically glued on, but not always.

i dont know if the rod's lower grip is cork tape, eva, or cork ring, so i'm assuming a lot here. you can try and ease into the old butt cap w/ a razor blade and start to cut it off. once you get thru a piece you should be able to see what, if anything, is under the butt cap. then, either keep going w/ the razor blade, or take a screw driver and try to break the adhesive. then turn it or pull it off. if it's just the blank under it, you're all set. take a measurement in metric millimeter and/or english inch of the size of the butt of the rod where you just took off the butt cap. now, go buy a butt cap w/ an ID equal to, but not larger than that measurement. i suggest the fuji brc or brcgc butt caps, especially if you use the butt as a cane. these butt caps come in 19, 22, and 25 mm ID. you can also buy the end caps for chair feet at a local hardware store. they are in english measurements, but dont last nearly as long.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

-spence
I've built and/or repaired more rods than I count and I'd do exactly what Spence described. (Except for the bring it to CMS part).

The beatings will continue until morale improves
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Redsoxticket

Twist the cap in the same direction as the tape.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
I've built and/or repaired more rods than I count and I'd do exactly what Spence described. (Except for the bring it to CMS part).
Let the record stand, my advice was true

-spence
Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
redfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
Twist the cap in the same direction as the tape.
Sound advice. I'll add my .02 cents here...I like the Fuji butt caps myself but if you're using the butt as a walking staff of sorts, a crutch cap would serve you well. Any medical supply store(if there's one local to you) should have a good selection. In the event the cap is too large, you can build up the butt with an extra layer of cork tape.

Truly a wealth of useless information.
redfin is offline   Reply With Quote