Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
angler229

Glitter Question?

So I'm working on some new paint patterns, and want to put glitter just in certain areas of the plug. Anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this. I know you could just sprinkle it on but would like to have in the epoxy. My thoughts were...to mix a small batch of epoxy with glitter and just epoxy areas where I want it. Then once that sets to epoxy the whole plug. Seems like to much work and there should be an easier way.
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
fishbones

They make a brush on glitter paint that's clear with glitter in it. You can brush it on just where you want it and epoxy over it. They sell it at the craft stores. Easy to use and no need to mix 2 different batches of epoxy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
wrikerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
They make a brush on glitter paint that's clear with glitter in it. You can brush it on just where you want it and epoxy over it. They sell it at the craft stores. Easy to use and no need to mix 2 different batches of epoxy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I have tried this method and discovered that some epoxies do not mix well with the glitter paint. If you are trying this try one plug do not do many and learn the hard way.
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

dan, i've dome a few fro myself like that. first i epoxied the plug with clear epoxy. then using a second batch of already mixed epoxy with glitter mixed in i added the glitter epoxy to the areas i wanted it. do this right after applying the first batch and they level together. may take a couple of tries to predict flow and pattern.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Rockfish9

I spray a scratch coat of clear lacquer over all my plugs, the ones I want glitter on, I simply sprinkle the glitter on the wet plug, the lacquer dries qiuickly so it stays put, if I feel the need, I can apply another quick coat.. after allowing a 24 hour "cure" I then epoxy the plug as I normaly would...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
I spray a scratch coat of clear lacquer over all my plugs, the ones I want glitter on, I simply sprinkle the glitter on the wet plug, the lacquer dries qiuickly so it stays put, if I feel the need, I can apply another quick coat.. after allowing a 24 hour "cure" I then epoxy the plug as I normaly would...
Thats what I do on mine also if I just want it in one spot....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
angler229

Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll give it a shot this weekend.
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler229 View Post
So I'm working on some new paint patterns, and want to put glitter just in certain areas of the plug. Anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this. I know you could just sprinkle it on but would like to have in the epoxy. My thoughts were...to mix a small batch of epoxy with glitter and just epoxy areas where I want it. Then once that sets to epoxy the whole plug. Seems like to much work and there should be an easier way.
Dan, you are on the right track with that thought, but try epoxying the whole plug with the clear, but before that take a small amount of it and put some in a separate cup, then add a little glitter to that epoxy, now once the whole plug is cleared with epoxy, then you brush on the mix of epoxy and glitter. It works fine as long as you don't go heavy with your epoxy.
good luck
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote