Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
scottw

Progressive Unemployment

July 10, 2011
Progressive Unemployment
By Clarice Feldman

The great political philosopher P. J. O'Rourke said, "You can't get rid of poverty by giving people money." If anyone doubted that, the present inhabitant of the White House has proven it by tossing away trillions of dollars on projects that had no lasting effect on eradicating poverty, creating employment, or improving the nation's purse or infrastructure. Indeed, his initiatives have increased unemployment, will continue to do so, and must be reversed if we are ever to get back on track. He has given us all a clear picture of the devastating effect progressive policies have on employment.

As the week drew to a close, the President and his advisers surely were gasping at the figures. It is what my friend Rick Ballard calls Wreckovery Summer. Most especially 9.2 percent unemployment, a figure significantly higher than what we'd been led to believe, and a figure higher than the 8 percent we were warned we would face if we didn't open the doors of the treasury to create those promised "shovel ready "jobs. Jobs which today the President laughingly admits were not exactly shovel ready.

As Bloomberg reports:

"U.S. employers added 18,000 workers in June, less than forecast and the fewest in nine months, while the unemployment rate unexpectedly climbed, indicating a struggling labor market." Plus this: "The so-called underemployment rate - which includes part- time workers who'd prefer a full-time position and people who want work but have given up looking - increased to 16.2 percent from 15.8 percent."

Both Obama and his party look like fools or liars. Just last year, then-Speaker of the House Pelosi promised if we passed ObamaCare we would create 400,000 jobs almost immediately.

I'd say she is an economic nincompoop, but for the fact that in the past few years her already lavish financial holdings increased by 63%. Alas, for some reason her economic genius seems to work only for herself and her family.

But, she was certainly not alone in peddling the snake oil Obama was producing. His vice president Joe Biden also promised voters a booming economy. Just last April he said:

"All in all we're going to be creating somewhere between 100[,000] and 200,000 jobs next month, I predict," Biden said, according to a pool report, adding that he "got in trouble" for a job growth prediction last month. "Even some in the White House said, 'Hey, don't get ahead of yourself.' Well, I'm here to tell you, some time in the next couple of months, we're going to be creating between 250,000 jobs a month and 500,000 jobs a month."

"We caught a lot of bad breaks on the way down," Biden added. "We're going to catch a few Friday' good breaks because of good planning on the way up."

"good planning"??

good planning produces 18,000 jobs a month rather than as many as 500,000 jobs a month guaranteed by the assistant dumbass...I wonder what constitutes "bad planning"?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Fly Rod

Good Ole Joe may be right. The white house has anounced a 20 million dollar incentive to hire X - Cons. If a company hires an X-Con you can get a tax rebate of 1,400 dollars. That should drop the unemployment rate.

Can you imagine in the service industry hiring an x-con and having that person work in someone's home. I do not think that the home owner would appreciate having them in the house.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Good Ole Joe may be right. The white house has anounced a 20 million dollar incentive to hire X - Cons. If a company hires an X-Con you can get a tax rebate of 1,400 dollars. That should drop the unemployment rate.

Brilliant, I wonder which genius he has sorrounded himself with came up
with that idea?
Tax rebates for companies hiring x-cons but nothing to hire someone
who is unemployed, looking for work and has a family to support.

But I can hear the bleeding hearts now, " but these poor people are victims
of their einviornment they need a helping hand."
Ya right, while the guy who has worked his tail off all his life, doing what's right and supporting a family has to
do without a job so we can help the helpless.

The helpless cons have already helped themselves to someone else's property.

There is only one thing inmho, that wil START to get us back on track
and you don't need a genius to figure it out.

Cut Spending,Cut Taxes and Cut the Crap.

Last edited by justplugit; 07-12-2011 at 10:25 AM..

" Choose Life "
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

From what I was reading about this, it is to get them to take the jobs performed by illegal immigrants, working the fields and working community projects....jobs they are currently having a hard time filling.

and think of the alternative....they get out of prison and go on the Governemt handouts programs.....which will probably cost more in the long run......at least they are working and being productive in society

and....sad as it is....20 million isn't big dollars for anything anymore

I didn't see anything about $1400 in tax credits for companies hiring them though....anybody got a link to that...I'd like to read about it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
zimmy

I heard or read something about ex-cons working down south in the fields picking(georgia, I believe); doing jobs illegals used to do that aren't getting filled by other Americans. Georgia has come down hard on hiring illegals. something like 90% of the cons walk off the job or don't finish a week. Those that do stay sit around and text and take breaks. The non-native workers picked something like 50lbs to every 10lbs picked by cons.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.